Imperative's 2017 season

Imperative

Changed up the camera angle for this one. Changed up the sharpening on my skates and went with 1/2” but my left skate blade is really messed up, it looks like there is a dip just inside the toe which results in  uneven contact with the ice. I have to take them elsewhere and get them fixed. Does anyone have a Sparx? Is it worth it? The local guy has repeater messed up my blades and the next closet is an hour drive (one way). 

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Cam:

Good game – even if you did have a “defective” skate :D. Looks like your ice times are coming closer together now. Are you playing league this year?

I really like the fact you stay up on a number of the high shots. In an age where it seems dropping is the default for every play, that’s a good example of smart save selection. I also wish I had half your active stick capability.

With respect to the video before this one and breakaways to the blocker side, I would give myself a bit more credit on those. I think the blocker appears to cover more area than it does because of its shape (as presented to the shooter) and combination with the paddle, so a lot of shooters tend to go glove. The problem is the blocker is way less mobile: it’s not even so much that added weight of the stick but the fact the stick tends to limit both range and ease of motion. You can whip your glove hand all over the pace or adjust it as the play approaches (lowering it as the puck gets closer to maintain the optimum vertical angle) but the blocker is always to some extent an extension of your stick.

@3:39: LOL – that’s how all my poke-checks come out, hence the reason I rarely ever try it...

7 hours ago, Ghostender said:

Hey Cam:

Good game – even if you did have a “defective” skate :D. Looks like your ice times are coming closer together now. Are you playing league this year?

I really like the fact you stay up on a number of the high shots. In an age where it seems dropping is the default for every play, that’s a good example of smart save selection. I also wish I had half your active stick capability.

With respect to the video before this one and breakaways to the blocker side, I would give myself a bit more credit on those. I think the blocker appears to cover more area than it does because of its shape (as presented to the shooter) and combination with the paddle, so a lot of shooters tend to go glove. The problem is the blocker is way less mobile: it’s not even so much that added weight of the stick but the fact the stick tends to limit both range and ease of motion. You can whip your glove hand all over the pace or adjust it as the play approaches (lowering it as the puck gets closer to maintain the optimum vertical angle) but the blocker is always to some extent an extension of your stick.

@3:39: LOL – that’s how all my poke-checks come out, hence the reason I rarely ever try it...

I was checking the blades again today and there is a dip in both blades about 2.5” from the toe where he had been taking too much out of the steel. I don’t know what I should do, the next closest sharpening place is an hour and I like to have them sharpened every 2-3 skates. If the shots are coming in a bit slower or high from a sharp angle I try to stay on my feet being a shorter Goalie I give up a lot of room upstairs when I go down. My hand eye was going ok with my stick but my glove turned into a blocker all evening, haha. I don’t think I caught a single puck. As far as breakaways go and being best blocker side especially I think it is a it of depth control issue and blocker location as I slide from my left to my right. I’ll get it sorted out. I have a few more skates before our first game on the 19th. I am playing for the Vikings again this year and I believe a 26 game schedule but I am not splitting time with another goalie like last year. I also am a sub in a couple leagues in  Red Deer so I may get a couple more games there. 

15 minutes ago, Imperative said:

I was checking the blades again today and there is a dip in both blades about 2.5” from the toe where he had been taking too much out of the steel. I don’t know what I should do, the next closest sharpening place is an hour and I like to have them sharpened every 2-3 skates.

I’d recommend two things then:

1) new runners

2) get a Sparx

On 2017-10-02 at 5:49 PM, IPv6Freely said:

I’d recommend two things then:

1) new runners

2) get a Sparx

I believe they can fix the blades and make them straight again. I have been looking into the Sparx, not a cheap item $1125 Canadian plus shipping. That is a lot of sharpneings haha. I may see if a few teammates would want to pool for one, I watched one review where a whole team used the Sparx, only hassle is everyone will need their own grinding ring for the different hollows. 

Is this rink a smaller rink? I ask because the footage you took looks very close considering you set the camera up on the side glass. Or is it the setting you used on the camera? What setting is it on? The one time I put the camera where you did I looked like an ant on the screen.

21 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Is this rink a smaller rink? I ask because the footage you took looks very close considering you set the camera up on the side glass. Or is it the setting you used on the camera? What setting is it on? The one time I put the camera where you did I looked like an ant on the screen.

