580 vs 590

May be the wrong had for me, but crazy excited to test out a real, original 580 that my goalie coach lent me to try on the ball machine. I tried closing it and it honestly feels like a 590 to me but he says you really feel the difference when actual catching something. Can’t wait to try it out!!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

The 580 and 590 offer different feels and pocket orientation with respect to hand position. Notice how the 580 gives more vertical coverage than the 590, and despite appearing to be an old spec glove from before the sizing regulations that we use today, this is still true with the current spec of 580's. Because of this, the motion that is used to close the glove resembles a "thumbs up" with your fingers flat on your palm.  I have been using this style of glove for almost 6 years now and found early on that it trivializes shots that are directed just over the leg pad (i.e. low glove one timers). 

The 590, on the other hand (get it?) offers more lateral coverage with respect to the orientation of the pocket. In theory, you could achieve more vertical coverage with the glove by utilizing the "fingers up" orientation of holding your glove. There is a potential issue of covering space in places where pucks won't go anywhere near the net (like above the crossbar). This is what I used when I was using my Vaughn T7600 back in my early days. 

I think glove position determines which style glove you use, but at the end of the day, they are two different ways to achieve the same task: catching the puck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

To further @bildeer... and simply for the sake of offering my own experience as it's already summed up well... I've tried other break angles but 580 just feels right on my hand AND the pocket placement it part of my muscle memory. Certainly something that could be relearned given enough reps, but playing beer league now there's no hope of ever getting that much practice time in. My 2X Pro glove (590ish break) just had the pocket push outward and down from where I was used to. So silly as this may sound I actually had complete misses because my pocket wasn't where I expected it to be given my hand positioning; up higher and closer to my body. Again this could be changed up with hand positioning and enough reps to get 580 out of my mind (which at my age would be 10,000+.) Certainly worth trying as everything old becomes new again.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...