Opinions on Vaughn Blockers/Gear

Maxpower29

2 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

Wow this escalated quickly. But i like it. 

Thanks for the responses. Hockey place around here said they have one VE8 pro carbon blocker in Canada left in all white. So I'm getting it shipped here to try and see which i like better. The have the SLR Ventus one clearance as well (both the same price) but I didn't really like the feel of it much. Maybe it's just new and stuff. Going to try the VE8 when it comes in and go from there. 

I'll post pics of my addiction in the making this week. So fun to buy new gear 

Not one ounce/gram of negative escalation though.....we are all friends, you'll see.

Great to hear to have a new blocker on the way, new gear is the best and there is something in particular about a new blocker that feels so damn good.  I think of all our gear that feel progressively worse over time as they age and break in, it's blockers that do it the most.

@A.YOUNGoalie13 I know I know, no blocker punching at pucks.  It's such a difficult habit to break, though. I'm not a large guy, 5'10ish about 170 pounds and I'm pretty agile and play a more aggressive style in net.  I've been playing more passively the past few years as I've gotten older* and tying to conserve more energy for games. Attending a few goalie camps for sure helped with being more disciplined and learning to prioritize positioning over athleticism.  But the point still remains, you can get a little more pop out of Vaughn style blocker by giving a little punch on impact.

*I'm only 39, not old you little brat.  But while I'm at it, get off my lawn :) 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, seagoal said:

To these young whipper snappers we may as well be Boomers.

Shit, I'm 32 and got called a Boomer over some video game chat. Apparently being twice these kids' age will immediately classify you as over the hill.

Little shits.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

To these young whipper snappers we may as well be Boomers.

Shit, I'm 32 and got called a Boomer over some video game chat. Apparently being twice these kids' age will immediately classify you as over the hill.

Little shits.

9 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

It’s all relative; I mean, to me you’re a little shit too, @coopaloop1234!

😘

You guys are the best.  It's all good.  Life is pretty great in my late 30s.  I wouldn't go backwards even if I could.  I'm grateful for the perspectives of the youngins on here.

Speaking of which, where's Max been?  It was always in my mind Max, @southpawtendy48 @ThatCarGuyand @A.YOUNGoalie13 who were going to run us all out and take over this site at some point. ......not Max who started this thread, but you know, old school young Max in Long Island.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, seagoal said:

You guys are the best.  It's all good.  Life is pretty great in my late 30s.  I wouldn't go backwards even if I could.  I'm grateful for the perspectives of the youngins on here.

Speaking of which, where's Max been?  It was always in my mind Max, @southpawtendy48 @ThatCarGuyand @A.YOUNGoalie13 who were going to run us all out and take over this site at some point. ......not Max who started this thread, but you know, old school young Max in Long Island.

39 was definitely a great age for me: that’s when I started goalering!

56 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

It’s all relative; I mean, to me you’re a little shit too, @coopaloop1234!

😘

And you wouldn't have me any other way.

49 minutes ago, seagoal said:

What truly wins?

Young and starry eyed or old and crotchety?

I'd like an honest answer because I'm still toeing the line between the two and I need to pick a side for the inevitable upheaval.

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

yea... waiting on the fellow youngins to actually develop some style tho.. 🤫

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, southpawtendy48 said:

You clearly win there....Vaughn biases aside.  I thought you might appreciate these

image.thumb.png.9ef6e8e9135c024b4413c4f6ee347ff5.png

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

And you wouldn't have me any other way.

What truly wins?

Young and starry eyed or old and crotchety?

I'd like an honest answer because I'm still toeing the line between the two and I need to pick a side for the inevitable upheaval.

Coop, haven't you learned from beer league that we can have both on the same team?

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Coop, haven't you learned from beer league that we can have both on the same team?

Nah, us Vs them man.

Funny enough I'm on the younger side on two of my teams and our biggest adversaries are the younger teams. We're slowly becoming the older teams in the divs and I'm not ready for that yet.

That being said, my third team I'm one of the grizzled vets.

9 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Nah, us Vs them man.

Funny enough I'm on the younger side on two of my teams and our biggest adversaries are the younger teams. We're slowly becoming the older teams in the divs and I'm not ready for that yet.

On my team, I’m the youngest by at least 5 years - and I’m 42! Of course I’m in a 35+ league, but still 

1 hour ago, Lucky Pucker said:

On my team, I’m the youngest by at least 5 years - and I’m 42! Of course I’m in a 35+ league, but still 

1 hour ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Nah, us Vs them man.

I'm 3 seasons into a 40+ division which is actually really fun.  They let me in at 38 as a goalie. By the time next season starts, I'll be legit.  There are some straight up grandpas in that division and on my team.  Nicest, most inspiring gentlemen imaginable.  It's a competitive division, just without all the egos and chest pounding in the corners, after whistles, etc. .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I'm 3 seasons into a 40+ division which is actually really fun.  They let me in at 38 as a goalie. By the time next season starts, I'll be legit.  There are some straight up grandpas in that division and on my team.  Nicest, most inspiring gentlemen imaginable.  It's a competitive division, just without all the egos and chest pounding in the corners, after whistles, etc. .

You know it’s funny, I’m turning 37 this year...

I remember when I was asked to sub in 35+ when i was in my mid 20s - I remember thinking “I don’t wanna skate with these old fucks” so I made up some lame excuse 

I got asked a few years ago (early 30s) and it didn’t sound as bad so I played 

13 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

You know it’s funny, I’m turning 37 this year...

