2020-2021 NHL Gear Sitings

A.YOUNGoalie13

Sure.  There is lots to like about both lines of pads and at the end of the day for me it came down to a few small details:

The Genetik pads are slightly thinner at the top than the Vaughns.  I've really liked the way the ultra thin thigh rises on my Warrior G5's don't get caught on each other, so thin pad tops tend to catch my eye.

I liked the strapping on the Gnetik IV better than the strapping on the V9 with one big exception:

The professor strap on the Vaughn pads is the best implementation of that type of strap on the market.  If you want to use a professor strap, go Vaughn and don't look back.

My favorite catch glove of the last 15 years has been a Vaughn VE8 Pro Carbon 2 piece.  The V9 PC is basically the same glove with upgraded palm padding, so I get where you're coming from loving that glove.  However, the G-IV we got in to the store I work at was better.  The break felt really similar, it was literally game ready out of the shipping bag, and the BOA system is fantastic at letting you dial in the fit of the glove!  The Genetik IV glove feels nothing like the earlier Genetik gloves and IMHO is a vast improvement on them.  Either way you go here you'll end up with a glove that feels pretty similar on the hand and is one of the easiest gloves to catch with on the market (if you like a baseball glove feel at least).

Regardless of which model you pick you'll end up with a really high quality product, so you just have to decide which one fits your game best and enjoy!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Sure.  There is lots to like about both lines of pads and at the end of the day for me it came down to a few small details:

The Genetik pads are slightly thinner at the top than the Vaughns.  I've really liked the way the ultra thin thigh rises on my Warrior G5's don't get caught on each other, so thin pad tops tend to catch my eye.

I liked the strapping on the Gnetik IV better than the strapping on the V9 with one big exception:

The professor strap on the Vaughn pads is the best implementation of that type of strap on the market.  If you want to use a professor strap, go Vaughn and don't look back.

My favorite catch glove of the last 15 years has been a Vaughn VE8 Pro Carbon 2 piece.  The V9 PC is basically the same glove with upgraded palm padding, so I get where you're coming from loving that glove.  However, the G-IV we got in to the store I work at was better.  The break felt really similar, it was literally game ready out of the shipping bag, and the BOA system is fantastic at letting you dial in the fit of the glove!  The Genetik IV glove feels nothing like the earlier Genetik gloves and IMHO is a vast improvement on them.  Either way you go here you'll end up with a glove that feels pretty similar on the hand and is one of the easiest gloves to catch with on the market (if you like a baseball glove feel at least).

Regardless of which model you pick you'll end up with a really high quality product, so you just have to decide which one fits your game best and enjoy!

Thanks @Puckstopper, that’s hugely helpful. I would plan to use a professor strap if I go with the V9s, but to switch to the SLR2 style strap with the single piece of elastic and the magnetic clip.  That’s at least in part because I find the elastic a pain to loop through once the pad is up on my leg, but also because the two layers of thick elastic made the pad actually feel too tight. Dennis said I could either add an inch to the V9 style strap or switch to the SLR2 style - can’t really go wrong either way.

My biggest concern with the GIVs is that they appear to be a fairly loose-fitting pad, which seems odd IMO for a flexible pad.  I’d be looking to do something to get that more connected feel, like adding Brian’s version of the professor strap, adding their optional calf straps, or even doing the full Optik 2 leg channel if that’s possible, since I also really like the calf pillow on the V9s.

Like you said, though, either way I’ll be getting a great product and one that will no doubt be a big improvement over what I have now. The GIVs definitely win on looks, maybe that should be the tiebreaker.  Look good, feel good, play good...or something like that. 😂

Edited by AdamL

On 12/21/2020 at 1:14 PM, AdamL said:

Thanks @Puckstopper, that’s hugely helpful. I would plan to use a professor strap if I go with the V9s, but to switch to the SLR2 style strap with the single piece of elastic and the magnetic clip.  That’s at least in part because I find the elastic a pain to loop through once the pad is up on my leg, but also because the two layers of thick elastic made the pad actually feel too tight. Dennis said I could either add an inch to the V9 style strap or switch to the SLR2 style - can’t really go wrong either way.

