Imperative

well game one of the season against our “arch rivals” and they ran our show, haha. The game was not as close as the score would suggest. Personally I wasn’t prepared for “game speed” having only played half speed shinny for the last two months. I gave up a couple of soft goals 5 Hole and then got torched top shelf for 4 of the goals, a turn over resulted in a 2-0 down low for another goal and a cross ice pass that was well placed for another goal. I didn’t feel very good about the way I played and needed to make a couple of key saves that would’ve gave us a chance to win. Next game is tonight so hopefully I can bounce back and have a better game. 

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I don't know what the hell you are supposed to do with the play @ 1:01. Big whoopsie on the aborted breakout; shame too because your team would have had 2 of their men trapped. I really thought you had the goal @ 2:39...kinda emblematic of the game: right there but just a bit off. Incredible series of stops @ 3:21. The goal @ 4:20 is just so wtf. The goal @ 5:04 was a great shot but you were drifting back as he approached with the puck out to his side. He was going to shoot the whole time. What a shot @ 5:50!

You were fine with the pace; you weren't behind the play at all. Your team actually looked a little tentative. Just G1; not big thing. You'll be great tonight. Good luck!

On 2017-10-26 at 10:45 AM, Fullright said:

Well, I don't know what the hell you are supposed to do with the play @ 1:01. Big whoopsie on the aborted breakout; shame too because your team would have had 2 of their men trapped. I really thought you had the goal @ 2:39...kinda emblematic of the game: right there but just a bit off. Incredible series of stops @ 3:21. The goal @ 4:20 is just so wtf. The goal @ 5:04 was a great shot but you were drifting back as he approached with the puck out to his side. He was going to shoot the whole time. What a shot @ 5:50!

You were fine with the pace; you weren't behind the play at all. Your team actually looked a little tentative. Just G1; not big thing. You'll be great tonight. Good luck!

Thanks fullright! We had a much better game last night and I played much better and was able to pick up the win. My team always talks a lot a out being pumped up to play the Brutes but when we do play them, guys aren’t ready to play and don’t play well.

On 2017-10-26 at 10:45 AM, Fullright said:

Bounce back game Thursday night. Once again we didn’t have our “a” squad including missing my top D man. The Sharks are also a team that has had our number in the past . We did manage to put together a good effort though, the boys got a lot of sticks in passing lanes and shot attempts which made a huge difference. I also played much better than the Brutes game. I felt like I battled much better to keep my eyes on the puck through traffic, I read the play much better and overall just a better effort. 

G1: Easy to say but hard to do: stay set and try not to commit too early. Great stops on the deflection @ 1:18, the shot @ 1:33, 1:42!...ok, you're your regular self @ 1:51 (felt good didn't it?, dig the bounce on your skates, lol). G2 is a broken play, and G3 is an awesome tip. Lol @ the grab @ 2:45, 3:01 boot!, 3:59 was off the scale. My fav was the one on the rebound @ 1:42. Great job! Pretty cool the way you settled in and established your groove. You looked a little anxious at first but you let your experience settle you down and find your groove. Extremely well done esp after Game 1. Your team settled down too. Big guy #9 will see you in his sleep; he's a good player.

Thanks for the kind words Fullright! Yeah goal one I was behind the play and I should’ve come back paddle down sealing the ice. 2nd goal you couldn’t see it in the video but the puck literally changed directions off the bounce, it should’ve been in the corner and it bounced back on the guys stick. The third goal was after a 3 minutes power play we were hemmed in our our own zone for another 1.5 minutes and everyone including me was fatigued. I was pretty pumped on that first breakaway save, I felt like I finally found my rythm again. 

well here is game 4 of the Vikings season. Another team that we had never played before. They were a team that worked really hard but didn’t have a ton of skill, that said they probably had more shot attempts than actual shots on goal. We trailed in the game for almost the entire game but were able to score the go ahead goal in the final 5 minutes and finished the game on the penalty kill. I played ok, kind of like the previous game, I wasn’t my best but good enough to win. First goal I was scrambling around and was out of position to make the save even though it did go off of my shoulder before going in. The 2nd goal I was asleep at the wheel and once again got a piece as it went in. 3rd goal I dropped down too early and didn’t get enough of my arm on it before it went in. 4th goal it was like slow motion as the puck slid through my legs and I wasn’t able to corral it before it went in. 5th goal was a bit of a scramble in front and I made the initial save but they were able to tap the rebound in. Like I said not my best game, I have a few things to work on in the next shinny. I forgot to mention but a few weeks ago I was one of 8 winners of Piranha Pegs Instagram contest and have been using their pegs for the last 3 games. It has made a big difference in the way I can play down low and am able to push off of the posts. 

The Nov 2nd game looked to be a pain in the a ss. Nice goals but not much work to get a flow established. The Nov 5th game looked much better with lots of pace. A few times it looked like it was going into hyperspace esp when you made a very quick grab in a scramble to your left. I don't think you're dramatic at all...he skate booted you on the top of the head. You ok?

