Brian's Optik Full Set

I’m not dismissing knee guards, just one of those things I don’t naturally like 

going to consider this a work progress 

first skate, when I liked them, I put them on before my pants and attached them to the pads 

Last night I attached them to the pads and then put them on. 

Going back to method 1 next skate. If that fails, I’ll try them unattached, and then attached to my pants 

18 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

That's how I feel.  I have never worn knee protection.  I tried to use a thigh wrap one time and said fuck this.  I am still flexible enough that my thighrise is able cover my entire 5 hole when I am down so its a risk I am willing to take.  So far so good... :knock on wood:

I am the same, but want to change. 

RVH is the only time I feel exposed. 

Man, I'm flexible as it gets but I still wouldn't risk it. Tip shots, scrambles, yikes.

I mean, I've had my knee pads for 6 months now (since I got my Warriors) and haven't even taken a shot off them yet. But the security knowing that I'm protected on the off chance a puck makes it way through there is nice.

A good shot or two were able to slip past my thigh wraps on my Vaughns, that shit hurts and is debilitating.

@TheGoalNet Also, since we don't have enough R/GT reviews, I am currently compiling a 6 month review on the SR line on mine. Should I reserve a post? :P

22 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Man, I'm flexible as it gets but I still wouldn't risk it. Tip shots, scrambles, yikes.

I mean, I've had my knee pads for 6 months now (since I got my Warriors) and haven't even taken a shot off them yet. But the security knowing that I'm protected on the off chance a puck makes it way through there is nice.

A good shot or two were able to slip past my thigh wraps on my Vaughns, that shit hurts and is debilitating.

@TheGoalNet Also, since we don't have enough R/GT reviews, I am currently compiling a 6 month review on the SR line on mine. Should I reserve a post? :P

I'm sure I'll curse myself if I ever do get dinged.

• 2 weeks later...

@TheGoalNet Great review here and love the all red colour. I have the Gnetik 5.5 pads in retro red/black and all red weave Vaughn 7700 gloves. Anyway, onto my question. 

I see that you removed the bootstrap (one on pad). Did you cut the strap or can it be removed and reinstalled later? I have mine pretty loose to the point of being useless but I hate trying to feed the tab through the small slot. 

28 minutes ago, KootenayKeeper said:

@TheGoalNet Great review here and love the all red colour. I have the Gnetik 5.5 pads in retro red/black and all red weave Vaughn 7700 gloves. Anyway, onto my question. 

I see that you removed the bootstrap (one on pad). Did you cut the strap or can it be removed and reinstalled later? I have mine pretty loose to the point of being useless but I hate trying to feed the tab through the small slot. 

They slide in and out. I have been experimenting every skate with them in and then out.

I don't feel the lundy loop when I skate, I but it seems like the default setup in the NHL setup. I am trying to figure out why... 

On 11/2/2017 at 11:23 AM, TheGoalNet said:

Honestly... weather it's correct or not... because of the IG stuff, people look at me as "expert on gear". The fact I don't wear knee guards is stupid and hypocritical to the safety first I normally preach. I do have a ridiculously tall thigh rise though 

I literally used to fight with my parents in like pee wees not wear anything and I only ever wore thigh boards. 

However, it's just one of those things I can never get used to skate after skate. I am not giving up on these though!!! 

Give John Brown's 2100 knee pads a shot. They are lite, conform to the knee bend well, aren't bulky and very protective. When I had mine I wore them under my hockey socks (as with all my knee pads), did only one turn of clear tape at the bottom part (over the socks of course) to prevent slippage and voila. They pretty much fit with any knee cradle too, wide or narrow. I'm most likely gonna go back to some once I get the coin for them.

front.jpgside.jpg

I have a set of all black matte G-Netik II pads and I’m considering ordering the Optik glove combo. I’m interested in how you customized your glove. In my experience, the matte material “chips” or wears off quicker than the weave/leather. In the high usage area (top of the T for instance), I was considering using either the weave or leather but not the matte material. I would probably do the same with the corners of the glove. Would love to hear anyone’s take on that. 

Steevens 

• 2 months later...

First of all, great overview of the new Brian's Optik equipment.  Your first impressions have definitely sold me.  I'm currently on the market for a new set of pads, blocker and catcher and the Brian's Optik "Fly" model are at the top of my list.  The other brand that has been pushed with me are the CCM Extreme Flex III's but I'm not as keen on the strapping set up, the pad weight or the glove.

I'm upgrading from Warrior G2 Ritual Pro Pads (not happy with sliding ablity) and Bauer S170 Blocker (not enough index finger protection) and S170 Catcher (too many stingers and need a pro palm).  I have the following questions:

1.) What kind of thigh rise did you end up going with?  I've currently got a +1.5 with my Warriors and leaning towards +2 for the Optik's.  Looking at better five hole coverage.

2.) Can you confirm, do those knee pads come included?

3.) What kind of strapping did you go with?  The current "X" or the traditional option?

4.) Is there one thing that has given you buyer's regret?  Anything this set does not provide that you really like in another brand? 

5.) If price for your equipment was not a factor would this be the set you still choose?

18 minutes ago, Adam Cooper said:

First of all, great overview of the new Brian's Optik equipment.  Your first impressions have definitely sold me.  I'm currently on the market for a new set of pads, blocker and catcher and the Brian's Optik "Fly" model are at the top of my list.  The other brand that has been pushed with me are the CCM Extreme Flex III's but I'm not as keen on the strapping set up, the pad weight or the glove.

I'm upgrading from Warrior G2 Ritual Pro Pads (not happy with sliding ablity) and Bauer S170 Blocker (not enough index finger protection) and S170 Catcher (too many stingers and need a pro palm).  I have the following questions:

1.) What kind of thigh rise did you end up going with?  I've currently got a +1.5 with my Warriors and leaning towards +2 for the Optik's.  Looking at better five hole coverage.

2.) Can you confirm, do those knee pads come included?

3.) What kind of strapping did you go with?  The current "X" or the traditional option?

4.) Is there one thing that has given you buyer's regret?  Anything this set does not provide that you really like in another brand? 

5.) If price for your equipment was not a factor would this be the set you still choose?

1. I have +1.5 - I down sized from +2 on GNetik because I moved to a stiffer pad 

2. Yes, knee pads are part of the bundle 

3. Stock strapping. Only thing I changed was the smart toe for Pro Laces Armour. Check a couple posts higher and I outline how I am using the X Strap. 

4. There is nothing missing and no buyers remorse. I would not recommend matte on the outer roll. Weave or Jenpro will give you better long term wear. 

5. Yes, I have purchased all the full sets on this website. At the current time, I find Brian's and Bauer the most interesting companies for new gear. I returned to Brian's after the 1S gear I used. CCM is old faithful. You can never go wrong with their equipment, but I find other offerings more intriguing compelling right now. Each piece of the Optik line has something I love about it. The blocker is the weight and rebounds. The glove is BOA and break angle (overlap). The pads are the sliding and the stiffness. Most other pads I have worn or demoed felt like they were missing something. 

Archived