Done With Otny

Be prepared for a long read: my opinion comes from my times in constructing composites.  Adhesives are the big wild card. Some adhesives are pretty inert, others are nasty. Whether or not the adhesives are marked as permanent, semi-permanent or temporary doesn’t matter. I have seen adhesives do crazy stuff over the years. Some adhesives will destroy lacquer. Catalyzed polyurethane is tough, but some adhesives can even do strange things to that finish. Add to that the number of cheap car wraps of dubious origin that  you can buy on eBay, it could be a disaster.

That shell did it’s job the first time. Depending on whether or not the adhesive used in the wrap had any interaction with the resin used in constructing the mask, it could have been repaired, though replacement of the shell would have been better. Pucks travelling hard enough can become semi-sharp objects and angle is everything. Sometimes it is a lucky shot that can almost penetrate. From the looks of it, that shot would have put you in hospital if you were wearing plastic helmet/cage combo. The dryness of the material from pix does look somewhat dubious, but eye-witness inspection would be necessary to see if it was a case of low wet out/improper compaction/etc.  In essence, that shell saved you from serious injury the FIRST time and asking it to perform yet again is a bit too large of an ask.

There is a reason why many mask manufacturers have a list of approved painters and wrappers as they know for certain what is being used and whether or not the products interact with either the integrity or ability to repair. If someone is not on their list, they likely have never interacted with said paint or wrap provider to know what is being used. There are so many impediments to adhesion and repairs. Rattlebomb paint is nasty stuff and most painters I know HATE trying to remove that stuff. One bit of silicone in tyre dressing can make it very difficult to repaint wheels. There are so many variables to the equation. This is why many manufacturers of items will not warranty a product if what is done to it after the sale is not approved by them as they literally have no idea if it was workmanship, catastrophic use or something interacting with the resins. If I were making a mask and I saw that, the best I would do is offer you 50% off the price of a new one in a no-fault warranty since you wrapped with a non-approved product. 

You should have replaced that shell after the first impact that exposed the carbon. You were saved from serious injury on that first delamination.

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Thanks 1