Opinions on Vaughn Blockers/Gear

Maxpower29

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

I stole it from @TheGoalNet.

Being a regular on here has its perks.

@ThatCarGuy why skate lace toe ties for you?  How are you on this site so much and not using Pro Laces?  My new ones for the V9s shipped today.

I opted for skate lace because I need a toe bridge that I could put prolaces on which I can’t do with the standard bungee toe bridge

1 hour ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I opted for skate lace because I need a toe bridge that I could put prolaces on which I can’t do with the standard bungee toe bridge

Ah, I see.  So you must use the screws then?  I get the TGN spec version which is just skate lace through any two holes of any toe bridge. 

I didn't bother to inspect this in person but their toe bridge for their stock bungee is strange, I wonder how those ends are attached.  The plastic clips on the other are are a whole other disaster.

Vaughn-Senior-V9-Pro-Carbon-Hockey-Goalie-Pad.thumb.jpg.45c71b6dc53d38ceeafd3f2768664083.jpg

Edited by seagoal

Has anyone experienced cracking on the V9 logo on the side of the blocker? I recall seeing a few photos somewhere, where it had failed after being hit by pucks. I'm getting closer to the replacement of my B7800 that I have been using for the past 8 years, and while having the plastic logo area crack does not detract from the way the blocker functions in any way, I'd rather not have that happen.

9 minutes ago, bildeer said:

Has anyone experienced cracking on the V9 logo on the side of the blocker? I recall seeing a few photos somewhere, where it had failed after being hit by pucks. I'm getting closer to the replacement of my B7800 that I have been using for the past 8 years, and while having the plastic logo area crack does not detract from the way the blocker functions in any way, I'd rather not have that happen.

Good question, I'm wondering about this too.  I bet you can ask the Brian's folks too.  The V9 and the B⭐ logo seem identical to me. 

My VE8 blocker sidewall has 2/3 cracked windows. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, seagoal said:

Good question, I'm wondering about this too.  I bet you can ask the Brian's folks too.  The V9 and the B⭐ logo seem identical to me. 

My VE8 blocker sidewall has 2/3 cracked windows. 

I’m not so sure that they are. Although I play a “resale-value-focused” style, some jerks have still hit my gear with shots once in a while - and some of those right in the B-⭐️ (See pics of blocker, trapper, and both pad outer rolls).

Joking aside, Brian’s has their logo incorporated into the blocking surface of their gear, where it is expected to be hit. Ergo, it has to be a much more resistant plastic, I would think. Or at least it should be. IIRC from >year ago when I last saw Vaughn gear in person, the plastic over the logo seemed thinner/cheaper/prone to cracking.

DD24AC7C-02BB-4224-AD05-4674855E7979.jpeg

2F4AF4D1-DB0E-4FF3-91EC-02A0FCA6D388.jpeg

B612C298-F642-421D-BA6A-8AFEEA8FAD5C.jpeg

25544EF7-EAC0-47BB-91E8-EF6D927160AD.jpeg

• Like 2

14 hours ago, seagoal said:

Ah, I see.  So you must use the screws then?  I get the TGN spec version which is just skate lace through any two holes of any toe bridge. 

I didn't bother to inspect this in person but their toe bridge for their stock bungee is strange, I wonder how those ends are attached.  The plastic clips on the other are are a whole other disaster.

Vaughn-Senior-V9-Pro-Carbon-Hockey-Goalie-Pad.thumb.jpg.45c71b6dc53d38ceeafd3f2768664083.jpg

The stock bungee attaches like any other running through the bridge. It might be a pain but you can absolutely still use tgn spec on them. My last set of prolaces were tgn spec but I got tired of messing with the lacing so I opted for bolts this time around

14 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I’m not so sure that they are. Although I play a “resale-value-focused” style, some jerks have still hit my gear with shots once in a while - and some of those right in the B-⭐️ (See pics of blocker, trapper, and both pad outer rolls).

Joking aside, Brian’s has their logo incorporated into the blocking surface of their gear, where it is expected to be hit. Ergo, it has to be a much more resistant plastic, I would think. Or at least it should be. IIRC from >year ago when I last saw Vaughn gear in person, the plastic over the logo seemed thinner/cheaper/prone to cracking.