My biggest concern with the GIVs is that they appear to be a fairly loose-fitting pad, which seems odd IMO for a flexible pad.  I’d be looking to do something to get that more connected feel, like adding Brian’s version of the professor strap, adding their optional calf straps, or even doing the full Optik 2 leg channel if that’s possible, since I also really like the calf pillow on the V9s.

Like you said, though, either way I’ll be getting a great product and one that will no doubt be a big improvement over what I have now. The GIVs definitely win on looks, maybe that should be the tiebreaker.  Look good, feel good, play good...or something like that. 😂

The strapping does come on kind of loose on the GIV, but you can crank it down quite a bit if you really want to. You can also get an additional strap right below the calf if you really want, as well as one above that I don't really recommend because it seems kind of pointless.

I have used the below-calf strap for awhile, I like it but am considering removing it as a test for my foot dropping a little better.

Legitimately my only complaint on the GIV is the seal on the butterfly. I cannot get the tops of the pad to stop coming up slightly when I drop.

On 12/21/2020 at 10:09 PM, keeperton said:

The strapping does come on kind of loose on the GIV, but you can crank it down quite a bit if you really want to. You can also get an additional strap right below the calf if you really want, as well as one above that I don't really recommend because it seems kind of pointless.

I have used the below-calf strap for awhile, I like it but am considering removing it as a test for my foot dropping a little better.

Legitimately my only complaint on the GIV is the seal on the butterfly. I cannot get the tops of the pad to stop coming up slightly when I drop.

Wish I could easily take this quote and reply in the G-IV thread. Anyway.

I’d understand if the front was popping up some in the RVH - most pads do that to some degree - but to hear you say they’re not sealing properly in the butterfly is a bit of a reg flag with regard to longevity IMO.  

4 minutes ago, tubby34 said:

Daveart is a terrible artist and I don't think I've liked any of his designs, no matter how many fancy made up technical terms he throws at his posts. Dear god are his masks terrible.

Dude is super talented. It's too bad that he wants to show off as much as possible and that muddies up his designs.

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Dude is super talented. It's too bad that he wants to show off as much as possible and that muddies up his designs.

You can still find simpler designs from time to time. The 'fancy made up technical terms' as Tubby described may be ridiculous but the amount of details he put on his mask and how sharp those graphics are is just mind blowing.

8 hours ago, AdamL said:

Wish I could easily take this quote and reply in the G-IV thread. Anyway.

I’d understand if the front was popping up some in the RVH - most pads do that to some degree - but to hear you say they’re not sealing properly in the butterfly is a bit of a reg flag with regard to longevity IMO.  

I honestly think it's because I got the boot cut to 80 instead of the normal 84 here. It's so minute, but it's enough for me to want to get a something like a MAX core Optik/SLR, or something comparable "next" time.

I still love the pads though, the stability when down is great.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, keeperton said:

I honestly think it's because I got the boot cut to 80 instead of the normal 84 here. It's so minute, but it's enough for me to want to get a something like a MAX core Optik/SLR, or something comparable "next" time.

I still love the pads though, the stability when down is great.

I wonder if doing the 84* boot and going with a 2 in the knee instead of a 3 would keep the pad more upright and rigid through the top enough to mostly or completely eliminate that.  I'm nearly 100% sure the G-Netik IVs would work great for me, it's just tough when I can't get my hands on a set in person and I know I'd be comfortable in the V9s after trying on a set of the senior versions in store. 

I submitted an order for a V9 set for quote through the dealer I've been working with, but when I mentioned I was deciding between the V9 and G-Netik IV, he warned me to be prepared for most of those little tweaks to cost something - he wasn't sure how much.  "Typical Vaughn", I guess.  He encouraged me to go with the G-Netik IV just based on that, but said he'd submit the quote to see how it comes out.  Still a good chance I go with the G-IVs.

