Done With Otny

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Only 2? Pretty sure 3-4 in rotation is mandatory.

True story.  When I started I only had 1 mask so at least a spare cage in stock was mandatory.  Since then my hoarding "skills" took over and I'm running a multiple unit fleet.  Offers the opportunity to change things up a bit every skate and definitely helps with back-ups. 

26 minutes ago, Math. said:

True story.  When I started I only had 1 mask so at least a spare cage in stock was mandatory.  Since then my hoarding "skills" took over and I'm running a multiple unit fleet.  Offers the opportunity to change things up a bit every skate and definitely helps with back-ups. 

Man, I was being facetious.

I think almost all of us only have one mask available.

That sure does look quite dry fiberglass from the image. But hard to say more without seeing under the wraps and so. And yes, when glassfiber is broken it looks dry on the wrecked area. But all in all leading my thoughts to dry fiberglass meaning very little resin + possibly incompatible adhesive on wrapping dealing with that resin.... Fiberglass mat itself is very stable material.

It was a good slapshot that got there?

Edited by ArdeFIN

Hey all:

Thanks for this discussion up to this point - very interesting and informative. @Puckstopper - interesting to hear the rules and reasons in an area outside of hockey - thanks!

Perhaps we could review the rule of thumb for replacing a cage - dent deeper than a bar diameter or ? Right now I have a couple of pretty good ones, but not really looking to replace it if I don't have to (and it's not being used much currently due to the state of the world :().

2 hours ago, Colander said:

Hey all:

Thanks for this discussion up to this point - very interesting and informative. @Puckstopper - interesting to hear the rules and reasons in an area outside of hockey - thanks!

Perhaps we could review the rule of thumb for replacing a cage - dent deeper than a bar diameter or ? Right now I have a couple of pretty good ones, but not really looking to replace it if I don't have to (and it's not being used much currently due to the state of the world :().

I just replace them when they look like this😂😂😂

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

That sure does look quite dry fiberglass from the image. But hard to say more without seeing under the wraps and so. And yes, when glassfiber is broken it looks dry on the wrecked area. But all in all leading my thoughts to dry fiberglass meaning very little resin + possibly incompatible adhesive on wrapping dealing with that resin.... Fiberglass mat itself is very stable material.

It was a good slapshot that got there?

It was a hard shot from a skills coach! I swear skaters don’t get any smarter no matter how old they get!

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

After 3 cages in under a year, and now this, I am done with otny. The only way I wear one of their masks again is if they replace this one for free. No mask should ever do this.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

What model of OTNY did you go with? I just got my CC and the jury is still out on how I like it. Took one glancing shot off the dome and got some ringing but didn’t feel the actual did or any ouch moments. 

Just now, Quadzilla32 said:

What model of OTNY did you go with? I just got my CC and the jury is still out on how I like it. Took one glancing shot off the dome and got some ringing but didn’t feel the actual did or any ouch moments. 

Mine is the x1 elite. Was really a good mask while it lasted, except it lasted less than 2 years

39 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

I just replace them when they look like this😂😂😂

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

It's good you replace them. Cages denting are good. It's means the energy was absorbed by the cage and less transferred to your head. I believe it's a matter of opinion, but building a cage that is too stiff might actually be less safe

I'm sure this will lead to a skewering from the experts...

For me I've confidently (and successfully) played with slightly bent wires - thought process being that metal wire doesn't really get pliable until or rather unless it were to work back and forth (which loans to not working your bends back out). Granted - a significant bend would be a different matter. The bigger tell for me has always been whether or not a weld has busted loose. To me - that's call for an immediate replacement. If I replaced a cage every time a wire got bent - I'd probably buy stock in goal cages.

Edited by chile57

1 hour ago, TheGoalNet said:

It's good you replace them. Cages denting are good. It's means the energy was absorbed by the cage and less transferred to your head. I believe it's a matter of opinion, but building a cage that is too stiff might actually be less safe

Part of why bauer stopped using titanium cages, however bishop still uses them

8 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Part of why bauer stopped using titanium cages, however bishop still uses them

Titanium is a very difficult material to work with in cages. The issue is not Ti, it's the welding of the material that is complicated.

