Small goalie needing help finding C/A unit

12 minutes ago, Johnny Grey Jr said:

I was advised to either wear my C/A everyday to break it in, or even take a hot shower with it to break it in faster....

What did y'all(yeah I said y'all) do to break yours in? And the glove, holy crap I can't get this thing to crease on my palm. I have an int/pro rbk lefevre blocker and trapper I bought used that fit my tiny hands perfectly and are perfectly broken in from its previous owner. It snaps open and closed with ease and I keep opening and closing my passau trapper over and over for over 2 months and it's still as stiff as the day I got it. I can press it all the way open but then when I close it, I can't get out back open without pressing it against my blocker or pant leg. I could always get a stronger grip, but what do I do? Hand in a bucket of rice? Hand/grip squeeze thingamabob?

I do stick my kids plastic bowling ball in the webbing and tie it shut with a skate lace when not in use.

IMO you need two things to break in gear, moisture and heat.  You can do that by wearing and using the gear, or you can expedite the process by simulating it with steam.

For the chesty, I wouldn't go as far as wearing it in the shower as it'll get soaked and take forever to dry out - the nylon used in these things is not exactly water resistant/repellent.  I take skate lace to tie the arms flexed, then hang it up in the smallest bathroom with a shower in my house.  Let the shower run on hot so some steam builds up on/in it and repeat for a few days.

For gloves your goal is to work in that crease/break in the palm where it folds.  This area is made up of foam, felt, and glue that needs to be worked in. 
My local shop has a baseball glove steamer and a skate bake oven that I will run them through before first use.  There's several other methods - like running hot water through it, or leaving a towel soaked in hot water on it that essentially mimic the same thing.

To get the glove to open up, I'm guessing you keep it tied shut when you're not using it, and it's "remembering" that shape because the break is still relatively new.
I think you'll have to manually work it open when you're not using it.  Put the backhand on your knee and jam it so it's "over-open" with your hands manually, like you're opening a really big bag of chips. 

On 6/19/2021 at 11:34 AM, Chenner29 said:

IMO you need two things to break in gear, moisture and heat.  You can do that by wearing and using the gear, or you can expedite the process by simulating it with steam.

For the chesty, I wouldn't go as far as wearing it in the shower as it'll get soaked and take forever to dry out - the nylon used in these things is not exactly water resistant/repellent.  I take skate lace to tie the arms flexed, then hang it up in the smallest bathroom with a shower in my house.  Let the shower run on hot so some steam builds up on/in it and repeat for a few days.

For gloves your goal is to work in that crease/break in the palm where it folds.  This area is made up of foam, felt, and glue that needs to be worked in. 
My local shop has a baseball glove steamer and a skate bake oven that I will run them through before first use.  There's several other methods - like running hot water through it, or leaving a towel soaked in hot water on it that essentially mimic the same thing.

To get the glove to open up, I'm guessing you keep it tied shut when you're not using it, and it's "remembering" that shape because the break is still relatively new.
I think you'll have to manually work it open when you're not using it.  Put the backhand on your knee and jam it so it's "over-open" with your hands manually, like you're opening a really big bag of chips. 

For gloves, I've found that one of those portable garment steamers works really well. (e.g. https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/home-garden/3737831)

I put it in the sink to keep it upright and have the steam vent going into the cuff opening of the glove, then cover the whole setup with a towel to keep the steam in. A couple 15-minute rounds of that, then tie up the glove closed overnight. Repeat for a few days and my gloves are all broken in easily.

On 6/19/2021 at 9:34 AM, Chenner29 said:

For the chesty, I wouldn't go as far as wearing it in the shower as it'll get soaked and take forever to dry out - the nylon used in these things is not exactly water resistant/repellent.  I

Remember back on GSBB when guys swore up and down that swimming in your pool with your gear on was the best way to clean it?

• Like 2

@Johnny Grey Jr Here's some more pics of the soft-sided, sticky-backed, back-to-back Velcro.  I would do this on any chesty where hard Velcro is exposed and can do damage to surrounding components.

Here you're looking at the outside of the left arm:

20210623_215743_HDR.thumb.jpg.8768871362a7f416ff0eb379f4595297.jpg

Here it is with the added Velcro removed, laying on top, exposing the hard Velcro on the unit where the elbow cup elastic doesn't cover.  It could if I pulled it tighter, but my elbows are adjusted where I like it.  I may be incorrect here, but it's possible I had this twice as wide of exposed Velcro when the chesty was newer many years ago, and I've tightened it down some since:

20210623_215815.thumb.jpg.0dab245ef555d44d0a48e986f898b8b7.jpg

And here's a close-up reinstalled:

20210623_215848.thumb.jpg.0d9c8b973357516c68a6f5503654bce0.jpg

I can pretty much guarantee that the elbow elastic and nylon binding would be shredded after a decade.

There's 4 spots to do this on between both arms but upon further review of mine I have it double wide on the inside of the elbow and nothing on the lower wrist side, so basically I've done the outer tops only it seems.  It's been awhile since I originally did this:

16245053965248757948092552332342.thumb.jpg.735ba2e5363ecf2d932540ddeafaacae.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/26/2021 at 4:25 PM, Johnny Grey Jr said:

To start off, I play in all 3 leagues where I live, from A-C, Primarily in A league and subbing for the others as needed.

I first got the Warrior RG5 senior plus, but it was too cumbersome and I could not really move in it. I couldn't even reach to take my mask off.
I returned that and got the Baur Supreme S29 after being told it would be slimmer and shorter, and It was quite the opposite, longer in the arms and taller overall.

I work for a living and cannot afford to just get an intermediate just for the right sizing if the padding will not hold up to the higher caliber playing style. I may have to just call it for this year and wait another year to afford a custom built one for my body. But what makes me more puzzled is the fact that in 2014 I bought a Warrior RG2 and it was a medium and yet it was just a tad bit too big for me, now all the smalls that I have tried are too big/long...

Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

maybe try boddam. they used to make the simmons c/a a few years ago. 380 cad i think