Knees Bruising

ThatCarGuy

I have been using the factory mad knee pads that I got barely used in October of 19' 

They have removable pads for the area where your knee goes and also the top area.  I take pucks to the knees all of the time because of how I play and I feel that they are very well designed, and can stand up to direct shots. I have only had two shots that I thought hurt in these and feel that they were a better choice than the koho's that I had been wearing previously. Another nice thing is that every single part on these can be replaced.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Came here to say that I recently converted from Warrior single shield style knee pads to Factory Mad. 

I suffer from bone cartilage fragments in the knee which occasionally causes extreme discomfort at random times. This, combined with two separate one timers making it through to the knee in two back to back skates, caused me to look at options. 

I kid you not, these knee guards have changed my game for the better. I haven’t been beaten through the five hole in the 4 or 5 games since I started wearing. My mobility actually increased bc I used to wear the pads attached to my pants and I switched to wearing these on the skin under tights with a layer of tape to hold in place. I don’t know the mechanics of why it is so much better, but I got quicker in my movement. Best thing is that there are hidden air cushions throughout the pad which have made my cartilage thing not felt at all on the ice. 

I think I will always have a pair of these specific ones. I have decided that if anything happens to my current pair, I will be getting a new set from Dennis ASAP. 350$ money well spent. 

• Like 2

@bildeer or @Taco or...

Anybody care to share some photos of the Factory MAD's? Interested in an overall shot and then maybe one where they are pared down (since things are "removable"). Checked their site and no pics of the knee pads. Or maybe point me to a place such photos exist (?). Thanks!

Edited by chile57

49 minutes ago, chile57 said:

@bildeer or @Taco or...

Anybody care to share some photos of the Factory MAD's? Interested in an overall shot and then maybe one where they are pared down (since things are "removable"). Checked their site and no pics of the knee pads. Or maybe point me to a place such photos exist (?). Thanks!

Here is what mine look like. They came with a second pad that goes in the knee area and another that goes behind the front shield. I have removed those because I found that they moved my leg pad further away from my leg than I would have liked.

kneepad1.jpeg

kneepad2.jpeg

kneepad3.jpeg

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...

On a similar note, I have had my knees bruise from landing in the butterfly. I used Vaughn Ventus LT80 knee pads (the listed size was senior). I found out that the front of my knees were covered, but there was no material covering the inside.  For right now, I've found a temporary solution by sewing some old socks into the inside edges of the knee pads. I don't know if it's a fit issue, or if the Vaughn kneepads just suck.

What models and/or manufacturers do you recommend? I've heard good reviews about the most recent Warrior knee pads. 

2 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

On a similar note, I have had my knees bruise from landing in the butterfly. I used Vaughn Ventus LT80 knee pads (the listed size was senior). I found out that the front of my knees were covered, but there was no material covering the inside.  For right now, I've found a temporary solution by sewing some old socks into the inside edges of the knee pads. I don't know if it's a fit issue, or if the Vaughn kneepads just suck.

What models and/or manufacturers do you recommend? I've heard good reviews about the most recent Warrior knee pads. 

I play 3-4 times a week year round and use the Warrior Pro + knee pads and have found them to be quite good at cushioning landing.  The padding in the part below the knee that takes the knees when down is really thick, comfortable, and protective.  I've not had problems with bruising at all. 

20190506_082101.jpg

20190506_201117.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

image.thumb.png.17ea65743f673f4331d8d2e5958b9cb8.pngi

I wear these from Bauer under my Optik knee pads and its been great. I picked them up at my local hockey store.

• 3 months later...
On 1/9/2022 at 12:25 AM, seagoal said:

I play 3-4 times a week year round and use the Warrior Pro + knee pads and have found them to be quite good at cushioning landing.  The padding in the part below the knee that takes the knees when down is really thick, comfortable, and protective.  I've not had problems with bruising at all. 

20190506_082101.jpg

20190506_201117.jpg

I have since got these. They are awesome in terms of protection. The only issue is making sure they don't slide down my legs. The A&R garter belt I have tends to get loose, especially on my left leg. Without the garter belt, my knee pads have tended to slide down like crazy, even when I tighten them all the way. 

Edited by ilyazhito

2 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

I have since got these. They are awesome in terms of protection. The only issue is making sure they don't slide down my legs. The A&R garter belt I have tends to get loose, especially on my left leg. Without the garter belt, my knee pads have tended to slide down like crazy, even when I tighten them all the way. 

Thankful I've not had to deal with this common problem.  I tape mine on all 3 straps and wear my hockey socks over them and they stay put just fine for me. 

I've never connected my knee pads to anything to hold them up.

I must of been too old skool for my own good. I wore nothing but deep heat spray, much to the dismay of whoever was next to me in the locker room. Occupational hazard. 😛

Bare in mind, I’d definitely wear knee pads if I’d ever come out of retirement. Some of the pads here look like puffy clouds for the softest of landings!

Edited by The Teal Terror

On 3/17/2021 at 11:31 AM, ThatCarGuy said:

As the title says I’ve recently had tons of knee bruising from dropping to butterfly. I have pretty bony knees so I’m unsure if it’s just time for new knee pads (had Warrior X2 Pro for since they came out) or need to fill the knee landing on my pads with a different foam. The knee landing area on 2S isn’t exactly soft and comfy. 
Looking for solutions and/or knee pad suggestions.

This is why I wore the Bauer G Form sleeves under my knee pads. Makes a world of difference. Everyone should do this.

I know there is a baser layer coming out in a few months that will have similar padding for this reason.

If you can't wait and can't find the Bauer, look at G Form or McDavid (Sold at Dicks)

Yeah so after a few experiments, I wear G-Forms, then PAWs (stock height cushioning), then put a sock over that and a bit of clear tape. My knees feel great.

The cushion cells on G-Forms feel like hard plastic when it's cold, but your body heat warms them up and it provides a really perfect blend of support and softness. Also I can just throw them in the wash after a game or two, I love them and I recommend them. 

• Like 1