Designing a Modern Retro Set

Punisher Goalie

On 11/11/2017 at 7:05 AM, Punisher Goalie said:

So this damn website has made me obsessed with two things: retro sets and Brian’s gear.

Still incessantly pondering my inevitable Optik set order, but my leading idea is to go for a modern retro set. I was absolutely floored the first time I saw @chakal‘s retro/tan G3 set and then again when he posted the R/GTs in similar colors. For some reason, I love this look. I don’t really want to mimic a vintage pad, I like how the modern shape and style play off the old-timey color.

While I have a primary team, I play a lot of organized pickup, etc. so I just don’t want to commit to a single set of colors in such an expensive set. I feel like the only available options are mostly-white, mostly-black, and retro tan. The tan is particularly appealing because it seems like it goes with any color jersey/uniform. Work works too, but is boring and I have a full set of white SZ3 that I’ll probably just hang on to to be a backup/alt set. Black has a similar appeal to tan, but I just don’t think its as universal.

So here’s what I have built on the Optik customizer and is my leading design so far. Almost all the “retro tan” color, with antique gold air knit on the vents (its the closest option available in air knit). The sliding surfaces have to be black (could be white or gray but don’t think that would work) to be Primo, which I want. I played around a bit with adding accents in Bucky or another brown material but thought it took away from the clean look.

I would LOVE to get some feedback. Open to any suggestions to improve the design. FYI, I don’t know whether they will agree to this but I plan to ask them to remove the “Optik” logo on the lower outer roll area of the boot. 

Please help me before I commit! Thanks!

34AFC391-0954-4410-81BA-1ECFD212B87E.thumb.jpeg.51919544cac151fb4a1827c8197a064b.jpeg

0BA66E33-631D-4E47-8B2A-49AE02B34B1F.thumb.jpeg.44702cb431efab66049410425dc6b41a.jpeg

F20A9BB0-DBB6-4906-8DE6-A8098315D29A.thumb.jpeg.28cffa57dfd191276273ac80ce5c3eb1.jpeg

I think those look great as is.

On 11/11/2017 at 7:30 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Some people will lambast you for putting retro tan on a modern pad; I say screw it- get what you want! If jenpro never got out of the brown family of colours, this is what a modern pad would look like. 

I think the design looks pretty good as is. Bucky requires some extra care- avoid it with this design. I LOOOOOVE the look as it really looks the part. Maybe it has improved. 

I like the way your design looks. 

I don't think putting retro tan on a modern pad looks stupid. I, personally, don't like the mixing of retro tan with other colors. Black looks ok to me but anything else, meh.

On 11/11/2017 at 1:06 PM, bunnyman666 said:

Vertical stitch WOULD look hot @TheGoalNet @Punisher Goalie, but please please PLEASE don’t get the waffle face when ONLY one blocker face looks good on Brian’s: the half star in WHITE. THAT is the definitive retro blocker face for retro Brian’s.  

Agree on the Star over the waffle.  Don't agree on white though.

22 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

@bunnyman666 @TheGoalNet :

Appreciate the suggestions. I guess what I’m going for here is more about the tan/brown color that trying to achieve a “retro look”. That’s what I think is so cool about @chakal‘s G3s. Maybe I need to design something that has more accents, like a “black and tan” look so that it still fits with the modern style of the Optiks.

Still debating whether all black is the way to go, too. Not that its hard to imagine but if I did it, it would look like this below. Copying @TheGoalNet‘s nice style with matte black with black weave accents:

596FF3EB-6B9B-4855-8C5A-CF2299EE24A3.thumb.jpeg.f12c79532aea814555612ca8bcbf958e.jpegEBC21AEC-0D1B-40DE-8ABB-1B70096EFE98.thumb.jpeg.fb04588104b207c83a788deee307fb56.jpeg6038A8F9-C61C-4891-A3BD-D96B4B85826F.thumb.jpeg.d47b41183f8df3e6a704e96b4f13195f.jpeg

I like these as well

57 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Just not enough contrast. It doesn’t help that warrior pads are so ugly anyway. 

Plus they look like the pads are wrapped in paper supermarket bags like people do with textbooks.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/11/2017 at 12:28 PM, TheGoalNet said:

@Punisher Goalie - since you are ordering custom, do you have any additional funds for a custom graphic? Your colors are well done, but the vertical stitch is always the icing on the cake... 

