G4 Thread

cwarnar

1 hour ago, 88goalie said:

I have had a few skates with the new gear, first impressions. Blocker is nice, super light and easy break in. Catcher is going to take a little while to break in for sure but should be good when it is. Pads feel good, still playing with how tight to strap them, and whether to wear the knee strap behind the knee or at the calf, what are the advantages / disadvantages? Pads feel good, but knee pads still feel like too much. Where do you all wear them, under socks or over? Also socks have been catching profile lock on pads and undoing the profile lock. Thanks for any help. 

I would always recommend wearing either player socks or compression pants over top of your knee pads.  Primarily because it helps keep them in place and prevent them from getting caught on other pieces of equipment.  It also prevents the velcro tabs from catching/pilling other nylons i.e. in your goal pant or back of the thigh rise.

• Replies 425
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Kirk3190 said:

I would always recommend wearing either player socks or compression pants over top of your knee pads.  Primarily because it helps keep them in place and prevent them from getting caught on other pieces of equipment.  It also prevents the velcro tabs from catching/pilling other nylons i.e. in your goal pant or back of the thigh rise.

Bingo!  I wear mine under a set of UA compression pants.  No slippage or movement issues... and I don't need a garter or tape.

20 minutes ago, Kirk3190 said:

Hey, where's my set? It's due next week and I haven't received it yet. I needz it.

7 hours ago, 88goalie said:

Thanks for all the tips. I would love to go with no knee pads, but I’m afraid I’ll take a pick to the knee   

Yea, even if you have a good flare, the added security for errant pucks is always welcome. I've been hit on my knee pads about 4-5 times in 2 years. Not a lot, but am I ever glad I had them.

9 hours ago, 88goalie said:

Thanks for all the tips. I would love to go with no knee pads, but I’m afraid I’ll take a pick to the knee   

The other 2 good reasons for knee pads:

1.  Warrior integrates the knee pad into the knee landing for proper stability and rotation of the pad.  I played my first skate in my previous all White GT Pros without the knee guards (demo set that didn't have laundry bag) and it was atrocious.  Pads felt floppy and I played brutal.  2/3 games and you'll be adjusted.

2.  The latest studies are saying that every time we butterfly our knees are taking 3 times you body weight.  How many times in a skate are we down???  Save your body and keep the knee pads!

• 1 month later...
On 7/15/2019 at 11:34 AM, bunnyman666 said:

Monkey would not do that. I kept getting an error message.

Is there a spot on their customizer/order process for additional comments/notes?  If not, I would recommend contacting them and asking to speak with Chris Dudo.

• 1 month later...

Hello all, I have had the g4 pads for a few months now and have adjusted and enjoyed using them, however since the day I got them I have been having a hard time getting a flush seal on the ice in the thigh rise area.

I have tinkered with the strapping but nothing has really fixed the issue it’s almost like the knee block holds the pad up off the ice.  Is this normal for a stiff pad Or maybe am I doing something wrong?

For reference I have all strapping below the knee and use the bootstrap through the holder with pro laces.

5 minutes ago, Shady80 said:

Hello all, I have had the g4 pads for a few months now and have adjusted and enjoyed using them, however since the day I got them I have been having a hard time getting a flush seal on the ice in the thigh rise area.

I have tinkered with the strapping but nothing has really fixed the issue it’s almost like the knee block holds the pad up off the ice.  Is this normal for a stiff pad Or maybe am I doing something wrong?

For reference I have all strapping below the knee and use the bootstrap through the holder with pro laces.

Yea, you must be doing something funky. Can you take some pictures of the seal issues and how you strap 'em?

22 minutes ago, Shady80 said:

Apologies these are the only pictures I have at the moment, the gap in the seal is exaggerated in the pictures, but in general that is what it looks like even with weight on them.

So aside from the V in the pads (as I'm assuming that's due to no weight being in them), is the space between the thighrise and floor about what you see on the ice?

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

So aside from the V in the pads (as I'm assuming that's due to no weight being in them), is the space between the thighrise and floor about what you see on the ice?

The v goes away correct, the seal is about the same though.

Archived