CCM Axis Splitting Issues

Rod

On 2/16/2021 at 1:34 PM, Puckstopper said:

That's personal preference.  It sounds like you've got cleaner ice than a lot of us, so you might not hate FastGlide.  Weave will slide better for sure, but there is quite a bit of anecdotal evidence that it wears poorly compared to JenPro or SpeedSkin/FastGlide.  It's too early for me to have personal experience with this, as any pair of pads I've had more than a year had a JenPro inner gusset. 

My R/GT2 Set with weave sliding surface shows zero wear. 

This was almost a year ago and my overall ice times are obviously way lower, but my sliding surface looks identical.

16 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Weave is a pattern stamped on to regular Jenpro.  Repeated use can cause it to flake off and cause it to look like it's wearing through.

I did not enjoy my experience with Fastglide.  My second set with weave on the inners slides much easier.

Fastglide is faster than Speedskin on fresh ice but in my experience, performance deteriorated faster than Speedskin as ice got worse.

I do have a theory, but it's just conjecture at this point.
If you look closely at the fabric pattern, Fastglide is a bunch of raised little dots. 
IIRC, Speedskin is made of small raised lines (can any of you confirm? @Puckstopper @BadAngle41 @TheGoalNet)
I think the little dots on Fastglide would catch and snag on ruts in the ice.

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

Correct, Speedskin is a crosshatch pattern of raised lines.   To me it honestly feels like sliding on velcro as the ice gets worse.  The theory of reducing surface area touching the ice is sound, it just goes right out the window when the ice gets a little rough/snowy.

Thanks for the input on Fastglide, as I am considering trying out True this spring and would have been tempted to venture down that road.

To follow up... albeit tardy... yes... thin raised lines. Speedskin (like any material) does slide better on fresh ice. I noticed a decent drop off in performance of Speedskin later in a skate when snow built up for the first month or two. But honestly since then I can't say I notice it as much. Doubtful there is a break in period that wears down some of the raised edges... but it does seem to slide better late in a game now than it did initially. Could also be the fact I haven't been skipping leg day as much.

image.thumb.png.168d1f14383452e6b1071d8e0f2ef431.png

On 2/17/2021 at 3:40 PM, Charlie T said:

Thanks, last thing I'm curious about is the stiffness, I have always used single internal and external, what have you used and would you recommend I stick with what I know?

I got Xstiff.  Came from EF4 w/ultra soft boot
Loaned my white based set to @TheGoalNet and he found them significantly softer than Axis, don't know how he ordered them though

2 hours ago, Charlie T said:

How do you find the seal? I really want to demo a set but lefevre doesn't make demos, I tried ultrasonic and absolutely hated, I demo'd axis and like them, do you think L20.1 has a similar feel to axis?

Dude I already answered this question

On 2/14/2021 at 8:53 PM, Chenner29 said:

I've got zero personal experience with Axis, but guys who have them seem to be pretty happy with their decision.

While MaxRebound on Axis was very appealing, in the end I think the 20.1 being made in Canada and the FRS on pads are what swayed me towards Lefevre

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you work for a hockey shop.
Why don't you wait until 4/2 when True re-releases the line under their branding to check them out?
Some stores are running a demo program

If you're as vigilant in tracking down a demo set as you are at peppering me with questions, I'm sure you'll find something

10 hours ago, Charlie T said:

How do you find the seal? I really want to demo a set but lefevre doesn't make demos, I tried ultrasonic and absolutely hated, I demo'd axis and like them, do you think L20.1 has a similar feel to axis?

Not to derail this conversation on the equipment itself... but when you talk seal of a pad it also has a lot to do with how you play. Seal on Ultrasonic looks to be amazing bc it's the closest to a solid piece as there is right now. The whole purpose is a sold seal.. if the knee stack hits the ice... the whole pad seals the ice.

Axis also seals well but (like every other pad on the market) has the knee stack independent of the pad core. I do find Axis to seal well... but to be honest I never really had a problem with seal all that often and that's because I play a more technical style. My movements and body positioning just lend themselves to things like pad seal on the ice. I had similar seal to Axis when I wore 2X Pro, 2S Pro, EFlex, etc.

If you like a tighter fitting pad that moves more with you leg then most super stiff pads won't be your thing... they just don't allow for good seal when strapped tightly. But if you can get yourself used to wearing a pad more loosely... your options are opened up.

5 minutes ago, mr_shifty1982 said:

I feel like my P2s seal a lot better than the Axis to be honest. 

Never wore P2... couldn't get into a stiff boot with steep angle. But I do find it interesting that you find seal to be better on P2. Do you think it was the rounded landing surface that acted like a seal on door? Or do you think it has more to do with strapping etc?

8 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Dude I already answered this question

You mentioned earlier in the thread that you work for a hockey shop.
Why don't you wait until 4/2 when True re-releases the line under their branding to check them out?
Some stores are running a demo program

If you're as vigilant in tracking down a demo set as you are at peppering me with questions, I'm sure you'll find something

Haha sorry about that man, I just wanna make sure I know what I'm getting into for the price, thanks for all your help

On 2/19/2021 at 9:50 AM, BadAngle41 said:

Never wore P2... couldn't get into a stiff boot with steep angle. But I do find it interesting that you find seal to be better on P2. Do you think it was the rounded landing surface that acted like a seal on door? Or do you think it has more to do with strapping etc?

Good question, I really don't know. I think that I was able to close it better with my strapping being loose vs being tighter on the Axis, I think it's hugging my legs too much.  I tried looser strapping on the Axis but it's a no go. 

Archived