2020-2021 NHL Gear Sitings

A.YOUNGoalie13

He's not from overseas but he's the first to come to mind for me.

Stars Sign Goaltender Tomas Sholl to AHL Deal | Texas Stars

Tomas Sholl who's from California. He now plays in Slovakia though.

image.jpeg.52af8e381d577edfdce6711b005268e1.jpeg

Most recently seen in Ultrasonic which makes sense to me as they should feel somewhat similar coming from Warrior. Plus you get the added benefits of better rebounds, sliding, stiffness

17 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Taking "innovation" out of the equation and looking at overall design (knee blocks, shin cradle, calf wrap, etc), Bauer and Brian's still lean pretty conservative IMO when compared to Warrior - there are pillows, bumps, and ridges in abundance on the Warrior gear that aren't seen with any other manufacturer.

Euro goalies always seem to be a bit more liberal in their gear choices.
Have we seen a heavily equipped Euro/Warrior goalie come over to North America and have to switch?

@coopaloop1234, saw your response as I was clicking to post I think it's relevant to your point.

Not that I can say. Maybe the forced change makes them hesitate the call over :P 

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

IMO Warrior would need to ALSO be willing to pay an athlete to endorse the gear, AND be willing to extensively modify/clone gear (like they did with Roloson and Gustavsson).

Their stock gear is too far of a departure from what guys are currently wearing.

Agreed, most of the guys down to their early 20s would still be familiar with older pad styles of RBK/Itech/Bauer they would've worn starting out.

Warrior's windfall will come in another 5 years or so, with goalies who've grown up with the brand.

Edited by motowngoalie

35 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

Agreed, most of the guys down to their early 20s would still be familiar with older pad styles of RBK/Itech/Bauer they would've worn starting out.

Warrior's windfall will come in another 5 years or so, with goalies who've grown up with the brand.

Glad you brought up Itech.
I can definitely draw some parallels between their lines in the mid-00s and what Warrior is doing now.  They tried some funky stuff back then at retail and were able to retain a good crop of pro goalies.
Fortunately, they could lean on JRZ to manufacture for retail and customize for Pro.

For the bolded part, not saying you're wrong, but I am a bit pessimistic for a few reasons:

First, the brand still does not have much exposure at the NCAA/CHL level.  I think this is a critical point in a player's growth cycle, and guys will hisotrically take what they used there when they break into pro hockey. 
Best example I can think off off the hop is the seeing loyalty to the Itech/Bauer style masks in CHL alum.

Second, I always roll my eyes when brands issue emphatic statements like they "choose not to be at the NHL level" because they "refuse to pay endorsement fees" (whether league or player).

IMO seeing unbranded Lefevre during bubble hockey last year was proof that an unbranded line with fairly limited customization options would gain support if the players wanted it.

I understand not wanting to service a specific pro athlete for other reasons (brand imaging, athlete is too demanding, company lacks the staffing/resources to service them, etc), but if a pro goalie is willing to take a bone stock Warrior G5 or Passau Starke or a Battram "whatever-they're-called" without branding, why wouldn't they sell it?

IMO when a company preemptively removes themselves from the conversation, they are changing the dialogue from "not good enough" or "not wanted at the pro level" to "is it good enough for me as a consumer."  There is an important distinction in those first two statements, as a lot of folks might generalize "not wanted at the pro level" into becoming "not good enough for pros, why would I buy it"

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Glad you brought up Itech.
I can definitely draw some parallels between their lines in the mid-00s and what Warrior is doing now.  They tried some funky stuff back then at retail and were able to retain a good crop of pro goalies.
Fortunately, they could lean on JRZ to manufacture for retail and customize for Pro.

For the bolded part, not saying you're wrong, but I am a bit pessimistic for a few reasons:

First, the brand still does not have much exposure at the NCAA/CHL level.  I think this is a critical point in a player's growth cycle, and guys will hisotrically take what they used there when they break into pro hockey. 
Best example I can think off off the hop is the seeing loyalty to the Itech/Bauer style masks in CHL alum.

Second, I always roll my eyes when brands issue emphatic statements like they "choose not to be at the NHL level" because they "refuse to pay endorsement fees" (whether league or player).

IMO seeing unbranded Lefevre during bubble hockey last year was proof that an unbranded line with fairly limited customization options would gain support if the players wanted it.

I understand not wanting to service a specific pro athlete for other reasons (brand imaging, athlete is too demanding, company lacks the staffing/resources to service them, etc), but if a pro goalie is willing to take a bone stock Warrior G5 or Passau Starke or a Battram "whatever-they're-called" without branding, why wouldn't they sell it?

