Packing your bag

I wouldn’t worry what a clown like that thinks about you. 

Anyway I took my pads out of my bag to try out carrying them separately when I walked from the rink back out to the car. Don’t know how you guys do it. Hated it. Do you put them on the opposite shoulder than your bag, the same shoulder or do you carry them in your hands? None of those ways seemed beneficial or possible to me. Wheel bag doesn’t really work for me anyway because we have a million steps leading into and in our house. They tend to fall apart, too. The backpack option seems intriguing to me. 

@bunnyman666 For all the joking around about wheel bags, the only comment I ever got when I used my tower bag was "that's a pretty big bag eh? And it holds everything?" But I'm also in Canada, so maybe that was the polite chirping equivalent  :P

@WillyGrips13 I've been using the backpack bag for a couple months now because of stairs as well, it's a pretty good bag. Still a little awkward to get up off the ground and onto your back if you don't have like a bench or something to start it off on. But it holds everything, including XL pants, L c/a, 35" pads and zips up comfortably. Just don't stand around chatting after a game with it on your back haha

22 minutes ago, Mroy31 said:

@bunnyman666 For all the joking around about wheel bags, the only comment I ever got when I used my tower bag was "that's a pretty big bag eh? And it holds everything?" But I'm also in Canada, so maybe that was the polite chirping equivalent  :P

@WillyGrips13 I've been using the backpack bag for a couple months now because of stairs as well, it's a pretty good bag. Still a little awkward to get up off the ground and onto your back if you don't have like a bench or something to start it off on. But it holds everything, including XL pants, L c/a, 35" pads and zips up comfortably. Just don't stand around chatting after a game with it on your back haha

I used to wheel, but as noted- wheeled bags tend to not be durable. 

I was only chirped until they saw I was the goalie. 

It’s just going to take awhile to build my strength back up before I can shoulder a bag. After all- I lost 40# from this illness. 

17 minutes ago, Punisher Goalie said:

I can’t understand why anyone would chirp a goalie for having a wheeled bag. Only comments I’ve ever gotten about my Grit sumo are “wow cool do they make a player version?” and “where did you buy that?”.

It’s the young and fit who have not dealt with medical issues that cause problems with shouldering a bag that chirp, mostly. I will shoulder a bag when I have sufficiently healed. But until then- I will proudly wheel a bag. 

Please note that I am not going to be super-sensitive about wheeling a bag as I will joke along and even have a comeback if I choose. You are dealing with the man who wears Pooper pads, after all!

Edited by bunnyman666

24 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Omg guys take a joke.  No one really cares about your wheel bags.  Its the fact that you all get so offended by it that makes it funny.  I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I am dragging around a wheel bag as well.  

Part of me is missing, which is why I will be wheeling. 

I will be fine with good-natured chirping!

• 2 months later...

Does anyone have experience with the True SR Pro Goalie bag? It looks like good quality. Though I don't think it has ventilation or pockets inside for tape, etc.

My old wheeled 2011 Warrior Messiah bag is falling apart. The wheels are folding outwards and there is a pretty big hole in the bag, so I'll need an upgrade. 

true_2017_pro_bag_player_goal_coach_01_7

Also looking at the Warrior Covert SR Wheeled Goalie bag if I want to stick with the wheels:

warrior_2015_covert_goal_wheel_bag_new_d

On 8/4/2018 at 7:15 PM, creasecollector said:

Does anyone have experience with the True SR Pro Goalie bag? It looks like good quality. Though I don't think it has ventilation or pockets inside for tape, etc.

My old wheeled 2011 Warrior Messiah bag is falling apart. The wheels are folding outwards and there is a pretty big hole in the bag, so I'll need an upgrade. 

true_2017_pro_bag_player_goal_coach_01_7

Also looking at the Warrior Covert SR Wheeled Goalie bag if I want to stick with the wheels:

warrior_2015_covert_goal_wheel_bag_new_d

I’ve seen the True bag up close and it is very similar to the Warrior bags. I wouldn’t be surprised if True and Warrior contracted the work out to the same company (I’d suspect JRZ). 

I liked the Warrior bag over the True as it had vents. My main complaint was that it doesn’t have enough pockets for all my knick knacks (tape, stones, steel). 

I moved on to a Passau backpack bag, but will be probably shedding it soon.  It seems like every month something on it breaks and I’m stitching it back together. 

• Like 2

Anyone needing a "forever bag" and willing to spend a little coin, try the John Brown bags. Super heavy duty sterling material (is thicker than the Sterling material that my old Brian's bag was made out of). I use the 2200 which is a tall and skinny bag, perfect for walking through doorways. It is large enough to hold some 33+2" pads. The handles are riveted and stitched which is a nice touch. People in skates have stepped on my bag many times and I have yet to see a cut (knocks on wood)

Edited by Taco

On 8/6/2018 at 6:55 PM, IPv6Freely said:

Happy to report that my GRIT bag survived multiple flights recently. Wasn't sure how the internal structure would hold up but it was fine. Having it hold my pads and sticks too while rolling through the airport was a lifesaver!

I'd like to take your sensibility and wise reasons for a nice wheeled bag and load them onto a plane to the moon.

Yeah, a moon plane.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Taco said:

Anyone needing a "forever bag" and willing to spend a little coin, try the John Brown bags. Super heavy duty sterling material (is thicker than the Sterling material that my old Brian's bag was made out of). I use the 2200 which is a tall and skinny bag, perfect for walking through doorways. It is large enough to hold some 33+2" pads. The handles are riveted and stitched which is a nice touch. People in skates have stepped on my bag many times and I have yet to see a cut (knocks on wood)

One benefit to using a royal blue bag (it was on clearance), is that it's easier to see and avoid while walking through the lockeroom in skates.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MTH said:

One benefit to using a royal blue bag (it was on clearance), is that it's easier to see and avoid while walking through the lockeroom in skates.

Indeed...it is a little late now. I believe I asked for a green one, but he didn't have the material in that color. Also, JB has expensive upcharge for colors for some reason which is quite annoying.

On 8/6/2018 at 11:48 PM, Chenner29 said:

I’ve seen the True bag up close and it is very similar to the Warrior bags. I wouldn’t be surprised if True and Warrior contracted the work out to the same company (I’d suspect JRZ). 

I liked the Warrior bag over the True as it had vents. My main complaint was that it doesn’t have enough pockets for all my knick knacks (tape, stones, steel). 

I moved on to a Passau backpack bag, but will be probably shedding it soon.  It seems like every month something on it breaks and I’m stitching it back together. 

Would you go back to a Warrior bag or you're not sure yet? I've heard good things about the Passau backpack bag. Shame to hear about the durability issues you're experiencing. I'm only 25, but i've had horrible back issue in the past, so I'm not sure if a backpack goalie bag is good for me, otherwise I would consider it. 

Probably going with the Warrior wheeled I posted above for my next bag. Unless the True has a crazy amount of room that I can use to carry my pads in )I currently just carry my pads over my shoulder. For those that carry their pads in their bag, does your pads warp or lose it's shape after awhile in the bag. Might be a silly question, but that's one issue I'm thinking about if I have to stuff my pads into a tight fitting bag.