Pro’s Choice Thread

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

Yes and congrats on the mask

I am glad you didn't use "official" in the title. That used to make me mental. 

I know I am not an admin, but I propose this rule: unless it is started by a company rep of said company, the word “official” can’t be used by one of us schlubs to title a thread.

37 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I know I am not an admin, but I propose this rule: unless it is started by a company rep of said company, the word “official” can’t be used by one of us schlubs to title a thread.

I don't want it anywhere. It's pointless. I hated the "official" thread on GSBB. 

If the reps start or the company is active on the board, it's the manufacturer's corner 

Otherwise it's just in the gear thread.

10 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I don't want it anywhere. It's pointless. I hated the "official" thread on GSBB. 

If the reps start or the company is active on the board, it's the manufacturer's corner 

Otherwise it's just in the gear thread.

Y'know what I hate? "Sitings".

Otherwise I agree.

On 11/8/2017 at 3:48 PM, Chenner29 said:

Am I allowed to start an official manufacturer thread? 

Yell at me if I can’t. 

Here’s my shell at Sir Frank Cipra’s shop for paint. 

How flexible was Dom on having the 961 vent holes rather than the standard ones he does now? I always preferred this look...

1 hour ago, TitanG said:

How flexible was Dom on having the 961 vent holes rather than the standard ones he does now? I always preferred this look...

Honestly, I didn't ask for it and I had no preference.

Main things I asked for were a chin sling, tri bar cage, and a slightly longer chin drop since I don't wear a dangler anymore.

Here’s my current Pro’s Choice mask. This mask is the best! Taken a lot of hard shots and built like a tank. 

The paint job is a tribute to Bunny Larocque. This design I came up from my old Armadilla mask that Don Straus made for me.

I had Ron Slater paint it on my Pro’s mask. He also paints for Tuukka Rask.

63C5E85F-523F-4FD0-9EF3-2E2EAC5B9AB2.jpeg

6829E1F2-FFFB-479E-947D-FA3098A6039B.jpeg

8F13FE62-5A3A-4E3B-BE59-BD6C0B7A207D.jpeg

On 11/8/2017 at 10:19 PM, Chenner29 said:

Honestly, I didn't ask for it and I had no preference.

Main things I asked for were a chin sling, tri bar cage, and a slightly longer chin drop since I don't wear a dangler anymore.

Also curious as to whether Dom requires a face mould to be done or not. 

On 11/9/2017 at 9:48 AM, Bell31 said:

Here’s my current Pro’s Choice mask. This mask is the best! Taken a lot of hard shots and built like a tank. 

The paint job is a tribute to Bunny Larocque. This design I came up from my old Armadilla mask that Don Straus made for me.

I had Ron Slater paint it on my Pro’s mask. He also paints for Tuukka Rask.

Nice 

the Vapor ear holes are a cool throwback now 

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

Nice 

the Vapor ear holes are a cool throwback now 

That was one request that I had with Dom with the Vapor ears.  Always liked how it looked when Bauer had him making masks for them.  Also I wonder if Dom is making masks for Kiver masks in Russia.  Because they make a mask like the old Vapor symbol too and have his trip bar cage.

21909858_318504278558972_7836622556919496704_n.jpg

On 11/15/2017 at 9:26 AM, Bell31 said:

That was one request that I had with Dom with the Vapor ears.  Always liked how it looked when Bauer had him making masks for them.  Also I wonder if Dom is making masks for Kiver masks in Russia.  Because they make a mask like the old Vapor symbol too and have his trip bar cage.

Doubt it. 

Don't know much about the brand, but from the pics I've seen, their gear looks..."very derivative."

What's the price point on these things?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally!  It was a long process.

Ordered in July, when all the pros were getting their buckets done.  Mine got pushed back after Calvin Pickard got traded to Toronto.
Got to Cipra's shop in November.  Finished in March.  There was a one month delay because USPS took forever to deliver payment to Cipra.
Got to Dom's shop on Monday, hardware and padding put in Tuesday, got to me today.

The design originally started as a Roy Habs tribute in my colors, but I quickly realized that hiring Frank for such a simple design would be a waste of an opportunity to do something really neat.  I wanted to stick with simple, bold colors and a design that was easy to see from a distance.

This is what we came up with...

image.thumb.png.085c11f10ea10da734778598955a09b4.pngimage.png.9092d1ec870eefc6c8c35a791f6dfd44.png

image.png.e9c7173ebece548360cc345dd5c76962.pngimage.thumb.png.955088f15ef6887ec8dba6b25c2945d1.png

image.thumb.png.7a34507d9174c88b0e63d74a99ec7810.pngimage.thumb.png.ace8fe8c2c1b7e3e91a1711a7cb1ddf1.png

• 4 weeks later...

I have read up on this guy. There are quite a few differences in the actual construction of this compared to a Dom-made Pro’s Choice.

I can’t justify the cost of a Made in China mask that is custom padded compared to a custom padded, top of the line Protechsport, especially since I have read about the construction differences between the Made in China mask compared to the hand made mask. Yes- this most likely has a much shorter lead time than a Protechsport and of course a Dom-made Pro’s Choice. And I would hope that Dom has watched these guys get built to make certain it passes his muster. It seems like a lot of money to get something that is Pro’s Choice in name only. 

Archived