DD24AC7C-02BB-4224-AD05-4674855E7979.jpeg

2F4AF4D1-DB0E-4FF3-91EC-02A0FCA6D388.jpeg

B612C298-F642-421D-BA6A-8AFEEA8FAD5C.jpeg

25544EF7-EAC0-47BB-91E8-EF6D927160AD.jpeg

Nice follow-up.  

I went to my hockey shop today.  They feel and look identical. 

So the VE8 carbon windows that crack on the blocker are truly windows: they're flat pieces of plastic wholesale covering the carbon sheet inside,  which itself is flat and has no depth or shape. So the plastic there is a detached layer sorta floating above the underneath thing.

The V9 logo is not a window.  The logo itself is covered with a molded plastic that conforms tightly to the shape and depth and ridges of the logo itself underneath. It's molded connected piece without space in between the plastic and the thing underneath........just like the B⭐ There are shape conforming dents in the 9 just like the B. 

20210410_173437.jpg

20210410_173431.jpg

20210410_173420.jpg

20210410_173413.jpg

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, seagoal said:

Nice follow-up.  

So the VE8 carbon windows that crack on the blocker are truly windows: they're flat pieces of plastic wholesale covering the carbon sheet inside,  which itself is flat and has no depth or shape. So the plastic there is a detached layer sorta floating above the underneath thing.

The V9 logo is not a window.  The logo itself is covered with a molded plastic that conforms tightly to the shape and depth and ridges of the logo itself underneath. It's molded connected piece without space in between the plastic and the thing underneath........just like the B⭐ There are shape conforming dents in the 9 just like the B. 

20210410_173437.jpg

20210410_173431.jpg

20210410_173420.jpg

20210410_173413.jpg

Fwiw, these are called "epoxy dome" logos. They're usually digitally printed, but in this case it looks like they're using a 3D logo (a company from Florida called World Emblem makes a lot of these). The logo is then put into a mold and covered with clear epoxy. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, seagoal said:

Nice follow-up.  

20210410_173437.jpg

20210410_173431.jpg

20210410_173420.jpg

20210410_173413.jpg

I think I mistakenly mixed up VE8 and V9... what you say here is correct (i was thinking of those little window things in the VE8). 
That’ll learn me to try to speak knowledgeably about Vaughn gear - lol!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, motowngoalie said:

Fwiw, these are called "epoxy dome" logos. They're usually digitally printed, but in this case it looks like they're using a 3D logo (a company from Florida called World Emblem makes a lot of these). The logo is then put into a mold and covered with clear epoxy. 

Nice, thanks for that info. I'm certain Brian's and Vaughn are sourcing the same exact thing on these logos.

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

I think I mistakenly mixed up VE8 and V9... what you say here is correct (i was thinking of those little window things in the VE8). 
That’ll learn me to try to speak knowledgeably about Vaughn gear - lol!

Haha, hey that's what I'm here for. 

It's like playing goalie (or more specifically the puck as a goalie): if you don't make mistakes,  you ain't trying hard enough.

To anyone interested in the original post, I have found that over the last 10-15 games that my chest protector got more worked in I haven't had a single shot hit me in the unprotected shoulder area. I am still going to add a 2nd shoulder cap but it seems the single one settles a bit (possibly). 

I'm also still sending it in to pay and get it beefed up which i would suggest. Feeling shots isn't the end of the world but it's not fun and I'm assuming the life will be longer out on the unit with the more padding. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Realized I forgot to post these pics I took comparing the size of a 35 VE8 to a 34 V9.  Very minimal difference overall.  I was told the sizing translates perfectly and that when you raise the overall size by 1 , you get a 1/2 inch in the shin and another 1/2 in the thigh. 

You can't see it too clearly but my blue pad does bend down in the thigh a bit more than this new white pad. I am a leaner

20190602_203103.jpg.81906e56a969655144cf3437517cd2fa.jpg

20210411_173308.jpg

20210411_173642.jpg

20210411_131513.jpg

20210411_131731.jpg

20210411_131736.jpg

20210411_131739.jpg

• Like 2