I remember when I was asked to sub in 35+ when i was in my mid 20s - I remember thinking “I don’t wanna skate with these old fucks” so I made up some lame excuse 

I got asked a few years ago (early 30s) and it didn’t sound as bad so I played 

I have a little bit of....zeal...playing goalie, at times.  I play the puck a lot, make passes, chip off the glass, etc.  First time I came out the net the best D on my team yelled at me "dude, what the hell are you doing?"  He panicked.  It was hilarious. 

Next whistle he comes up to me: "so you play the puck, huh?"

"Yeah, I like to make passes, cut off rims behind the net, clear the zone, you know."

Him: "Jesus Christ, you damn kids.  I shoulda known to watch out for you with all that fancy blue matching gear and your painted helmet"

I was smiling so big.  We became friends pretty quick and I trained him to start deferring to me when I came out the net. 

I went from a "damn kid" to "the best damn goalie in this division" pretty quick.

8 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Right???

New test: does a Vaughn blocker “pop” or “thud” ... or maybe “crack” when donned to straight arm a petulant upstart in the chicklets? 

(Just kidding. I’m not condoning violence. At least not until the pandemic is over, and it’s safe to get up in someone’s grill again)

Soft millennials unlike myself that I must deal with in school are coming after you

5 hours ago, seagoal said:

Not one ounce/gram of negative escalation though.....we are all friends, you'll see.

Great to hear to have a new blocker on the way, new gear is the best and there is something in particular about a new blocker that feels so damn good.  I think of all our gear that feel progressively worse over time as they age and break in, it's blockers that do it the most.

@A.YOUNGoalie13 I know I know, no blocker punching at pucks.  It's such a difficult habit to break, though. I'm not a large guy, 5'10ish about 170 pounds and I'm pretty agile and play a more aggressive style in net.  I've been playing more passively the past few years as I've gotten older* and tying to conserve more energy for games. Attending a few goalie camps for sure helped with being more disciplined and learning to prioritize positioning over athleticism.  But the point still remains, you can get a little more pop out of Vaughn style blocker by giving a little punch on impact.

Sorry @seagoal, didn’t mean to hurt your old, “fragile” feelings.😂 Just wanted to update you on what current goalie schools teach these days🤣🤣 But yeah, I’ll get off your lawn, I would hate for you to pull something while chasing me off!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, seagoal said:

I’ve been keeping up with him on Instagram. Long Island hasn’t had high school hockey this year so he hasn’t looked into gear too much recently 

3 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I’ve been keeping up with him on Instagram. Long Island hasn’t had high school hockey this year so he hasn’t looked into gear too much recently 

Nice, thanks for the update.  Glad to hear he is ok. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, southpawtendy48 said:

Everyone else needs to pick it up compared to me and you. One of our goalies for juniors ordered a full custom axis set and didn’t even match the set to itself 🤦‍♂️
EA13AB5A-A8C4-41EA-81DF-04C93E89C30B.jpeg.defecc03aebe651c1a77e76f43655924.jpeg

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

I have a little bit of....zeal...playing goalie, at times.  I play the puck a lot, make passes, chip off the glass, etc.  First time I came out the net the best D on my team yelled at me "dude, what the hell are you doing?"  He panicked.  It was hilarious. 

Next whistle he comes up to me: "so you play the puck, huh?"

"Yeah, I like to make passes, cut off rims behind the net, clear the zone, you know."

Him: "Jesus Christ, you damn kids.  I shoulda known to watch out for you with all that fancy blue matching gear and your painted helmet"

I was smiling so big.  We became friends pretty quick and I trained him to start deferring to me when I came out the net. 

I went from a "damn kid" to "the best damn goalie in this division" pretty quick.

Similar story, but I chipped it off the glass into his face (he had a cage on)

He quickly learned my backhand is nowhere near as good as my forehand and comes back to support me when I'm being pressured to go backhand

So I played tonight first time with the new pads, neck guard, cup, and couple times now with the new pro carbon chesty. My GOD I got shelled. Played wayyyy too high skilled guys (my normal group when I play out). 

I had a hard time adjusting the pads to fit me correctly and comfortable. Last week I wore a pair of used pro carbon SLRs and they felt better. Thinking I should have bought them instead but the idea of the Velocity line makes more sense to me if I am not very technical. Maybe it's just because they are new. 

Any videos on how most people like to adjust the pad straps? These pads do seem confusing how they made them 

1 minute ago, Maxpower29 said:

So I played tonight first time with the new pads, neck guard, cup, and couple times now with the new pro carbon chesty. My GOD I got shelled. Played wayyyy too high skilled guys (my normal group when I play out). 

I had a hard time adjusting the pads to fit me correctly and comfortable. Last week I wore a pair of used pro carbon SLRs and they felt better. Thinking I should have bought them instead but the idea of the Velocity line makes more sense to me if I am not very technical. Maybe it's just because they are new. 

Any videos on how most people like to adjust the pad straps? These pads do seem confusing how they made them 

You just have mess with them. Find out if you like it better tight or loose. More tension at the top of the calf will bring the pads higher on the skate which gives you a better attack angle which will help with skating.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Maxpower29 said:

Oh and here is a pic of the new gear. 

Still waiting on the pants, padded pants and shirt, knee pads, and trapper. 

PXL_20210304_033516008.jpg

Oh ok, now I know why you are confused you have them magnet pads😂 They should work like normal clips where you pull on them to tighten them, but some people just take those straps totally off. Again though it’s personal preference.