Henrik Lundqvist won't play with Washington Capitals this season due to heart condition

Lucky Pucker

I'm not sure how this is even humanly possible.  I guess maybe the procedure wasn't "open heart" as I understand it.   My understanding is that open heart surgery involves cutting through the ribs/breastbone to allow the surgeon room to work.   I thought I also read the he had to have a valve replaced and that the typical recovery was over 3 months!  I've never been the biggest Hank fan, but damn this is nothing short of superhuman!

10 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

I'm not sure how this is even humanly possible.  I guess maybe the procedure wasn't "open heart" as I understand it.   My understanding is that open heart surgery involves cutting through the ribs/breastbone to allow the surgeon room to work.   I thought I also read the he had to have a valve replaced and that the typical recovery was over 3 months!  I've never been the biggest Hank fan, but damn this is nothing short of superhuman!

Full replacement of the aortic root, aortic valve, and ascending aorta; so, yeah, full-on open heart surgery. Most of the recovery apparently takes place in 4-6 weeks, 28-42 days, but to be back on the ice in 47 days? Extremely impressive.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
On 8/21/2021 at 8:01 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't think they even had to pay him.  I think he was LTIR last year.   Pretty sure insurance pays that but I could be wrong.  Regardless, no, fuck the caps lol

With you on the Caps love. And he's always and only a Ranger.

He signed for $1.5M with the Caps last year. Think it was 1.5 guaranteed with 1.5 (this season) as an option.

Yeah, with the IR, if they are done for the year, the Caps have an insurance policy that pays him. Remember when Bryan Berard joined the Rangers after he was injured with the Leafs? He had to give back the $6M insurance settlement when he signed. (there has been more about that since)