Good on you for your toughing it out...nice game.

Nice game, you move around the net really well. Some tough goals, but you bailed your team out more than enough to have earned that win.

I'd say the one thing I noticed (and mostly because it's something I keep trying to improve in my game as well) is that you're often following a little behind the puck on a lot of plays, reacting with speed but only when required. The 2nd goal you stay down on the post for far too long, because the puck isn't in a dangerous position. As soon as it gets to a shooter in the house you react, and fast, but you don't have enough time to even get into position before the puck is off his stick and in the net. 

I used to tell myself "well, I'm just conserving energy so I can be fast when I need to make the save", but in reality it's much more efficient to move with speed to get your body in position before the shot, rather than wait and react with speed once the puck is already in a dangerous spot. 

And yeah, I don't think you overreact to the head hit at all. I know how you feel too, in my game last week, I had the net dropped on the back of my head while I was on the ice after being hit. 

3 hours ago, Fullright said:

The Nov 2nd game looked to be a pain in the a ss. Nice goals but not much work to get a flow established. The Nov 5th game looked much better with lots of pace. A few times it looked like it was going into hyperspace esp when you made a very quick grab in a scramble to your left. I don't think you're dramatic at all...he skate booted you on the top of the head. You ok?

Good on you for your toughing it out...nice game.

Yeah it was tough to stay super focused in that earlier game. The 2nd game was a bit different and another team I have never played before so I don’t really have a “book” or scouting report on them, haha. That save where I reached back to make the save I totally lost the puck when it was bouncing around and was able to find it in the air. Like I said the kick to the head stunned me, I realize he didn’t mean to do it but I don’t know why he went so hard to the net after I clearly had the puck. 

3 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Good game, enjoyed watching. I didn’t think you were dramatic at all after getting clocked in the head. Rather subdued if you ask me. Did you at least get an apology?

He did apologize and asked if I was ok. It was fine and I’m fine, I just didn’t understand why he went so hard to the net when I clearly had the puck and no rebound available.

2 hours ago, Puckducker said:

Nice game, you move around the net really well. Some tough goals, but you bailed your team out more than enough to have earned that win.

I'd say the one thing I noticed (and mostly because it's something I keep trying to improve in my game as well) is that you're often following a little behind the puck on a lot of plays, reacting with speed but only when required. The 2nd goal you stay down on the post for far too long, because the puck isn't in a dangerous position. As soon as it gets to a shooter in the house you react, and fast, but you don't have enough time to even get into position before the puck is off his stick and in the net. 

I used to tell myself "well, I'm just conserving energy so I can be fast when I need to make the save", but in reality it's much more efficient to move with speed to get your body in position before the shot, rather than wait and react with speed once the puck is already in a dangerous spot. 

And yeah, I don't think you overreact to the head hit at all. I know how you feel too, in my game last week, I had the net dropped on the back of my head while I was on the ice after being hit. 

Yeah I really noticed that last two games that I am dragging behind the play not being in sync and set for shots. 

3 hours ago, Imperative said:

Yeah I really noticed that last two games that I am dragging behind the play not being in sync and set for shots. 

It happens, it's tough to stay "urgent" at all times. I know I get pretty lax when it comes to that all the time. It's probably the main reason that I find that I play much better the higher skill level I play at. The faster speed of the game forces me to keep moving fast at all times to keep up. 

But when I play my saturday morning pick up, it's a lot harder to keep that speed up. I've started trying to force myself to move with speed, even when it's really not necessary (coming out to play the puck, skating around between whistles), just to try and keep my mind focused on quick legs, even if the game itself is slow. 

So are you using the goal pegs during the games? Do you switch them after each period? So that means you have to switch the pegs and the camera after each period?

What was the sound your skates were making? Is it that they were really sharp or is it a special kind of steel? Keep in mind I'm still using 1990s technology with my Graf 750 Goaler Pros.

I used to sub on a team that was way too good for the division they were in. During those games I could take a nap and let everything in and we'd be able to win 11-10 (That didn't actually happen, I'm just pointing out how good they were relative to their competition). So I decided to use those games to practice maintaining my focus. I watched the action at the other end intently and imagined I'd be called upon at any moment. This is similar to how soccer goalkeepers who play for good teams need to be ready for that one vital save they'll need to make to ensure victory. It worked pretty well and I got some shutouts that in previous years I would have messed up due to lack of focus. I believe it has helped my game now.

You certainly do move around well and your down movement is good. Although my hips hurt watching.

16 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

So are you using the goal pegs during the games? Do you switch them after each period? So that means you have to switch the pegs and the camera after each period?

What was the sound your skates were making? Is it that they were really sharp or is it a special kind of steel? Keep in mind I'm still using 1990s technology with my Graf 750 Goaler Pros.