IMO when a company preemptively removes themselves from the conversation, they are changing the dialogue from "not good enough" or "not wanted at the pro level" to "is it good enough for me as a consumer."  There is an important distinction in those first two statements, as a lot of folks might generalize "not wanted at the pro level" into becoming "not good enough for pros, why would I buy it"

Just two things:

1. CHL has had exclusive equipment contracts forever. Hell, remember when every CHL goalie was tipping their masks up in a ridiculous fashion?

This was mostly due to a Bauer/Itech exclusivity contract and was forcing goalies into specific helmets not actually suitable for their head shape.

CCM is currently the rights owner.

https://chl.ca/video/chl-unveils-new-ccm-quicklite-uniforms

Anderson2C20JP20281229-1024x819.thumb.jpg.877e704c36308893860ac98ce5975a06.jpgGibson922.jpg.7da0ba3d30a8d49df8ef57b738dbc673.jpg

2. It's been confirmed that NHL goalies have wanted to try Warrior gear (either during training camp of during the season) and Warrior has declined to provide them to the goalies.

https://www.goaliegearnerd.com/goalie-news/2020/3/3/but-why-dont-i-see-warrior-goalie-gear-in-the-nhl

Whether or not it's them saving face for their gear not being in as high as demand can definitely be debated, but Warriors parent company New Balance has a heavy marketing focus on non North American markets. It wouldn't be too far fetched to see them adopt the same market entry strategy on their hockey gear.

I think the most interesting small gear things will be to see who moves to CCM from other companies for the Axis or EF5 (like Demko) and who sticks with Lefevre after training camps. As far as pros go, I am also interested to see how Brian's does this year, they seemed to be having a great run for awhile that has slipped slightly from my observations (I've crunched no numbers, thinking mostly of Craig Anderson and Thatcher Demko hopping off).

I think if Warrior really wanted in they could be in. They have a pretty large following with their sticks already, which is some definite brand familiarity and a show to many of their users of, "hey, we know what we're doing."

Coming back to the licensing and Warrior discussion...

It's quite clear that Pete wouldn't want to experience another Tim Thomas episode should they re-enter the league with their gear. As someone stated above, if a goalie truly wanted a set, he would get one period, that I agree. They could just place their own custom order and have it delivered to KW for inspection. Of course, if the goalie asks for logo-less gear, that would be a clear signal of a NHL/AHL goalie ordering. Would Warrior accept? Don't know. 

What if it's because the gear is not conformed to NHL/AHL rules? This I very much doubt but one never knows. 

The leagues will go where the money is and who is willing to splurge. It's a monopoly game. 

Very surprising and frustrating and confusing that Warrior won't play with the big boys. Sure, they got their own clout going at the moment and doing fine. Still...I have mixed emotions on this one.

Excuse me...

Excuse me while I cry! | K-Pop Amino

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 2:17 PM, Chenner29 said:

Euro goalies always seem to be a bit more liberal in their gear choices.
Have we seen a heavily equipped Euro/Warrior goalie come over to North America and have to switch? @coopaloop1234

99% of Euro pro teams have a contract with (normally) one company and goalies and players wear what they must wear. There is lot of goalies who wear gears they don't like. Big names can maybe have some special deal that they can use unbranded catcher or so. In KHL (most teams) they get some gear money and use what they want. 

E. But overall it's nice to see NHL 21 is here, Daveart paints some mask and guys get some new gear...everything is ugly, wrong or bad in somehow 😅 Even my daughter can make it better. Weŕe not in the 90s anymore. 

1 hour ago, southpawtendy48 said:

WTAF is the blue on this mask? not sure if it was his choice or the artists choice. either way it doesn’t match with the preds navy AT ALL. rest of the mask is alright but this just pisses me off. it just doesn’t look good

0F1F60EF-03B3-48F4-AADF-18A16238E8F8.jpeg

It’s supposed to be a partial of the Preds logo? 

3 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

WTAF is the blue on this mask? not sure if it was his choice or the artists choice. either way it doesn’t match with the preds navy AT ALL. rest of the mask is alright but this just pisses me off. it just doesn’t look good

0F1F60EF-03B3-48F4-AADF-18A16238E8F8.jpeg

Saros dear no that is not a good look. Maybe if we say that mask is improper cultural appropriation we can get it changed. “As a Texan I am offended by the use of an animal skull on this helmet because it’s not drawn and painted by someone from Texas”

5 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Saros dear no that is not a good look. Maybe if we say that mask is improper cultural appropriation we can get it changed. “As a Texan I am offended by the use of an animal skull on this helmet because it’s not drawn and painted by someone from Texas”

ahaha people will claim a lot of things are cultural appropriation these days... like Holtby’s mask.

• Haha 1