@BadAngle41 posted a blocker on the Optik thread. That is the best retro set IMO

@TheGoalNet that is an amazing and under rated set... and I agree on the vertical stitch etc when you go vintage. When going tan it's my opinion that you have to have the look through stitching as well, knee rolls, shin etc. The all black set @Punisher Goalie posted or even your own (and i know yours has varying materials) in solid can use the stock patterns, but for tan it has to be done all the way.

1 hour ago, BadAngle41 said:

@TheGoalNet that is an amazing and under rated set... and I agree on the vertical stitch etc when you go vintage. When going tan it's my opinion that you have to have the look through stitching as well, knee rolls, shin etc. The all black set @Punisher Goalie posted or even your own (and i know yours has varying materials) in solid can use the stock patterns, but for tan it has to be done all the way.

Yeah it is for this reason that I am starting to lean slightly towards black. As cool as the retro tan is, a multi-material black (combo of matte and weave) seems like it would really fit the vibe of the Optik pad. 

If I were going with R/GTs for example, which already have the knee rolls, etc., I would be dead set on tan. GoalieMonkey has a sick color option of tan with black accents that looks amazing. Wonder if its an SMU?

24 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Yeah it is for this reason that I am starting to lean slightly towards black. As cool as the retro tan is, a multi-material black (combo of matte and weave) seems like it would really fit the vibe of the Optik pad. 

If I were going with R/GTs for example, which already have the knee rolls, etc., I would be dead set on tan. GoalieMonkey has a sick color option of tan with black accents that looks amazing. Wonder if its an SMU?

I liked when I had a black base last (Koho 580s... so quite some time ago) but I will say there is a slight increase in opportunity to lose the puck off your pads. Blacked out looks great though, especially with changing up materials for accent etc. You can't go wrong. I like the retro tan in that because it goes w/ nothing (generally speaking) it goes w/ everything.

The face options are one of the reasons I'm considering Vaughn blocker over the Optik... Vaughn offers some great retro-esque faces that would like up w/ the rest of my kit. Not sure if/when I'd hear back from @Brians_Joz as to whether Brian's is offering custom graphics on Optik. 

I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do exactly in the customizer... so I resorted to paint and finished it off. I wanted to hide that accent in the thigh rise and it seemed connected to another color zone? @Hills or anyone else figure that out?

I think something like this would be what you want? 

Obviously the back should be brown or black nylon, but my computer had too much internet lag and I game up 

Optik 2.png

3 hours ago, TheGoalNet said:

I couldn't figure out what I wanted to do exactly in the customizer... so I resorted to paint and finished it off. I wanted to hide that accent in the thigh rise and it seemed connected to another color zone? @Hills or anyone else figure that out?

I think something like this would be what you want? 

Obviously the back should be brown or black nylon, but my computer had too much internet lag and I game up 

Wow excellent design. Yellow in the star is also pretty interesting. You guys have given me a lot to think about. Won’t be long before I’m ready to pull the trigger. 

22 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Wow excellent design. Yellow in the star is also pretty interesting. You guys have given me a lot to think about. Won’t be long before I’m ready to pull the trigger. 

The star was just nominal haha... If you play on a Bruins colored team though, it could work. 

You could always mix in some yellow like this guy too...

8564.jpg

5 hours ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Brian's will do an Optik pad with knee rolls.  Just so you know.

Do McLean style, black pads and cream gloves.

mclean.jpg

Here is how I would do retro. I always loved the bucky and white look over black, thought it looked like a cool ginger bread man thing. That is bucky and not the retro jenpro colour. I think bucky looks better.

OPTD5a0a1c9827fca-pads.png

OPTD5a0a1c9827fca-set.png

29 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

Yeah sorry for being so confusing with my thought process - I’m pretty set on ordering something that maintains the modern look but with retro type colors. Or all black. Lol. 

Not confusing at all.  I was just making sure you knew you could achieve that knee roll look with the Optik as well.  There is a picture in the Optik thread of the Notre Dame goalie whom has them on his Optik pads.

35 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Not confusing at all.  I was just making sure you knew you could achieve that knee roll look with the Optik as well.  There is a picture in the Optik thread of the Notre Dame goalie whom has them on his Optik pads.

Correct. Dylan St.Cyr has them. Manon Rheaume is his mother

Archived