My Quickie Mask Paint Job

IPv6Freely

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@IPv6Freely - sincerely well done! 

This is a great example of how a few hours and some patience with tape can make a killer gear upgrade!!! 

Been debating trying a home make remedy for my CCM paint chip. Taking the next step and trying something like this could be fun

please keep us posted with pics of how the paint holds up after its 90 mins of fame 

I don't know much about painting masks, but I do know a lot about mapping 2D images across spherical 3D surfaces. For that vinyl I imagine you'd need to make some cuts in it to avoid the wrinkles and creases. Otherwise you're going to need to have stuff stretch out (not sure how stretch the vinyl material is)

Maybe have an exacto-knife handy, and make some small incisions where the vinyl would need to crease otherwise. 

Cool paintjob though. Really dig the logo. 

24 minutes ago, Imperative said:

Looks good, I was going to vote for the white cat eye but the blue looks good.

It was white or blue, but just didn’t feel like pulling apart my primary mask for the white one. Cages are a bitch to install on a Fit 1 because the cage is so wide (same cage goes on all three size masks). 

I also figured not everyone has a blue cage kicking around so I figured it made sense to use it.

6 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

It was white or blue, but just didn’t feel like pulling apart my primary mask for the white one. Cages are a bitch to install on a Fit 1 because the cage is so wide (same cage goes on all three size masks). 

I also figured not everyone has a blue cage kicking around so I figured it made sense to use it.

good call, yeah a fit one would be tough to fit it on the mask

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I think that came out sick.  Nice work.

Thanks man!!

10 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

Good enough for 90 minutes!

Keep working on this stuff- you have potential.

Thanks! I’m hoping to have an airbrush setup soonish. I really enjoyed doing this.

23 hours ago, IPv6Freely said:

Thanks man!!

Thanks! I’m hoping to have an airbrush setup soonish. I really enjoyed doing this.

Everybody I know who started airbrushing has become thoroughly addicted to it! I would, but I am afraid that what little time I have left would be spent ONLY airbrushing!

Can’t wait to see what you brew up!

17 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Everybody I know who started airbrushing has become thoroughly addicted to it! I would, but I am afraid that what little time I have left would be spent ONLY airbrushing!

Can’t wait to see what you brew up!

The only thing that's really stopping me at this point is I'm not sure what I should buy. A nice middle ground between price and quality/features for both the airbrush itself and the compressor would be helpful. Also what paints would be good to start with. I think I already have an airbrushing thread started somewhere, though... 

9 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

The only thing that's really stopping me at this point is I'm not sure what I should buy. A nice middle ground between price and quality/features for both the airbrush itself and the compressor would be helpful. Also what paints would be good to start with. I think I already have an airbrushing thread started somewhere, though... 

The blokes I know say to spend the $$$ on the airbrush and you can skimp a bit on the compressor, but I would confirm with @parebele on that; he may feel differently.

There are many good starter airbrush kits out there that are reasonably priced. Iwata Eclipse is a good one. They usually come with the airbrush, hose, connectors, jars etc. Kijiji (if in Canada) is a great place to find starter airbrushing stuff. I'm a fan of Iwata airbrushes, but started off with Paashe. Badger airbrushes are also very good.

Any compressor will work. If you can find one on sale at Home Depot or Lowes they work just fine and are almost always cheaper than the 'airbrush' specific ones. They are a bit more noisy but if you get a compressor with an air tank, then it's quieter as it only runs to fill up the tank and then shuts itself off. 

As far as paints go, I would start with basic T-shirt paint like Createx. They're very inexpensive and great to practice with as you can spray them on paper, cardboard, old t-shirts, pretty much anything. For helmets and masks, I would use Createx Auto-Air, which is a lot safer than using automotive urethanes like House of Kolor (which is what I use, along with Basf). And for clear coating: don't do it. That stuff is poison. Pay your local body shop to do it as they have the proper respiratory equipment to do it safely.

35 minutes ago, parebele said:

There are many good starter airbrush kits out there that are reasonably priced. Iwata Eclipse is a good one. They usually come with the airbrush, hose, connectors, jars etc. Kijiji (if in Canada) is a great place to find starter airbrushing stuff. I'm a fan of Iwata airbrushes, but started off with Paashe. Badger airbrushes are also very good.

Any compressor will work. If you can find one on sale at Home Depot or Lowes they work just fine and are almost always cheaper than the 'airbrush' specific ones. They are a bit more noisy but if you get a compressor with an air tank, then it's quieter as it only runs to fill up the tank and then shuts itself off. 

As far as paints go, I would start with basic T-shirt paint like Createx. They're very inexpensive and great to practice with as you can spray them on paper, cardboard, old t-shirts, pretty much anything. For helmets and masks, I would use Createx Auto-Air, which is a lot safer than using automotive urethanes like House of Kolor (which is what I use, along with Basf). And for clear coating: don't do it. That stuff is poison. Pay your local body shop to do it as they have the proper respiratory equipment to do it safely.

Thank you, that actually helps a lot! Why do you recommend Createx Auto-Air if you personally use House of Kolor? Just because that's what you're most familiar with? I assume Auto-Air is water-based which makes me wonder... does that make it safe to use indoors? I have a spare bedroom that I could set up for painting. 

I'm looking at this kit right now: http://www.tcpglobal.com/ABD-KIT-4207-T.html 

29 minutes ago, IPv6Freely said:

Thank you, that actually helps a lot! Why do you recommend Createx Auto-Air if you personally use House of Kolor? Just because that's what you're most familiar with? I assume Auto-Air is water-based which makes me wonder... does that make it safe to use indoors? I have a spare bedroom that I could set up for painting. 

I can answer that: water-bourne paints don’t gas like HOK would and is likely less expensive to start off with. But @parebele could explain much more eloquently. 

@bunnyman666 is right. Water-bourne paints dry by air flow over them, while solvent paints dry by evaporation. And they are less expensive. More importantly though, auto paint is toxic and flammable. My table top spray booth is made for flammable substances so there's no risk of explosion and it vents directly outside. Auto-air is safe for indoor use, but you still need the room to be well-ventilated. I used to have a fan in a window and that did the trick. Always wear a good respirator. Even though it's in water-based paint, cadmium is still cadmium, a liver toxin. I never spray clearcoat at home. Only at work, in a booth, wearing an air-supplied respirator. 

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

That kit looks good. I don't know about the compressor, but the airbrush is great. I use an older model of that for larger background areas and such, but it has a larger needle than that one. That one is a good all-around workhorse. 

Archived