I got my first penalty!

IPv6Freely

1 hour ago, MTH said:

Best part - if I remember right - is that the dude was roughing up some dude on my team. So I drilled him with the puck.

Eh, the old days when you thought this stuff was important. Now? Not so much.

I was playing on some 18+ team recently. All young college dudes, etc. They start fighting everyone on the ice. I watch from the crease. In the locker the one dude says to me - Matt why didn't you jump in?

Response was easy -  already get hit with pucks, fists too? I'm good.

They all started calling me 'dad' after that.

Haha true dat. 

15 minutes ago, Ghostender said:

You sound like you might be interested in our over 50 under 70 club (years and inches respectively), I can forward you the application paperwork if desired. (Note to be eligible, you must be able to write all the answers, preferably with a fountain pen).

Hey, whats wrong with a fountain pen??

4 minutes ago, jeff da goalie said:

I could make the argument that your D man pushed him into the crease.  It was a fluid situation and I could see a no-call there.  Hell, if the NHL can't figure it out, do you think a $50/game ref can???  ;)

Maybe. But this ref is a douchebag. Literally the only ref we have that I don't chat with before games while he's checking the net. Also one of the two that won't let me use my camera inside the glass. Not a big deal, I just don't help him at all. Freeze a puck and I just leave it on the ice. Get scored on, he can dig it out of the net. On icings he can skate back and grab the puck. For all the other refs I go out of my way to make their job easier. 

On 3/20/2018 at 11:10 AM, Ghostender said:

You sound like you might be interested in our over 50 under 70 club (years and inches respectively), I can forward you the application paperwork if desired. (Note to be eligible, you must be able to write all the answers, preferably with a fountain pen).

In cursive.

• 4 months later...

I mean, you could obviously look to how hockey has changed in terms of the decline of penalties, but I think sports in general have just gotten far more serious, and teams shoot for as close to perfection as they can get. I mean, just look at the work and research they put into conditioning, sports science, nutrition, sleep hygiene, etc. Perfection is the goal. And entertaining as it is, a goalie is not helping his team if he's taking penalties all the time. Back then, the attitude may have been "Well he gets a lot of penalties, but he's got fire in his belly and he's a good goaltender, so what can ya really do?"

Today, you'd have a bunch of analysts and sports commentators pointing out how all these penalties are lowering the team's chances to win, fans would see every penalty on SportsCentre or YouTube and get pissed about it on social media, the team might hire a sports psychologist to try and re-wire the goalie, etc. Plus, unlike in the 80's and 90's, today's goalie talent pool is so deep that you'd probably have a backup who is (more or less) justtt about as good as Hextall, someone the team wouldn't hesitate to go to if they're getting sick of the penalties.

Sports are entertainment for sure, but it's a business, and organizations are trying harder than ever to run their teams like perfectly sound Fortune 500 companies. GM's take their job security seriously. So do coaches. If they think a player's attitude or style of play is costing them wins, they're not going to tolerate much. Teams don't even want to give a roster spot to an enforcer these days if they can't keep up with the production of the rest of the team... There's just so much money at stake, and people take everything more seriously. 

• 1 month later...
On 8/1/2018 at 10:42 AM, MTH said:

What happened to the NHL?

It's transformed to more brain than brawn. Strategy, analytics, and skills reigns now. The more "brutal" ways of the old games has been on its way out, if not almost out completely at this point. It's become more of an athletic chess match than a contact sport. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but I do like seeing skill on display like this, but the game is losing the teeth that hockey is stereotyped for.

Man, if I said any of those things to a player/ref, that’s a 30 day suspension from hockey for me! No practices, anything. Good on ya though for calling him out.

in the final tournament game, early in the game a goal was disallowed since the ref blew the whistle and they weren’t happy about that. They ended up scoring a minute later. I shook it off and continued playing.

then came the second period, in one particular play I was in an awkward position against the post on a wrap around  but managed to cover it in between my pads. One thing is our team is told not to retaliate and take dumb penalties, and are usually very supportive of me so I wasn’t upset. Anyways, the ref blew the whistle, the opposing player toe dragged the puck out of my legs and shot it in the net, so I took a hard wack at his hand with my stick, and it seemed like it hurt him for a while as he kept shaking his hand ??

btw, we ended up winning the game ?

