The Skate Laces Thread

TheGoalNet

On 12/15/2017 at 11:15 AM, cwarnar said:

Got my "Scrivens" Lacing done this morning.  I took 2 screen shots from the periscope that Scrivens did as well5a33f4327a9b6_ScreenShot2017-12-15at10_09_01AM.png.94a421e0ad1462f23f8809b7f7ae4764.png

5a33f4346577f_ScreenShot2017-12-15at10_08_40AM.png.fa6e0290bfc7f952dc4353b02f8fc00a.png

Crappy quality but I did the following:

Did not skip first eyelet

Went inside out for the next 3 eyelets

Went under/over/under (on the same side, DO NOT CROSS OVER) on the next 2

Went inside out on the final 3 eyelets

Did not run laces thru the top eyelet

I like the feeling from just wearing the skates in the house.  Hoping to take them for a spin this weekend! 

284803EC-727E-4942-B9D6-7B97377BB8D6.thumb.jpeg.88cbd22326353d74ef84a30da747b81a.jpeg

I know this is an old post, but how did you like this lacing method on the ice?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, oncogene said:

They have waxed and non waxed versions. Tried the waxed yellow one recently since getting new pairs of skates. Did not like them. The laces seem to have more wax than actual lace in them. After many skates the laces were still stiff like a candle and had like no give whatsoever. If you tie them up a bit too tight, you are going to be in pain for the game. And the laces also started to roll up like a thin rope/string. Untying them is also a pain. End up ditching them for some Graf waxed laces. Much better.

They have quite a few more than just waxed and unwaxed, too. I prefer the X7 wide unwaxed.

On 4/26/2018 at 1:42 PM, Punisher Goalie said:

I know this is an old post, but how did you like this lacing method on the ice?

So far so good.  I noticed less foot pain at the start of my skate.  I'm hoping to make the move to a new skate soon.  Waiting for the AS1 Super Tack

1 hour ago, cwarnar said:

So far so good.  I noticed less foot pain at the start of my skate.  I'm hoping to make the move to a new skate soon.  Waiting for the AS1 Super Tack

They're at several PHL locations already out this way! Come, come. 
Got to look at the new CCM attack holder on the AS1/9080/9060 skates! Good stuff. 

• SaveByRichter35 changed the title to The Skate Laces Thread
  • 11 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Just thought I'd post up a minor experiment I've been running for the last month in case its useful to anyone else:

Since I started playing again in 2010 I've always left out the top eyelets for a bit more ankle mobility (skates - Bauer 3000s, Bauer Elites, Graf G50s w/vertex)

Switched to a pair of 1s about a year ago, immediate experience was that leaving the top eyelet out felt way too loose, whilst tying all the way to the top made me feel like a golf club! Found a hybrid / middle ground by running the lace from the penultimate eyelet, up to the outside of the last eyelet, threading it inside and tying inside of the last eyelet, which gave a nice mix of stability and flex in the boot.

A few months into owning the 1s I started to get bad foot pain (ball of foot) and numbness in some of my toes, which I put down to having wide feet and high arches and skates never really fitting correctly. On a whim I went back to normal lacing instead of the hybrid method, still felt like a golf club initially, but no pain and felt like I had loads more foot control. Tried the hybrid method again last night - loads of pain in the ball of foot and generally my feet felt as sloppy as hell. 

So my take away was altering lacing to take away pressure on one part of your foot might just end putting excess pressure elsewhere - in my case it seems having less ankle support was putting a lot more stress on the bottom of my foot,  either that or I've just got abnormal feet 😂

TLDR: Tying your skates as intended might be better and cause less foot pain in the long run!

My update (Bauer Vapor X700): I was using the Scrivens method for the past season and just recently went all over-under minus the last top hole. I found that the gap in the middle was giving stress bite and was a pain to tighten. I was lacing all the way up but felt the strain on the top of my ankle. Now the extra flex in my stance is well welcomed.

I wouldn't mind trying out a pair of Supremes to see the difference.

• 1 month later...

Glad I found this thread.

I'm using Elite wax laces on my True skates.  Last few skates the laces keep coming undone.  I have a narrow foot so I'm wrenching on the laces as tight as I can.  The skates are custom but still feel like I'm tightening more and more as the skate has broken in.  

I'm thinking the wax is worn off and just need a new pair.  If I'm looking for the best hold, should I try Howie's?

I've had the best results with Howie's waxed laces.  Other brands were hit or miss, some were really bad.  One I actually emailed to complain about and never got a response, which I expected.  Changing laces every six months or so to keep the wax in the wear areas on the lace is important.  After so long, you're just dealing with regular lace.  You can also just shift the lace over a couple inches so the eyelets and lace are in a less worn wax area to extend the life. 

11 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

You guys and your silly waxed laces. Unwaxed is always the way to go.

I never liked the feel of waxed laces when tying and never found any benefit to using em.

Plus I need to be a contrarian on just about anything.

Same here. I just go unwaxed and I've never had any issues.

I went with waxed laces one time because my skate laces broke and they were given to me. I found them harder on the fingers when tying them and didn't notice any "wow" factor when using them on the ice. Went back to unwaxed laces since then.

37 minutes ago, dreadlocked1 said:

I love that locked in feeling I get when I pull each set of eyelets, they feel like they lock in and there's minimal slipback, allowing me the tightest fit I want.  It could also all be in my head, but I swear it works. 

I find that too with wax.  With a narrow foot, I think I'm pulling on the laces more than most.  Regular lace seems to slip alittle when I go to the next eyelet.

Gonna try some Howie's.

• 6 months later...

So I switched to Howie's and now back to elites.  My right skate keeps coming undone.  No matter which laces I use.  Thoughts?  Different way I should be lacing?  I'm thinking I'll have to knot the right side and fight to remove it after.  Don't know what else to do.  This only started since using True skates.

1 hour ago, daffy said:

So I switched to Howie's and now back to elites.  My right skate keeps coming undone.  No matter which laces I use.  Thoughts?  Different way I should be lacing?  I'm thinking I'll have to knot the right side and fight to remove it after.  Don't know what else to do.  This only started since using True skates.

Tight it, and tight it over again, I been doing it for years. 

When I put on my pads, I make sure after I attach the Velcro ends of the toe-ties the skate lace loops are trapped under them (pinched between the Velcro tabs and the front of my arch). As long as I do that, I have never had a lace come loose.

6 hours ago, Colander said:

When I put on my pads, I make sure after I attach the Velcro ends of the toe-ties the skate lace loops are trapped under them (pinched between the Velcro tabs and the front of my arch). As long as I do that, I have never had a lace come loose.

I'll give that a try as well.  Thanks

19 hours ago, Colander said:

That's a good method. I'll have to give this ago whenever we're allowed on the ice again.

On 7/1/2020 at 6:39 PM, daffy said:

Have your parents dress you in the minivan.  🙃

Archived