Pro’s Choice Thread

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Yea idk about this one.  I love my PC mask but at that price for a custom padded mask I feel there are other options out there that I would go to first.

I don’t know that this custom padded. I think it’s just like Bauer 960.

Made in China and about $800. In my opinion, that’s who this competes with 

Just now, old but slow said:

Technically it's a Vaughn so Dom and PC may not have much to do with it, other than the harness and cage

True.

The big advantage is that with Vaughn’s power, they may have a CSA and HECCA (or whatever abbreviation for USA) sticker on it!

2 hours ago, old but slow said:

Technically it's a Vaughn so Dom and PC may not have much to do with it, other than the harness and cage

It’s listed on his website though and I believe he’s the only source to buy it 

My understanding is that these are not custom padded, they come in Medium and Large only.  Shell is a similar style to the 960, but with a shorter chin.  However, having seen pics of it next to a 960, it is not nearly as wide of a shell and seems a bit more narrow fitting.

The Maltese sweat band was added by the person who purchased this mask. 

@old but slow - I have a contact at PC and Dom was definitely involved in this project. I am sure there was salesmenship involved in our conversation, but he swears there is not as much difference ad you'd think for a $1300 price difference. 

2 hours ago, old but slow said:

@TheGoalNet, I was merely speculating as it wasn't all that long ago that there were other logos on PC mask (I think). Good to know that it's more a PC than I thought.

Completely valid thought. Just confirming what I had heard.

I feel like this bucket is a prime example of marketing... I am shocked these are not more popular. I guess that Vaughn does not market or promote these as well as Bauer and CCM? 

If I'm not mistaken, originally these were only available through PC.  I remember seeing them for sale on the site last year after GoalieGearNerd tweeted a pic.  I think a lot of people, if they even saw it, balked at the price, I know I did.  Obviously PC didn't go to market at the retailer level and lets face it, with the Vaughn name on it and at $750-$800, not likely to sell over Bauer and CCM just based on reputation. 

1 minute ago, jayluv54 said:

If I'm not mistaken, originally these were only available through PC.  I remember seeing them for sale on the site last year after GoalieGearNerd tweeted a pic.  I think a lot of people, if they even saw it, balked at the price, I know I did.  Obviously PC didn't go to market at the retailer level and lets face it, with the Vaughn name on it and at $750-$800, not likely to sell over Bauer and CCM just based on reputation. 

I look at it the other way. If a stock shell Pro's Choice fits me... I would imagine it's a great mask for $800. Buying it through Pro's Choice seems more appealing than ordering one through Goalie Monkey. 

I don't know? Maybe I am too optimistic about this... but I am just surprised more people don't jump on this. 

21 minutes ago, TheGoalNet said:

I look at it the other way. If a stock shell Pro's Choice fits me... I would imagine it's a great mask for $800. Buying it through Pro's Choice seems more appealing than ordering one through Goalie Monkey. 

I don't know? Maybe I am too optimistic about this... but I am just surprised more people don't jump on this. 

I don't think people like investing that kind of money in something they can't go try on somewhere.  I agree that I would put it up there with any other high end, off-the-shelf mask.  I also think the whole "Made in China" think is a major hang up for a lot of people as well.  Personally, I wanted one the minute I saw it, but I'm not a $800+ mask guy when I can get a Sportmask or Protechsport for much less with the exchange rate.  The other problem with this mask is putting "Vaughn" on it, their retail mask reputation is not exactly stellar.

The problem is, not enough people are aware of the quality of anything associated with Dom and Pro's Choice.  Add in the fact that Vaughn's mask history has been one horrible ugly mask after another....
If they could get these masks into the WHL/OHL/QMJHL and other junior leagues it would increase people's awareness that Vaughn finally has a half decent mask on the market.

Got mine yesterday.  Seems like a decent product for being off-shore, depending on how picky you want to be...finish isn't perfect, excess glue residue, etc.  Very heavy too, especially compared to my X8, but a much bigger, more solid, and rigid shell than the X8.  From the look of the pictures I had seen side by side with a 960, I felt like it was going to be similar in terms of shell shape and fit.  Unfortunately, I was right and the fit is very similar to a 960/961, so doesn't fit me very well at all.  I thought I'd take a chance on this mask because of the price I got on it, but I'm really not sure I'm ever going to wear it just based on the way it fits me.  

1 hour ago, jayluv54 said:

Got mine yesterday.  Seems like a decent product for being off-shore, depending on how picky you want to be...finish isn't perfect, excess glue residue, etc.  Very heavy too, especially compared to my X8, but a much bigger, more solid, and rigid shell than the X8.  From the look of the pictures I had seen side by side with a 960, I felt like it was going to be similar in terms of shell shape and fit.  Unfortunately, I was right and the fit is very similar to a 960/961, so doesn't fit me very well at all.  I thought I'd take a chance on this mask because of the price I got on it, but I'm really not sure I'm ever going to wear it just based on the way it fits me.  

In the end, do you feel it is any better than the off the shelf options in the same price range?

That's a tough question.  In terms of protections, yes, and then some.  The mask just feels rock solid.  However, the downside is,  it's heavy, not well balanced and just not very refined.  At a retail price point of $750, your looking at competing with a Wall W8, OTNY X-1 Pro, Coveted, and a Sportmask T3 on a retail level.  I feel like all of these masks are going to be just as protective, but feel and comfort are going to be superior.  Again, this is just my opinion based on my mask preferences and experience.  I've used a lot of different masks over the years, but I most associate this one with a Hackva.  Fit and finish are sloppy, very heavy, sits too high on the head, but that being said, it feels like it can take bombs all day, with the occasional knee or elbow and not leave me with so much as a headache.  I'm really torn on whether I want to battle-test this one to see if my initial impressions are correct or relegate it to my Ebay pile.

• 1 month later...

Archived