My name is BadAngle 41... and I Superfeet.

BadAngle41

I'm not quite sure when it happened but it probably started out innocently enough, worn out stock foot bed or maybe even just sore feet. I heard about these great inserts and wanted to try them, I mean what's the harm in that right? I could always go back to OEM whenever I wanted. But the reality is I can't. My name is @BadAngle41... and I Superfeet. 

Grafs for years, then a pair of Tacks, back to Grafs, now in a Bauer. No matter what the brand I can't help myself... I Superfeet. Maybe it's been so long that I can't explain what they do, but rather what stock ones don't do. I tried using the OEM foot bed from my S190s and I felt totally off. Complete lack of cushioning on the balls of my feet, heel felt like it was sliding around, and just generally off balance.The cushion on Superfeet (Yellow), very comfortable at throughout the foot. The heel cup keeps my heel in place, a bit raised to move me slightly more onto my toes, and just a more connected feel to the ice.

Who else uses non-OEM foot beds in their skates? If so, what brand and why?

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

I put superfeet in my player's skates for when I used to coach and would be on the ice for 4 hours straight. I have thought about them on the 1S, but don't because I like the extra footbed padding those skates have on the toe. 

@TheGoalNet you're being pretty generous calling it padding on the toe. It's more than none, but that's really the extent of it I think. Pretty sure the screenshot below is of the Player's skate foot bed, but for those unsure what we're talking about...

vapor-pianka-ang.jpg.902f3b1380e9beb2d6e4e574a5e24a86.jpg

I do think it's all about what we're used to though. I threw Superfeet into my S190s right off the bat, including when I fit them during the baking process. So when I eventually tried the Bauers inserts a couple weeks later they never had a chance. 

54 minutes ago, cwarnar said:

I tried Superfeet yellow and had tremendous foot pain.  Moved to CCM Footbeds... Still a little pain at the start, but far better than the Superfeet:

http://goal.thehockeyshop.com/ccm-currexsole-custom-support-medium-insoles.html

Sorry to hear about the foot pain. I've wondered about the CCM soles. I live in a hockey starved area to say the least and the only shop in town (more-less) is a Perani's with weak inventory at best. They had a display with these inserts and looked interesting, but I think given my comfort level with Superfeet I never looked into them much.

I use Superfeet yellow in my player skates that haven't been on my feet in a year and a half. I use custom molded graf SIDAS in my VH because the stock VH insole would slip to the front of the toe box and jammed my toes. The padding has started to wear out though and I can now feel where the edge of the plastic underside ends on the balls of my feet. I've ordered a pair of True insoles to see if they're any better.

Otherwise, I'll be on the hunt for something. Probably superfeet pro carbon, though I'd prefer something with a bit more padding. Superfeet yellow would lift my heel too much so it's not an option. I also considered superfeet black or some other non-hockey version that doesn't have the heel stabilization/lifts.

On 10/23/2017 at 12:08 PM, BadAngle41 said:

@TheGoalNet you're being pretty generous calling it padding on the toe. It's more than none, but that's really the extent of it I think. Pretty sure the screenshot below is of the Player's skate foot bed, but for those unsure what we're talking about...

I do think it's all about what we're used to though. I threw Superfeet into my S190s right off the bat, including when I fit them during the baking process. So when I eventually tried the Bauers inserts a couple weeks later they never had a chance. 

Yes, this is what I am talking about. I like this because I don't wear socks with my skates. I also wear my skates ridiculously tight. These make the skates more comfortable because my inner big toe is not rubbing against the plastic. 

14 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yes, this is what I am talking about. I like this because I don't wear socks with my skates. I also wear my skates ridiculously tight. These make the skates more comfortable because my inner big toe is not rubbing against the plastic. 

I have a bump on my big toe from it rubbing on toe caps. I had to wear a silicone toe protector in my old skates. 

VH added space for that toe, though. So no longer an issue.

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

Gotcha... not sure why but I would have pegged you for not only a sock guy... but a kevlar sock guy. 

On that note... I've stopped using mine. After so many washers the kevlar in the socks felt like fiberglass against my leg. 

Lastly, I wasn't a ridiculously tight skate guy until these Bauers. You almost have to tie them that tight I think. 

I wear custom orthotics because my feet pronate, but since the orthotics are too big for skates I looked at superfeet. They pushed into my arches in the same spot as my orthotics (not nearly as dramatically, but in the right spot) and I've been using them ever since. 

I did try about a year with the stock 1S footbed, I liked the grippy texture, but ultimately my feet would get sore every couple games, so I'm back in the carbon hockey superfeet. 

12 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

What skates do you have them in and why? Mostly for cushioning? Arch support? Heel cup?

I have Graf skates. Not sure why I have the ShockDoc insoles :) Maybe because they were $20 and felt a little better than stock insoles? I just checked IceWarehouse, and Superfeet cost $55 (!!) give me a break. And "Pro Carbon" for insoles? Really? I know marketing hockey stuff with "Pro" and "Carbon" works great, but why would anyone want "carbon" insoles (??) ...and Pro? Um...ok...LOL

I have these. $20. I'm happy.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Shock_Doctor_Insole_Hockey_Skate_Footbeds/descpage-SDSI.html

Have used Superfeet yellow in my player skates for a very long time. When I started playing goalie it took me about one skate to realize I still need them. With me I think its the heel cup that I am used to. I have tried a few different goalie skates looking for a good fit and have a pair of VH on the way. Probably won't even try the stock insole and just throw the Superfeet in straight away.

4 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I have Graf skates. Not sure why I have the ShockDoc insoles :) Maybe because they were $20 and felt a little better than stock insoles? I just checked IceWarehouse, and Superfeet cost $55 (!!) give me a break. And "Pro Carbon" for insoles? Really? I know marketing hockey stuff with "Pro" and "Carbon" works great, but why would anyone want "carbon" insoles (??) ...and Pro? Um...ok...LOL

I have these. $20. I'm happy.

http://www.icewarehouse.com/Shock_Doctor_Insole_Hockey_Skate_Footbeds/descpage-SDSI.html

I know what you're saying. I still have the old non-carbon style. Still weren't cheap, and eventually I'll have to pony up for the carbon.

12 minutes ago, ULTIMA said:

Personally not a fan. While they do seem to work as advertised, they just weren't for me. Plus, they STINK so bad, so quickly. Every pair of skates that I sharpened with those beds in them just reek. They hold the moisture in.

Can't say I've had that issue although I can understand why you would. I'm pretty religious about taking out the liners and drying them and my boots separately after a skate.

4 hours ago, ULTIMA said:

Personally not a fan. While they do seem to work as advertised, they just weren't for me. Plus, they STINK so bad, so quickly. Every pair of skates that I sharpened with those beds in them just reek. They hold the moisture in.

Yeah that’s probably true. I had my skate sharpener specifically call me out on my stink recently. I also don’t wear socks though :)

36 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Yeah that’s probably true. I had my skate sharpener specifically call me out on my stink recently. I also don’t wear socks though :)

Filthy animals. @ULTIMA @Punisher Goalie

If you refuse to air out you equipment... I found a helpful site on the inter web...

https://www.wikihow.com/Disinfect-Used-Shoes

Archived