DB655E19-790E-4FC3-A3EC-C2C4CC08841E.jpeg

i got a penalty from a guy kept bumping into me so i hit him in the neck with my stick and then i covered the puck, and he started hitting my glove with a lot of force, not even just normal chipping at a shot when the goalie covers it, just started 2 handed chopping my glove so i got up and gave him a blocker to the face and then i had a little undesired chat with the ref

"hey goalie youre getting a penalty"
"stfu"
"watch it or youre getting 2 penalties"

25 minutes ago, Max27 said:

i got a penalty from a guy kept bumping into me so i hit him in the neck with my stick and then i covered the puck, and he started hitting my glove with a lot of force, not even just normal chipping at a shot when the goalie covers it, just started 2 handed chopping my glove so i got up and gave him a blocker to the face and then i had a little undesired chat with the ref

"hey goalie youre getting a penalty"
"stfu"
"watch it or youre getting 2 penalties"

Blocker to the cup, that way you can say you were pushed into him. 

Do you play that ass hole again? If so, tap him on the calf every time he skates by you. THEN if he chops your glove, go for the nuts!

5 hours ago, Moose75 said:

It's transformed to more brain than brawn. Strategy, analytics, and skills reigns now. The more "brutal" ways of the old games has been on its way out, if not almost out completely at this point. It's become more of an athletic chess match than a contact sport. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, but I do like seeing skill on display like this, but the game is losing the teeth that hockey is stereotyped for.

NHL has become wimpified. I miss the days of bench-clearing brawls. Hockey used to equal war; now it is wimpy, namby pamby patty-cake bull shit.

This is one of many reasons that Boris Bettman needs to be drug out of his office, beaten with a rubber hose, then hung by his thumbs whilst passers-by can throw rotten produce at him. Get a real commission in there, and introduce penalties if a player does NOT stand up for the honour of their teammates. This wimp fest they call hockey is sickening!

47 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

NHL has become wimpified. I miss the days of bench-clearing brawls. Hockey used to equal war; now it is wimpy, namby pamby patty-cake bull shit.

This is one of many reasons that Boris Bettman needs to be drug out of his office, beaten with a rubber hose, then hung by his thumbs whilst passers-by can throw rotten produce at him. Get a real commission in there, and introduce penalties if a player does NOT stand up for the honour of their teammates. This wimp fest they call hockey is sickening!

Well with the way it continues to progress, and with the looming threat of concussions and CTE, I will boldly state it will be wimpified further in the next five years. I get that we need to protect our brains, so I'm not ruffled on that, but I do still crave a good, old fashioned shitshow every now and then.

I tried to watch football yesterday. I don't understand it's appeal, or why America is so utterly obsessed by it. Five seconds of play, flag. Five seconds of play, tackle, play ends. Five seconds of play, tackle, play ends, flag. 15 minute commercial block, resume. It was maddening. Then the whole Fantasy Football thing makes me irritated too.

26 minutes ago, Moose75 said:

Well with the way it continues to progress, and with the looming threat of concussions and CTE, I will boldly state it will be wimpified further in the next five years. I get that we need to protect our brains, so I'm not ruffled on that, but I do still crave a good, old fashioned shitshow every now and then.

I tried to watch football yesterday. I don't understand it's appeal, or why America is so utterly obsessed by it. Five seconds of play, flag. Five seconds of play, tackle, play ends. Five seconds of play, tackle, play ends, flag. 15 minute commercial block, resume. It was maddening. Then the whole Fantasy Football thing makes me irritated too.

I hate the Nasty Foot Lickers. The games are boring, and they are fully into the corporate welfare, plus did I mention that the product sucks?!?

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

So, you're advocating for BALL-istic warfare?

:rofl:

Yessir! Hockey (when competitive, not adult league or drop in) is WAR!!!

Hit clean and play clean; however-  if someone is being a bit too enthusiastic with hacking the glove, then go for the jewels of the family and make that fucker sing SOPRANO!!!! 

• 1 month later...

Story Time:

I've personally never been in any fights but I've given quite a few blockers to the helmet, sticks to the back, and cup checks. Unfortunately performing a cup check has backfired on me once before... I was being screened (as normally happens in a game). I was having a pretty bad game and was quite annoyed with the other team and my defense. I proceeded to cup check the person screening me. After the game in the handshake line, I discovered that the "guy" I had cup checked was actually a gal. Oh well. It's high school hockey. Nobody really cares when they get cup checked. If I had known the the person screening me was a girl then I could've come up with much better ways to distract her. I did apologize after the game at least.

T

18 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Story Time:

I've personally never been in any fights but I've given quite a few blockers to the helmet, sticks to the back, and cup checks. Unfortunately performing a cup check has backfired on me once before... I was being screened (as normally happens in a game). I was having a pretty bad game and was quite annoyed with the other team and my defense. I proceeded to cup check the person screening me. After the game in the handshake line, I discovered that the "guy" I had cup checked was actually a gal. Oh well. It's high school hockey. Nobody really cares when they get cup checked. If I had known the the person screening me was a girl then I could've come up with much better ways to distract her. I did apologize after the game at least.

T

Grab em next time...

ad9b49b8c0ba41929e51865a5e5026dea70f183f

Archived