Equipment bag thread

RichMan

I'd used the Eagle bag (40 x 24 x 20") for about 10 years (even moved countries with it) and it developed a few cuts and a couple of wear holes.

It was great, could throw everything in with realtive ease - 34+2 pads, L CCM pants, M Brown 2400CA, Mask, Glove and blocker, skates, sweats etc

Got a True bag (40 x 20 x 20") - Its a very, very tight fit compared to the Eagle.  When its late and im tired after a skate, the last thing i want is to play a giant game of tetris with my bag and have to force it to zip up.

Most bags are aound the 40 x 20 x 20" dimensions (some have 1 side thats 22")

Cant find anywhere to order the Eagle bag!

On 2/4/2021 at 10:48 AM, RichMan said:

How much space does the bag take in the change rooms on the floor given its shape?

It takes up about 1 and a half of a normal adult-sized player bag if put on the big flat side, but it isn't as high due to the bag being like a foot tall in the one dimension. That being said, it can be stood on the long and skinny end and the U shape opened up toward you which conserves quite a bit of space. I usually do this until i have to get the pads out and then i quickly put on my stuff and wad the bag up toward the bench i am sitting on. It has never been a problem with my team and we usually skate about 10-14 in a small-medium-ish sized room.

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2021 at 11:44 PM, Drew37 said:

This is what I've been using the past year.  First bag I've had thats big enough to fit my pads into as well.  Couldn't care less about the wheel argument as its way more convenient for me.  Although I did love that scene in Letterkenny this past season which is being filmed funny enough in the rink I grew up playing in Capreol, Ontario.  If they moved the camera to left you'd see old team photos from back in the 80s and I'm in one of those when I was in tykes.

ccm-goalie-equipment-bag-pro-wheeled-large-44in.jpg

This is the same bag I've been using for 3+ years. It has plenty room for all my gear, pads included. I've gotten used to it not having the U-shaped opening, but other than that I have zero complaints. Been very durable for me, too.

• 2 years later...

Bumping up this thread about bags. Not sure if we started a newer, updated thread or not so I will post it here. 

Does anyone have experience with Conway + Banks bags?

Looks pretty solid to me, but pricey for sure. Here's the link:

https://conwayandbanks.com/products/conway-banks-goalie-bag-10ds

13.jpg?v=1683865770

Was thinking of updating my bag. The Warrior Ritual wheeled bag I currently use has been fine for a few years now, but if starting to show it's age, plus I've realized how giant and cumbersome this Warrior bag is at 44" x 24" x 24". These Conway goalie bags are 42" x 20" x 20" and should be a more suitable size. 

Thanks for any feedback if you can provide it. 

9 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

Bumping up this thread about bags. Not sure if we started a newer, updated thread or not so I will post it here. 

13.jpg?v=1683865770

Was thinking of updating my bag. The Warrior Ritual wheeled bag I currently use has been fine for a few years now, but if starting to show it's age, plus I've realized how giant and cumbersome this Warrior bag is at 44" x 24" x 24". These Conway goalie bags are 42" x 20" x 20" and should be a more suitable size. 

I don’t have experience with the goalie bag but my daughter has the player bag and I have the Louise backpack for coaching. My daughter loves her bag. She likes the organization it provides. She also likes the built-in mat. It’s also ventilated which is nice. The quality is top tier.

At that size, I would expect a goalie bag to fit the pads as well. However, it appears that the organizer would prevent the pads from being able to fit. I’m somebody that likes to carry everything in my bag. I bought the Passau backpack bag last year. It has skate and mask pockets but the main compartment doesn’t really have any other organization. It makes it so much easier to walk through doors and narrow hallways with the backpack. It fits all my gear and shows no sign of wear.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, creasecollector said:

13.jpg?v=1683865770

$350 CAD for any bag is fucking absurd. 

I've been using a CCM Pro carry bag for 8+ years. Aside from the velcro that combines the two straps together, the thing is almost In perfect shape. And I'm not gentle with it at all when I toss it in and out of my truck. 

https://www.thehockeyshop.com/products/ccm-pro-senior-goalie-carry-bag

On sale for $88 CAD. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kub29 said:

For that much for a bag, it not being wheeled kills it. I paid the big bucks for the grit bag. But I'm old and broken so I need all the help I can get moving my gear.

There is a wheeled version as well. You can choose between With Wheels or Carry in the style option. No pictures of the wheels variation though sadly. 

But yeah, pricey for sure. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've been using a CCM Pro carry bag for 8+ years. Aside from the velcro that combines the two straps together, the thing is almost In perfect shape. And I'm not gentle with it at all when I toss it in and out of my truck. 

On sale for $88 CAD. 