No it is a regulation sized rink. I set up my GoPro hero 3 silver (settings are 1080 narrow view for this angle). You probably had it on the wide view and that is why you looked so small. 

On 2017-10-04 at 4:26 PM, WillyGrips13 said:

No it is a regulation sized rink. I set up my GoPro hero 3 silver (settings are 1080 narrow view for this angle). You probably had it on the wide view and that is why you looked so small. 

well I got my skates fixed, I took them elsewhere and they were able to flatten the steel again and man 3/8” feels 1000% sharper than when my blades were messed up. I felt pretty good this skate, still need to dial in breakaways but felt decent overall

Pretty awesome, Cam. Looked much more sure on your skates. No concerns about the breakaways. Shooters had tons of time and the roofs were just nice shots. I don't know how you stop all the 5 hole shots. Looks like there's tons of room there but you always get it closed. Looking good!

Felt good in this skate. I was tired but it think that forced me to be a little more patient on my feet. Getting my skates fixed really helped my movement and I added a new silicon spray to my pads that help with the sliding. A couple more “tune up” shinny before games start. 

7 minutes ago, Imperative said:

Felt good in this skate. I was tired but it think that forced me to be a little more patient on my feet. Getting my skates fixed really helped my movement and I added a new silicon spray to my pads that help with the sliding. A couple more “tune up” shinny before games start. 

Way to end the session with a windmill!! 

How did the silicon feel? I tried it once myself it was almost too much slide for me. Wore down over time obviously... but just curious as to your thoughts...

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

Way to end the session with a windmill!! 

How did the silicon feel? I tried it once myself it was almost too much slide for me. Wore down over time obviously... but just curious as to your thoughts...

Personally I love the silicon spray on the pads. You do have much more slide which you need to be aware of and learn how to manage it, so I need to get to my edges faster so I don’t slide way out of position. I also like that is it a protectant for my pads hopefully resulting in them lasting longer and the heavy wear spots not wearing as quickly. 

2 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

I found it did absolutely nothing for me. I tried the sliding polish on my pads also... still doesn't slide much. 

What brand did you use? Was it the passau? I haven’t ever tried theirs just because it costs more to ship to me than the actual polish. I used a spray on silicon leather protector meant for boots this last time 

Your video: Mobility/flexibility looked really good to me. Some of your stops were amazing. Just had some bad luck on the 6 & 7 holes. Pads or not, you have to have some of the best pushes around. Blocker side seems to have gotten straightened out also. You look pretty ready to have another good season.

Other guy's video: do I really look like I guess that much? I truly hope not. For a big guy, he scrambles a lot and is an excellent skater. He's good but not in your league. 

42 minutes ago, Fullright said:

Your video: Mobility/flexibility looked really good to me. Some of your stops were amazing. Just had some bad luck on the 6 & 7 holes. Pads or not, you have to have some of the best pushes around. Blocker side seems to have gotten straightened out also. You look pretty ready to have another good season.

Other guy's video: do I really look like I guess that much? I truly hope not. For a big guy, he scrambles a lot and is an excellent skater. He's good but not in your league. 

I don’t think you guys look the same but you both have a bit of that stand up style in your game. Funny thing is he is only 3-4 years older than me, I kind of played a similar style to him and have tried and modernize my game, sadly after I played any kind of competitive hockey, haha. He is a good skater and he is the other goalie I split games with last season. 

7 hours ago, Fullright said:

You look sharp. We need to get some more pads on your arm pads so fill those 6 & 7 holes. Lol. Good luck on Thursday! If I have any suggestions, it is just to try and not be over aggressive with your moves. You're much faster than you realize.

Yeah a lot of pucks going through my body or bouncing off of my body. Something I need to clean up.

well this was supposed to be game one of the season but the other team cancelled on us at the last minute so we had a shinny. Two games this week so going to have work it out during games, haha. I felt ok but needed to have my skates sharpened again I had a few slip outs which put some really unnecessary strain on my groins. Number 13(who is my d man on the Vikings) really has my number this year and lit me up really bad this skate. I don’t know if he got way better over the summer or I got worse but he rarely scored last year. 

Archived