Synthetic ice - goalie specific feedback

1 hour ago, Ross said:

Check out the GoalieTrainingProTV ( Maria Mountain) review of the Can Ice versus the Revolution tiles. The higher the quality of tiles the less shavings and dust there is. https://www.goalietrainingpro.com/uncategorized/at-home-synthetic-ice-for-goalies-2020-can-ice-vs-revolution/

Wow! That was fantastic- thank you so much, @Ross! Maria FTW!

I didn’t know about the Can Ice option - but now I’m extremely interested. As we will be viewing this as an investment for 3-4 family members here, this might be better overall - especially given the double-sided feature.

Again, thank so much for the link; seeing is believing, and you know you can trust Maria. 

44 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Wow! That was fantastic- thank you so much, @Ross! Maria FTW! OMGMAFBBQ!

I didn’t know about the Can Ice option - but now I’m extremely interested. As we will be viewing this as an investment for 3-4 family members here, this might be better overall - especially given the double-sided feature.

Again, thank so much for the link; seeing is believing, and you know you can trust Maria. 

Fixed that for you ;) 

• 1 month later...

I'm a little late to this party but I've had the Can-ice installed my my garage for almost a year now.  Very useful for crease drills, stickhandling, shooting, etc.  It's not quite like real ice, but maybe 85-90% similar.  

I have two pairs of Grafs, and found the movements to be much crisper off the standard blades than my Step Steel (both are sharpened to 7/16"). I have a very hard time pushing while down in the Steps, but the regular blades have more bite into the plastic and pad slides are relatively easy in those.

Can-ice markets their product as "virtually no shavings" and that's not accurate.  There are definitely shavings and the do get on your gear, but it just looks like the shavings are larger or stringy as compared to other brands. I brush my gear and skates off after every session, and have to sweep the pad too.

• Like 1

Thought I'd add a couple of pics from today's session on the Can-ice pad.  This is after maybe 40 minutes.   

It's just a quick sweep with a whisk/handheld broom to the gear, and a wipedown with a rag on the skates to take the lubricant off the blade.  

Haven't been on the skates or in the gear in awhile between health issues and workload, but it felt good today and moments like this make me thankful for having it.  If anyone needs additional details just let me know.

20210418_133449.jpg

20210418_133529.jpg