I have a Ti cage from Lefevre (gift directly from Pat... had to drop that! 😛) and it's been through 3 masks and going strong. The right process is required to do Ti and then it needs to be repeatable. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Titanium is a very difficult material to work with in cages. The issue is not Ti, it's the welding of the material that is complicated.

I have a Ti cage from Lefevre (gift directly from Pat... had to drop that! 😛) and it's been through 3 masks and going strong. The right process is required to do Ti and then it needs to be repeatable. 

What were you dropping, the fact that you are sooooo lucky to get gear from lefevre, or the fact that lefevre is getting into the mask industry and you knew about if before everyone else?😃😃😃

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, chile57 said:

I'm sure this will lead to a skewering from the experts...

For me I've confidently (and successfully) played with slightly bent wires - thought process being that metal wire doesn't really get pliable until or rather unless it were to work back and forth (which loans to not working your bends back out). Granted - a significant bend would be a different matter. The bigger tell for me has always been whether or not a weld has busted loose. To me - that's call for an immediate replacement. If I replaced a cage every time a wire got bent - I'd probably buy stock in goal cages.

Agree on all but one  point: anytime metal is bent (plastically deformed) it work hardens to some extent. That makes it slightly harder but slightly more brittle. When you bend a piece of metal back and forth 'til it breaks you are successively work hardening it 'til it becomes brittle enough to snap.

14 hours ago, Colander said:

Agree on all but one  point: anytime metal is bent (plastically deformed) it work hardens to some extent. That makes it slightly harder but slightly more brittle. When you bend a piece of metal back and forth 'til it breaks you are successively work hardening it 'til it becomes brittle enough to snap.

I think we're talking the same language here just presenting it differently. My point being a single significant strike (enough to bend wire slightly) isn't enough to get me worried - its not going to have the same effect as working it over enough that it snaps. Sure - I agree its closer to a failure point than it was when pristine but how many of us playing beer leagues have had a Nabokov moment (bad example since I believe that was titanium)? Everything is risk/reward and based on what you're comfortable with when factoring in all the data available to you. That said - its a good general rule of thumb to not take ridiculous chances with your melon.

Edited by chile57

2 hours ago, chile57 said:

I think we're talking the same language here just presenting it differently. My point being a single significant strike (enough to bend wire slightly) isn't enough to get me worried -" its not going to have the same effect as working it over enough that it snaps. Sure - I agree its closer to a failure point than it was when pristine but how many of us playing beer leagues have had a Nabokov moment (bad example since I believe that was titanium)? Everything is risk/reward and based on what you're comfortable with when factoring in all the data available to you. That said - its a good general rule of thumb to not take ridiculous chances with your melon.

Yes - you are correct -I was splitting a few hairs with my comment. As with you, I have a number of dents in my (mild steel) cage, but don't see it as a risk.As per some other comments, I would probably be more concerned if it was titanium- it's tricky to weld and is a harder material. TBH I doubt I would ever own a Ti cage - I'd rather have the cage dent more freely and absorb the shock.

But one point you mentioned should be reinforced: the comment "... its not going to have the same effect as working it over enough that it snaps." Yes for anyone that feels the urge, you have more chance of damaging the cage if you try to hammer the dents out - better to leave sleeping dogs lie.

• Like 1

Not an expert on this but have to say, the welds are the weak spot when bending the wires on cage. But ofcourse it is also a matter of welding quality. I've tested some normal quick (spot)welded wire to wire joints and those will break with a very little wiggle put into. (I was using an old wire -made stand for a recycle material when I noticed that the welds were easy to get apart without any tools)

For example Wall cages are made to last welding-wise but they do cost quite a lot for some meters of steel wire and a lot of work.

All Wall cages are manufactured in Finland and made out of stainless spring steel. Each cage is spot welded and TIG ensured with handcrafted, carefully measured threads.

The wires will still bend when enough energy is put on them. And I tend to think like TheGoalNet said, it's good to have some give on cage and leave some energy to it even when it gets bend badly and needs replacement.

• 7 months later...