I used to sub on a team that was way too good for the division they were in. During those games I could take a nap and let everything in and we'd be able to win 11-10 (That didn't actually happen, I'm just pointing out how good they were relative to their competition). So I decided to use those games to practice maintaining my focus. I watched the action at the other end intently and imagined I'd be called upon at any moment. This is similar to how soccer goalkeepers who play for good teams need to be ready for that one vital save they'll need to make to ensure victory. It worked pretty well and I got some shutouts that in previous years I would have messed up due to lack of focus. I believe it has helped my game now.

You certainly do move around well and your down movement is good. Although my hips hurt watching.

Yeah I am using the Piranha Pegs every skate/game since I got them. I think in this last game against the panthers I left the rink pegs on top of the net that you can see them in the video. We don’t switch ends for each period so I don’t have to switch them then but I do put them in at the start of the game and after the flood. The GoPro I just leave up and turn off during the flood of the ice. Yes that squeaking in my skates, I have 3mm step steel in my Bauer vertexx cowlings in VH boots. The 3mm steel has a reputation of the Squeal every time I need to stop, haha. I believe that if I switched to a 4mm it wouldn’t be an issue. I do sharpen to 3/8” which is pretty sharp and I believe it contributes to the squeal as well.

game 5 of the season. Our dressing room was 30 degrees Celsius and 100% humidity and when we came out on the ice it dogged up my GoPro really bad, sorry for the bad footage. The boys played a really complete game, we out shot them 3to1 and their Goalie was super solid he kept it really close it was 2-1 and then 4-2 for most of the game but we managed to score 3 goals late to make it 7-2. I played ok, I wasn’t super busy but I was trying to stay focused. The 1st goal was a nice cross ice feed and the guy out it top shelf. The 2nd goal was a really nice re direct top shelf right off of the face off. Vikings are now 4-1 on the season with some tough competition coming.

Thought you played much better than "ok". You looked quick and tracked the puck really well. 2 GA in a Men's League game is pretty darn good if you ask me. Was the rink that warm over the ice surface? At first I thought I was watching a re-run of the Flyers' old playoff game against the Sabres(?).

4 hours ago, Fullright said:

Thought you played much better than "ok". You looked quick and tracked the puck really well. 2 GA in a Men's League game is pretty darn good if you ask me. Was the rink that warm over the ice surface? At first I thought I was watching a re-run of the Flyers' old playoff game against the Sabres(?).

The ice surface was cold, I think they have an ice play but it felt  little like they rely on cold outdoor temp as well, the rink ice surface area isn’t well insulated from the outside, and up here in Alberta it is a consistent -8 to -15 degrees Celsius already. I did really focus on getting into postition quickly and being set before the shot. 

Yeah, I thought you looked much more set and ready on all those plays. Not sure there was a single one that you looked caught out of position. Especially for a game where you weren't busy, I'd say that's definitely a success keeping your focus.

What happened on the first goal? Hard to tell with the foggy video, but it looks like the puck close enough that it would have been easily playable by you before their player got to it. 

11 hours ago, Puckducker said:

Yeah, I thought you looked much more set and ready on all those plays. Not sure there was a single one that you looked caught out of position. Especially for a game where you weren't busy, I'd say that's definitely a success keeping your focus.

What happened on the first goal? Hard to tell with the foggy video, but it looks like the puck close enough that it would have been easily playable by you before their player got to it. 

Yeah it was a play where I could’ve maybe beat the forward to the puck but the ice was super heavy and the puck slowed way down as it came into my end and I am not the best puck handler, haha, things get a little interesting when I wander out of my net on plays like those. He did make a great pass and the shooter put it top shelf, sometimes I quickly analyze a situation  and on that one I thought things can go really wrong if I attempt to go play the puck and if I stayed in my net, like I did, it forces them to make a great play to beat me. 

Haha, yeah I've definitely had some bad luck recently with slow ice. Got burnt a few weeks ago on exactly that. Couple that with my high confidence in myself stopping breakaways, and I tend to hesitate just long enough in playing a puck, that the choice gets made for me. 

But it's something I'm trying to work on, and actually one of the things I find helps me stay focused in slow games. If I'm not getting a lot of shots, I try extra hard to come out to play pucks, just to keep active in the game, and feel the puck a little. I'm definitely not a great puck handler either, but really 99% of situations all you really need to be able to do is shoot the puck up the ice. 

I was coming out and knocking down almost every dump in attempt for my d man to set up. I have 3 wingers on our team that can’t catch an outlet pass on the half wall and if they do catch the pass they can’t make a play to break out of our zone. So I am very hesitant on passing pucks up the walls because even if I put it on their tape it seems like nearly always they turn it over and it is an odd man break down low in our zone. Maybe the wingers will improve but even my best defence man (82) has gotten fed up with their inability to catch a pass and break out that he will

jusy carry it himself or off the glass and out. 

Archived