My Quickie Mask Paint Job

IPv6Freely

13 minutes ago, parebele said:

That kit looks good. I don't know about the compressor, but the airbrush is great. I use an older model of that for larger background areas and such, but it has a larger needle than that one. That one is a good all-around workhorse. 

Perfect, thank you. I think I'll get the airbrush and look around for compressors with tanks. Is the water trap filter critical (a must-have when pricing out options)? 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, parebele said:

@bunnyman666 is right. Water-bourne paints dry by air flow over them, while solvent paints dry by evaporation. And they are less expensive. More importantly though, auto paint is toxic and flammable. My table top spray booth is made for flammable substances so there's no risk of explosion and it vents directly outside. Auto-air is safe for indoor use, but you still need the room to be well-ventilated. I used to have a fan in a window and that did the trick. Always wear a good respirator. Even though it's in water-based paint, cadmium is still cadmium, a liver toxin. I never spray clearcoat at home. Only at work, in a booth, wearing an air-supplied respirator. 

I sprayed clear coat without a respirator and I’m okay...

8D7B9B29-204B-4CE2-9E94-814506D43FCC.jpeg

1 hour ago, IPv6Freely said:

Perfect, thank you. I think I'll get the airbrush and look around for compressors with tanks. Is the water trap filter critical (a must-have when pricing out options)? 

They're very inexpensive. I use the Paasche filter on my airlines. Not sure how long they last but I've had one for 20something years and it's fine. Although I've never had a problem with moisture in my paint. As long as you empty the tank(s) of air when your done moisture shouldn't build up. And if it's indoors, humidity shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Archived