But your best bud endorses it

image.png.8d89ec5a7600fc68162f7879d22778e7.png

• Haha 2

This is my summer bag. Intermediate size 38x20x20 and it fits everything minus the pads. I'm into XL gear.

image.thumb.png.1fabde12980ab28a0de660a8f73e1d0c.png

This is my current winter bag, 38x18x18. Easy to carry, well built and has skate pockets. Didn't cost me an arm or a leg either.

image.thumb.png.00238f143dcd4606cf809e4cae3d5665.pngimage.thumb.png.d341909ce213f5f2527a5716824e05e4.png

Honestly, I wish I could take a crack at building my own bag. I have some ideas that would better suit my demands. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

On sale for $88 CAD. 

Personally I've never understood the desire to put my pads into a giant bag, and I aways gravitate to something smaller and more compact. For me it makes carrying everything easier when you have the bag properly filled out and your gear not sloshing around inside, if that makes sense. Here's what I use:

TRUE PRO SENIOR GOALIE BAG – Pro Hockey Life

• Like 1

With my bad back prone to injury, I need a wheeled bag.

This is what I use, https://www.sourceforsports.ca/products/warrior-ritual-goalie-roller-bag-2022

I've been using it for awhile now, and I quite like it. I like that it has three wheels to prevent it from sagging in the middle, it has no metal arm that usually is a point of failure, which also means no metal frame which would make it heavy. It has a lot of handles in strategic positions to maneuver it in and out of the car.  

• Like 1

I’ve never been able to carry my pads separately. I’ve tried to do it, but it never works for me. Either the pads are sliding down my left shoulder or the bag is sliding down my right shoulder. Maybe I have sloped shoulders, IDK? Putting them over the same shoulder doesn’t work for me either. The pads end up trying to choke me. 
For those who do carry the pads separately, do you really need a goalie bag for the rest of the stuff or wouldn’t a player bag fit everything else?

I’ve used wheel bags and shoulder bags. Been using shoulder bags for the last decade or so because I’ve lived in houses with steps and stairs that would make the wheel bags not worth it.

Currently using a John Brown 2400 bag, which I’ve had for five (?) years.

I use a pretty roomy red and white True bag no wheels. It's somewhere in another thread here, took a pic of it. Sometimes I wish I had wheels though.  After a game or practice I'm exhausted and carrying everything is almost like torture. 

Found my old post. It was in the True thread from Aug 2019. This was it brand new. Still in great shape.  Not much to it. Zipper down the middle a couple of pockets inside. I like the vented top. 

20190802_113850.thumb.jpg.0b49f640755c086f14d5aa29a3f36824.jpg

Edited by Scythe

17 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I’ve never been able to carry my pads separately. I’ve tried to do it, but it never works for me. Either the pads are sliding down my left shoulder or the bag is sliding down my right shoulder. Maybe I have sloped shoulders, IDK? Putting them over the same shoulder doesn’t work for me either. The pads end up trying to choke me. 
For those who do carry the pads separately, do you really need a goalie bag for the rest of the stuff or wouldn’t a player bag fit everything else?

I’ve used wheel bags and shoulder bags. Been using shoulder bags for the last decade or so because I’ve lived in houses with steps and stairs that would make the wheel bags not worth it.

Currently using a John Brown 2400 bag, which I’ve had for five (?) years.

Bag over right shoulder, pad skate lace toe ties tied together without much slack and carried in left hand, stick in right hand. This eliminates the choking, haha. My goalie bad is a pretty compact True...more tall than long. Easier to carry and manoeuvre through doors etc. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 8:49 AM, Wonder35 said:

Yes, I am aware that many of you have seen this image before but, not in this context.

Small goalie bag in very smaller trunk (boot) with pads buckled together and slung over left shoulder, leaving left hand to carry sticks.

DSC_0058.jpeg

When I had a Miata, I just undid the 4 bolts holding the passenger seat in and tossed the bag there. 

• Like 1

During COVID we had to dress at home, no showers available at the rink. It was so funny to see a bunch of old guys, in full regalia, waiting outside until 15 minutes before game time.  Goalies were given an exemption after I showed the Recreational Director how it was impossible, let alone damn dangerous,  to drive a vehicle whilst wearing a C/A. We goaltenders wore our under garments and learned to dress and undress quickly with the rest of our gear.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Wonder35 said:

During COVID we had to dress at home, no showers available at the rink. It was so funny to see a bunch of old guys, in full regalia, waiting outside until 15 minutes before game time.  Goalies were given an exemption after I showed the Recreational Director how it was impossible, let alone damn dangerous,  to drive a vehicle whilst wearing a C/A. We goaltenders wore our under garments and learned to dress and undress quickly with the rest of our gear.

The rules were absurd. Like we are still mite or pee-wee size 🥴

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1