G4 Thread

cwarnar

Hi evrybody,

I need some help, well I live to switzerland and i prospect for change glove, blocker and pads.  Currently I have bauer S150 for the gloves and a CCM retroflex 550 SR for the pads.

So on goalie  monkey lot of spring discount but I’m far away and I need to take the good choice because to make a return is not really possible for me.

I have a chest and arms and pant by Warrior and I love it, so I want continue with this brand. For the gloves is ok have made my choice but for the pads for about the same  price I’m not sure by 2 models : Ritual G4 SR or Ritual G3 Pro?

And I want to know for customs the colors is only on the Pro Custom series?

Thank’s and sorry for my English.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Alright so I had a chance to use my G4s tonight. I used both the ARS toe and boot. The pads sit really high on me and the top inner corner of the pads were constantly touching each other, even when I wasn't in my stance. So my next question is, how can I get my pad to sit a bit lower and stop the pads overlapping each other so much. My G1s were 34 + 1.5 and my G4s are 34 + 1. Bummed out that the red is already flaking away... 

20190411_210912.jpg

On 4/11/2019 at 6:59 PM, Patrick Roy's Wink said:

Alright so I had a chance to use my G4s tonight. I used both the ARS toe and boot. The pads sit really high on me and the top inner corner of the pads were constantly touching each other, even when I wasn't in my stance. So my next question is, how can I get my pad to sit a bit lower and stop the pads overlapping each other so much. My G1s were 34 + 1.5 and my G4s are 34 + 1. Bummed out that the red is already flaking away... 

20190411_210912.jpg

You can go to a pro lace or alternative. It'll loosen the tie to the front and let it sit a bit lower. 

Removing the bootstrap will help too. 

Neither will be massive differences, but probably enough to keep you happy. 

13 hours ago, 88goalie said:

@Patrick Roy's Wink love your setup, clean lines and great color combination. Did I see those on Instagram? Waiting on my order and was wondering how game ready was the glove? Also any more skates, have you been able to tweak things to your liking?

Thanks man. Yeah that's my set on Warriors instagram. The glove's closure out of the box was pretty good. I've been breaking it in by keeping it closed one day using a baseball glove wrap and opened another day with a piece of wood. 

I've only had 2 skates in the pads so far. The second skate was better than the first but I'm still tweaking it. My summer season starts in May so I have to wait a little longer than I would have liked.

On 4/18/2019 at 11:58 PM, Patrick Roy's Wink said:

Thanks. I just finished reading the pro lace thread. I'll probably end up ordering this weekend. Just need to decide if I want the hybrid or original prolace.

Go Hybrid. The slack will make the pad fit off the skate more (making it feel shorter) and it also feels a lot more natural.

• 1 month later...

Just got my custom G4 set yesterday and can’t wait to use them coming from Pete Smith (I think 6000 pads with adjustable thigh rise). The Warrior knee guards are going to be a big adjustment I have tried them once and the top part kept sliding down. Also do you all use the knee strap across or down to the calf?

10D42A36-C87D-4562-AE17-463ECAF0A4E1.jpeg

357B5C11-2703-499C-99C5-CD856D9476EB.jpeg

3 minutes ago, 88goalie said:

Just got my custom G4 set yesterday and can’t wait to use them coming from Pete Smith (I think 6000 pads with adjustable thigh rise). The Warrior knee guards are going to be a big adjustment I have tried them once and the top part kept sliding down. Also do you all use the knee strap across or down to the calf?

10D42A36-C87D-4562-AE17-463ECAF0A4E1.jpeg

357B5C11-2703-499C-99C5-CD856D9476EB.jpeg

I really like the colors on your setup!

@Nohtaram I did try them with tape last time. The lower part of the Warrior knee guard stayed firmly in place and felt good, but even putting a wrap of tape below the top portion would not keep it from sliding down. I did have hockey socks over the knee pad also. Sorry not trying to turn this thread into a knee pad thread. Hoping to get these on the ice tomorrow night and add some better feedback. 

Same as last response, i tie the upper part up with no tension.  I used before skate lace that was tied to my cup.  I just bought undergear that as velcro to keep socks up and i tie it to that. See pictures. You can do it with girdle also.  But i find the key is not to have tension to have to make your muscle waste energy fighting it.

20190529_080257.jpg

20190529_080321.jpg

20190529_080358.jpg

20190529_080432.jpg

On 4/10/2019 at 7:34 AM, Adri said:

Hi evrybody,

I need some help, well I live to switzerland and i prospect for change glove, blocker and pads.  Currently I have bauer S150 for the gloves and a CCM retroflex 550 SR for the pads.

So on goalie  monkey lot of spring discount but I’m far away and I need to take the good choice because to make a return is not really possible for me.

I have a chest and arms and pant by Warrior and I love it, so I want continue with this brand. For the gloves is ok have made my choice but for the pads for about the same  price I’m not sure by 2 models : Ritual G4 SR or Ritual G3 Pro?

And I want to know for customs the colors is only on the Pro Custom series?

Thank’s and sorry for my English.

Hey, I meant to reply to your post ages ago and forgot. Sorry! I'll try to help:

-From what I recall, G4 SR has the same internals as G3 Pro, so definitely go with G4 Sr. You also get new tech in Airslide and Active Drop that G3 does not have.

-Correct, custom colors are only available on the Pro series.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

I have had a few skates with the new gear, first impressions. Blocker is nice, super light and easy break in. Catcher is going to take a little while to break in for sure but should be good when it is. Pads feel good, still playing with how tight to strap them, and whether to wear the knee strap behind the knee or at the calf, what are the advantages / disadvantages? Pads feel good, but knee pads still feel like too much. Where do you all wear them, under socks or over? Also socks have been catching profile lock on pads and undoing the profile lock. Thanks for any help. 

18 minutes ago, 88goalie said:

I have had a few skates with the new gear, first impressions. Blocker is nice, super light and easy break in. Catcher is going to take a little while to break in for sure but should be good when it is. Pads feel good, still playing with how tight to strap them, and whether to wear the knee strap behind the knee or at the calf, what are the advantages / disadvantages? Pads feel good, but knee pads still feel like too much. Where do you all wear them, under socks or over? Also socks have been catching profile lock on pads and undoing the profile lock. Thanks for any help. 

I wear knee pads on top of my compression pants and don't find to have any issues. Granted, I use the RGT's, so no profile lock to worry about.

For the the knee strap, strapping behind the knee allows for a closer, tighter feel, while down to the calf loosens it up a bit. Also, strapping to the calf removes any issues with the strap or flap interfering with your kneepads/pants.

Honestly, try both for 2-3 skates and see what you like better. It ultimately boils down to how it feels for you and what you prefer.

Archived