NHL 2021 Season

MTH

Funny how much fans in the stands made the games on tv that much better. I love the fact that the NFL has teams in the playoffs still with fans in the stands.

I got my vaccine shot, so let me go watch the games.

• 1 month later...

Not sure where else to stick this, but Sean Burke is the new goalie coach in Montreal:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2021/3/2/22310598/stephane-waite-replaced-by-sean-burke-as-canadiens-director-of-goaltending-carey-price-jake-allen

Also interesting to see Price have his skate lace toe tie get cut, and replaced with a new one at the bench by the trainer, during a 4:00 PK - all without taking the pad off or anything.

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Price have his skate lace toe tie get cut, and replaced with a new one at the bench by the trainer, during a 4:00 PK - all without taking the pad off or anything.

What makes a trainer a professional trainer?

image.jpeg.e59ed56e6afee1999f3e79d1e7eec607.jpeg

That's correct MTH. You have the board...

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Not sure where else to stick this, but Sean Burke is the new goalie coach in Montreal:

https://www.habseyesontheprize.com/latest-news/2021/3/2/22310598/stephane-waite-replaced-by-sean-burke-as-canadiens-director-of-goaltending-carey-price-jake-allen

Also interesting to see Price have his skate lace toe tie get cut, and replaced with a new one at the bench by the trainer, during a 4:00 PK - all without taking the pad off or anything.

I may have posted this elsewhere, but Burkie running goalies in Montreal might be huge.

Look what he did for Bryzgalov and Smith in Phoenix

As for the skate lace - what do you think the odds are that Price snipped them himself during the PK to get some extra time for his guys?

2 minutes ago, MTH said:

What makes a trainer a professional trainer?

image.jpeg.e59ed56e6afee1999f3e79d1e7eec607.jpeg

That's correct MTH. You have the board...

LOL!

Whatever the trainer’s familiarity with toe ties - and Price’s preferences regarding them - the ref was right up in there, and as it was while killing a double minor, it had to be quickly knotted through only the first hole in Price’s cowling, rather than the “though/in and out/over the top of the foot” he usually does.

Of course after finally posting a win with respectable numbers, he’s going to have to have the trainer tie his toe ties like that EVERY game now! 😁

34 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I may have posted this elsewhere, but Burkie running goalies in Montreal might be huge.

Look what he did for Bryzgalov and Smith in Phoenix

As for the skate lace - what do you think the odds are that Price snipped them himself during the PK to get some extra time for his guys?

True - I’m cautiously optimistic! I liked Waite too though... oh well. Strangely, comments in both English and French on Habs sites immediately went to a domestic violence incident some 20 odd years ago, and how that doesn’t jive with the organization’s values. 

As for the toe ties, I watched the replay over and over. Marc Denis seemed to think it was a Senator’s stick that got lodged in there and popped it but I think it was more likely a player skate. That said, maybe it had a bit of help just prior...? Notice that the trainer hasn’t been fired. At least not yet -  Lol!

Also what's curious is that it's a change in terms of organization. Might be good for future Habs Goalies to have a department setup like that, and would also attract coaching talents.

That toe-tie thing was curious, it was super timely. I was concerned a bit when it wasn't Price himself putting it on, as I'm sure he's pretty particular about how his gear feels, but I guess it'd be impossible to do it himself with all his gear on.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting article - more for the approach/philosophy than the specific Price angle. I was just talking with the other coach on my kid’s Atom team (he is also a goalie) about how we need to get our goalies out at the top of their crease more - lol! Well, with volunteer coaches doing minor hockey, you get what you pay for, kid.

https://www.nhl.com/news/carey-price-changing-goaltending-style/c-322426154

3 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Interesting article - more for the approach/philosophy than the specific Price angle. I was just talking with the other coach on my kid’s Atom team (he is also a goalie) about how we need to get our goalies out at the top of their crease more - lol! Well, with volunteer coaches doing minor hockey, you get what you pay for, kid.

https://www.nhl.com/news/carey-price-changing-goaltending-style/c-322426154

The Dubnyk quote is most important here:

"All Burkie told me," Dubnyk said, "was he didn't care where I stood in the crease as long as your feet are set and when a pass comes you can get over on your feet, beat the puck, stop and be set. He didn't care where I was in the crease as long as I was capable of doing that."

This is actually something I've been changing as well

There are really three distinct advantages to staying within the blue paint while the play moves around your zone:

• Conserve energy
  • Quicker to pivot, plant, push
  • Shorter travel time to the new angle

Some tertiary benefits too:

• Encourages shot on goal over pass
  • Easier to maintain angle if a puck carrier holds on to it

Once a shot is imminent is when you want to take ice/gain depth

Archived