Thanks for your input! 

5 hours ago, AdamL said:

I wonder if doing the 84* boot and going with a 2 in the knee instead of a 3 would keep the pad more upright and rigid through the top enough to mostly or completely eliminate that.  I'm nearly 100% sure the G-Netik IVs would work great for me, it's just tough when I can't get my hands on a set in person and I know I'd be comfortable in the V9s after trying on a set of the senior versions in store. 

I submitted an order for a V9 set for quote through the dealer I've been working with, but when I mentioned I was deciding between the V9 and G-Netik IV, he warned me to be prepared for most of those little tweaks to cost something - he wasn't sure how much.  "Typical Vaughn", I guess.  He encouraged me to go with the G-Netik IV just based on that, but said he'd submit the quote to see how it comes out.  Still a good chance I go with the G-IVs.

Thanks for your input! 

I think it likely would help overall. I would do exactly that if I were to do it again on my GIVs.

I think Vaughn makes a great product, but they definitely will price gouge a bit for small things. I adore how thin the profile of the GIVs is. I have no hands-on with the V9s, but doubt anything is wrong with them overall.

On 12/22/2020 at 11:40 AM, Nohtaram said:

You can still find simpler designs from time to time. The 'fancy made up technical terms' as Tubby described may be ridiculous but the amount of details his assembly line team of painters put on his mask and how sharp those graphics are is just mind blowing.

Fixed that for ya.

DaveBarf template:  Team logo coming off corner of the cage window.  Team city or name written down the centre of forehead.  Number or nickname on chin of mask.  Clutter up the rest of the mask with little details/"effects".

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Naz said:

Fixed that for ya.

DaveBarf template:  Team logo coming off corner of the cage window.  Team city or name written down the centre of forehead.  Number or nickname on chin of mask.  Clutter up the rest of the mask with little details/"effects".

Nevertheless I love masks that came from his studio. It's obvious that he can't do anything by himself just based on how much buckets left 'painting barn' each week.

And another thing is that all that details his team put on masks now instead of Dave himself is what made him the most recognizable painter in goalie industry. Before he was able to hire all of them.

So if I could afford his service or be pro in any league he supports I wouldn't think twice.

Edited by Nohtaram

19 hours ago, Nohtaram said:

Nevertheless I love masks that came from his studio. It's obvious that he can't do anything by himself just based on how much buckets left 'painting barn' each week.

And another thing is that all that details his team put on masks now instead of Dave himself is what made him the most recognizable painter in goalie industry. Before he was able to hire all of them.

So if I could afford his service or be pro in any league he supports I wouldn't think twice.

Sadly, with a 70" HD tv and all, his masks still look like a blur of colors on tv. I guess it's cool to be too cool to be seen by fans. Maybe hip?

Then again... 

BANKSY: HOW THE WORLD'S MOST ELUSIVE 'ARTIST' MAY IN FACT BE 'ARTISTS'. |  transmissionglasgow @glasgowmixtape

• Like 1

I recall Greg Harrison telling me that fans at least 20 rows up (his actual words were “those sitting in the Reds”, the second section of seats in MLG, above the Golds) should be able to identify his mask designs.

At the time he was attaching a trout fishing fly to the backplate strap of Glen Hanlon’s newest mask. Hanlon was an avid angler so this hook was an in joke that the public wouldn’t be able to notice.

Edited by Wonder35
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

In contrast to Dave’s masks, here’s an actual good one for Carter Hutton this season 

06C9F325-1C6F-4C4E-9FE7-D3EDBDA3F10F.jpeg

Tom Draper did it better:

Ranking the Greatest Masks in Sabres History – Two in the Box

Art School Matt Here...

The thing with the current masks is the fear of hard transitions between colors. The artists wash the edges too much with the use of lighter colors to blend the edge. These artists need to be more bold and not fear a hard transition. It's a mask, not a Bob Ross landscape.

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1