Opinions on Vaughn Blockers/Gear

Maxpower29

5 minutes ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Oh ok, now I know why you are confused you have them magnet pads😂 They should work like normal clips where you pull on them to tighten them, but some people just take those straps totally off. Again though it’s personal preference.

Ya they seem like they tried to make the most confusing strapping system of all time with these pads. But it's nearly 12am here and I'm in my living room trying them on so I am a sucker for goalie gear 

23 minutes ago, Maxpower29 said:

Ya they seem like they tried to make the most confusing strapping system of all time with these pads. But it's nearly 12am here and I'm in my living room trying them on so I am a sucker for goalie gear 

Don't sweat the magnet straps too much.  Honestly, they do nothing.  The velcro strap in the center of the calf is the only functional strap on the outer part of the calf. 

You can test this easy, too.  Play one period/half of your session with the magnet straps hooked in and play the next with them unhooked and tucked in so they don't flap around.

See if you notice a difference.  I doubt you will.  I left mine on because they weigh basically nothing and I have them tightened to where they are just barely taught when hooked in.  But don't worry too much about their function because they have none.

Pay WAY more attention to the upper calf strap inside the leg channel (known as the Professor or Scrivens strap).  That, along with your toe ties, is where all the functional magic happens on those pads.  If you need to focus on anything and make some strategic adjustments, that's where you should aim. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Don't sweat the magnet straps too much.  Honestly, they do nothing.  The velcro strap in the center of the calf is the only functional strap on the outer part of the calf. 

You can test this easy, too.  Play one period/half of your session with the magnet straps hooked in and play the next with them unhooked and tucked in so they don't flap around.

See if you notice a difference.  I doubt you will.  I left mine on because they weigh basically nothing and I have them tightened to where they are just barely taught when hooked in.  But don't worry too much about their function because they have none.

Pay WAY more attention to the upper calf strap inside the leg channel (known as the Professor or Scrivens strap).  That, along with your toe ties, is where all the functional magic happens on those pads.  If you need to focus on anything and make some strategic adjustments, that's where you should aim. 

So the toe tie, how do most wear it? Also the calf strap inside. How tight should that be? 

35 minutes ago, Maxpower29 said:

So the toe tie, how do most wear it? Also the calf strap inside. How tight should that be? 

Great questions.  Man, these have been hashed out on here so much.  

Search for threads on here for any of these terms and you will find a ton of info:

Pro laces, bungee toe ties, professor strap, scrivens strap.

Also, are you using a boot strap?  I know those pads come stock with a detachable stretchy elastic boot strap with a magnet clip (speaking of design flaws....oof).  Are you using it?

To loosely answer your questions now: tight, on both, with the goal of keeping the pads sitting higher on your leg and having them move with your legs, then having the tight bungee toe tie do the work of stretching when needed but bringing the pads back to normal position after rotating when you are on your knees. 

One of the challenges of goalie pad design of late has been keeping it firmly connected to the leg and skates while still being able to freely rotate.  It's all about finding harmony between connection and mobility.  That's why we don't see thigh straps, thigh wraps/boards, or boot straps any more on many goalies these days, also why toe ties are now mostly bungee rather than fixed.  It's a lot to think about and process, but once it makes sense to you, it'll be clear as day.

There is a whole lot of good reading on here on these topics if you do some searching.  I'm too lazy to link threads for you right now, sorry mate. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Oh trust me I know. Classrooms are delicate places these days. You can get some girl to cry by barely saying anything. Hockey locker rooms are wayyyy more fun

Extremely, hence why I switched to online. Students are too sensitive nowadays. That said I’ll probably still wear a mask when I get back to Texas despite the lifted mandate. Don’t want to be in quarantine missing combines and ice time. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Oh trust me I know. Classrooms are delicate places these days. You can get some girl to cry by barely saying anything. Hockey locker rooms are wayyyy more fun

18 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Extremely, hence why I switched to online. Students are too sensitive nowadays. That said I’ll probably still wear a mask when I get back to Texas despite the lifted mandate. Don’t want to be in quarantine missing combines and ice time. 

One of my Pakistani coworkers when some other older man was going off on garbage about how everything is too "politically correct" once said, "who is suddenly now being respected that did not deserve it in the first place?" It's a much better perspective instead of thinking everyone but you is too sensitive; being nice is less effort than being a shitheel.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

Just got my V9 pro knee pads today. They seem insane bulky. Not sure I like them. Might return them. Anyone else use them and like them? 

