Question on Warrior G5 knee block shape and stiffness option

CamWardFan

137177.webpI am currently wearing the Warrior G3 pads and love them.  I'm considering upgrading to the G5's for a couple of reasons.  First, the new knee block shape which looks like it would help close the 5 hole on my narrow butterfly (the inside is cut away at an angle so you can push your knees closer together when down). Second, I like the idea of having the stiffer pad face to help push rebounds faster and farther away from the crease.  Does anyone have experience with these options and can give me some feedback???

You'll notice a large difference in the thigh rise portion between a G3 and a G5. 

G3's were an internal double break and known to get flimsy over time. G5's are single internal/outer break below the knee and the upper portion is further stiffened through the use of hypercomp. 

Hypercomp does make a large difference in the overall rigidity in the pad. The difference between my GT1 and GT2 was night and day. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/26/2021 at 12:38 PM, CamWardFan said:

137177.webpI am currently wearing the Warrior G3 pads and love them.  I'm considering upgrading to the G5's for a couple of reasons.  First, the new knee block shape which looks like it would help close the 5 hole on my narrow butterfly (the inside is cut away at an angle so you can push your knees closer together when down). Second, I like the idea of having the stiffer pad face to help push rebounds faster and farther away from the crease.  Does anyone have experience with these options and can give me some feedback???

I have had a set of G5 pro pads since the end of may. I love these pads. I ordered them with an extra stiff core giving more rigidity in the thigh rise. Rebounds on these pads are great. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
On 2/20/2021 at 5:30 PM, mikemc620 said:

I have had a set of G5 pro pads since the end of may. I love these pads. I ordered them with an extra stiff core giving more rigidity in the thigh rise. Rebounds on these pads are great. 

Yup I did the same. The extra stiff core once broken in (had mine since the shutdown started) resulted in exactly what I wanted. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, benner33 said:

Yup I did the same. The extra stiff core once broken in (had mine since the shutdown started) resulted in exactly what I wanted. 

Agreed.  The X-Stiff thigh rise wasn't unmanageable in any way, unlike Bauer and CCM.   You go to the top of the stiffness chart with them, you'd better have the widest butterfly ever!  Warrior's X-Stiff was stiffER than retain, but mainly just felt like it would hold it's shape longer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

How does it compare to the GT/2 for people with a narrow butterfly (like me)? I think the most important part for a narrow butterfly is the overall shape of the pads, no? Like more S-curvy is better for narrow butterflies? Or is that some very basic/wrong thinking?

The knee blocks have a 45 degree angle at the back corners where they come together in the butterfly. This allows you to pull your legs together easier and gives an extra layer of protection along the ice. I took a shot Wednesday that hit the knee block and stopped. Love the g5s. Got them in March and my only gripe is the tow tie. I replaced them with velcro elastic ties. 

• Like 1

Yes, I've had the same experience with the knee blocks, they are good puck stoppers and great for narrow butterflys.  I have had no problem with the elastic toe straps in my setup, but that's just a matter of personal preference.   Overall the G5 is by far the best pad Warrior has made to date and I love them.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/20/2021 at 5:34 PM, raidersgoalie said:

I wear a 35+2 on ccm comfortabley.  Do the warriors match up size with ccm pads. Is there a size difference between the 2 brands 

I believe (though fact check me) that would be a 36”+1.5” in Warrior measurements.