They had these in my local hockey shop but I don't think I even looked at them.  I never make a point to check out knee pads.  That said, I do prefer bulky knee pads and I use the Warrior Ritual 2 Pro + ones.

You should post pics. Are they flashy white like your pads? ;)

• Like 1

Played tonight without the boot strap. I loved the feel of the pads but didn't like how they would ride up a bit and didn't have my knee in the middle of the landing pad sometimes. Might add it back on and adjust. I didn't try the V9 knee pads. I might return them. When you put them on it feels like you have two trains attached to your knees. The Bauer maxsorb ones I have feel fine so might keep them. 

Absolutely love the VE8 pro carbon pants. My ball hockey pair i was using is a pro Vaughn also but from 2011-2012 maybe. Possibly earlier. The Epic 8000 I think or something. Still like them but it's more a ball hockey lose fit where as these new ones felt they fit the set better. 

Pads are also disgustingly light. I went from a pair of old Rbk P2s from at least 10+ years ago to these and they are less than half the weight plus fit me better. 34+2 vs 33+1. 

Tried the V9 goalie shirt also but took the forearm pads off because they didn't fit right with the chesty. But liked it overall. Only waiting on the padded pants to come and the used pro carbon trapper. 

I love ice goalie it's so fun and challenging

Edited by Maxpower29

33 minutes ago, Colander said:

Ughhh - I've apparently used up my quotient of snide and stupid comments for March and we aren't even a week in - the anguish!

@coopaloop1234- how did you get your credit limit increased????

Change your title to elitist and you can get away with anything. 

It's a damn miracle I haven't been banned for any period of time. 

Probably because all the mods are secretly in love with me. 

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2021 at 10:22 AM, seagoal said:

They had these in my local hockey shop but I don't think I even looked at them.  I never make a point to check out knee pads.  That said, I do prefer bulky knee pads and I use the Warrior Ritual 2 Pro + ones.

You should post pics. Are they flashy white like your pads? ;)

They've been pretty much the same since V6 (?)

On 3/5/2021 at 11:10 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Change your title to elitist and you can get away with anything. 

It's a damn miracle I haven't been banned for any period of time. 

Probably because all the mods are secretly in love with me. 

IMO it's more like watching the little kid in class fight and bite the other kids.  You let him get away with it because you want the other parents to deal with it

14 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

All?

It's gotta be all right? Unless it's the opposite and there's one hold out that's hanging the jury on my posting privileges?

Who's my secret admirer?

14 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

They've been pretty much the same since V6 (?)

IMO it's more like watching the little kid in class fight and bite the other kids.  You let him get away with it because you want the other parents to deal with it

Nevermind, there he is.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

Found and bought a matching VE8 pro carbon blocker new from Prohockeylife. Matches the one i bought used but it's broken in and still it great shape. Absolutely love them. First game using them was my best yet 

Nice to hear, sounds like you are in a good space and feeling confident. 

But...pics or it didn't happen. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Nice to hear, sounds like you are in a good space and feeling confident. 

But...pics or it didn't happen. 

Hard to get it all in one pic but here's the pads, blocker, trapper, chesty, neck guard, pants, padded shirt and pants, knee pads, and cup. 

Just say it. I'm a new Vaughn whore 

PXL_20210313_043113331.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Maxpower29 said:

Hard to get it all in one pic but here's the pads, blocker, trapper, chesty, neck guard, pants, padded shirt and pants, knee pads, and cup. 

Just say it. I'm a new Vaughn whore 

PXL_20210313_043113331.jpg

Nice man, looks great.  I'm generally not too excited about white gear, but there is something about Vaughn blockers in particular that I really like when in white. I was watching Ottawa the other night and digging Murray's blocker.  I think it must be the font and the Vaughn logo....it's the boldest wordmark in the NHL on goalie gear.  

Those knee pads look slick...so carbony.  Is that outer carbon stuff like a firm plate or is it just carbon looking nylon?

I think you are indeed a new Vaughn whore.  Welcome.  Which reminds me...how old are you?

I'm 39 and have been using Vaughn since I started playing at 12 or 13.  Nowadays I'm using Warrior sticks and knee pads, Bauer skates and jock, and a Sportmask but the rest is Vaughn. 

Edited by seagoal