Outdoor Games -- What to wear?

stackem30

3 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

There is rumor that I will get to have two outdoor tournaments this year. One in Illinois for my travel team and the other in the Cotton Bowl (yes the winter classic one) for my high school team. I don’t expect I’ll need any extra gear for the cotton bowl but I might wear a second pair of base layer pants for Illinois. @seagoal how did you secure the toque to your helmet

I haven't yet. In those pics it's just precariously on the top.  I will probably just use extra strength sewing twine.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/3/2019 at 12:29 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

I used zip ties last Christmas but was just interested to hear what others used

Reviving this thread because my outdoor games are this coming weekend.

Here's the weather forecast so it looks like I won't have to worry about being too cold.

image.png.bf392869356e806b422bc2cc455eb17b.png

That said, @ThatCarGuy did you find you secured your toque on pretty well and it stayed put?

How many different ties did you use and where were they on your mask?

I won't be needing one for warmth or snow, but come on....I have to use one, right?

I'm going to figure mine out tonight.  Any suggestions from anyone would be much appreciated. 

20190425_215918.jpg

20190425_172408.jpg

20190425_172638.jpg

Edited by seagoal

5 hours ago, seagoal said:

That said, @ThatCarGuy did you find you secured your toque on pretty well and it stayed put?

How many different ties did you use and where were they on your mask?

They secured it without any issue. I used 3 zip ties but you may want 4 due to cage bar placement. I used 1 between center bars of my cage and put the other two through the holes for the top straps. I use a Bauer mask. Depending how you want the toque to sit you can zip tie placement. Ex: through the ear holes for a lower back.

Image result for winter classic goalie

Here it looks like the top ear holes are used.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

They secured it without any issue. I used 3 zip ties but you may want 4 due to cage bar placement. I used 1 between center bars of my cage and put the other two through the holes for the top straps. I use a Bauer mask. Depending how you want the toque to sit you can zip tie placement. Ex: through the ear holes for a lower back.

Image result for winter classic goalie

Here it looks like the top ear holes are used.

Awesome,  thanks man.

I'm working on it right now using dental floss for thread.

20191106_194417.jpg

20191106_194427.jpg

20191106_194436.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 10/3/2019 at 12:55 AM, WillyGrips13 said:

My suggestions from earlier in the thread are still appropriate. I would stress that you won’t have to do anything different from your indoor hockey so long as the “feels like” temperature stays above 15-20* F. Be aware of the wind, that’s what is going to be a problem for you, probably when the knit hat and gloves will come into play. I highly recommend the toe warmers with the adhesive. 

Question regarding hand/toe warmers.  My skates have thermo-moldable footbeds.  I am going to assume they don't get warm enough to ruin the mold, correct?  Should I put them on top of my toes just in case?

4 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Question regarding hand/toe warmers.  My skates have thermo-moldable footbeds.  I am going to assume they don't get warm enough to ruin the mold, correct?  Should I put them on top of my toes just in case?

I used hand warmers in my gloves this past outdoor tournament and my experience with them, I'd think not. 

It kinda reminded me of holding a cup of coffee in a paper cup.  Not hot, just warm.  

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I really don’t know. I have standard footbeds. I did put the warmers under my toes. The warmers stay warm enough that I’d transfer them into my boots for when we would hang out in the parking lot afterwards to drink 🍺.

Had fun but the game itself turned out to be a waste of time.  The DC team brought up 7 guys and a skater.  Almost half of their team was guys from my team filling in.  3 months notice and this is what they come with.  They were a shitshow when we went down to DC to play them too.  Meh, whatever, it was still awesome playing outside.  Smelling the smoke from the fireplace in the clubhouse reminded me of playing in my neighbor's ODR when we were kids.  The snow accumulating from skating on the ice blowing around with the light breeze was a great touch.  The sound of our blades cutting through the ice sounds different from rink ice.  Good times.

I play outdoors every Sunday from November to March. My challenges are:

1) my toes getting cold no matter if I use foot warmers or not, especially is the temps are below 20F

2) nose runs like a freaking faucet

3) my hands also freeze

The toque is a nice touch. I may do that, even if there is no function.

49 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I play outdoors every Sunday from November to March. My challenges are:

1) my toes getting cold no matter if I use foot warmers or not, especially is the temps are below 20F

2) nose runs like a freaking faucet

3) my hands also freeze

The toque is a nice touch. I may do that, even if there is no function.

We had pretty decent conditions.  It was around 20*.  Very light breeze.  I wore my normal get up but added to warmers in my skates and I wore a balaclava under my mask.  I probably could have done without that and been fine.  Even my feet were fine.  I didn't even really notice the warmers.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

We had pretty decent conditions.  It was around 20*.  Very light breeze.  I wore my normal get up but added to warmers in my skates and I wore a balaclava under my mask.  I probably could have done without that and been fine.  Even my feet were fine.  I didn't even really notice the warmers.

Good onya. 

I have played this skate for two seasons and can’t figure out the secret LOL

• Like 1

On 2/5/2022 at 8:32 AM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I think the molding heat is around 180-185 degrees F. Not that I ever baked skates in my kitchen stove...

All the hand warmers I ever measured with the laser thermometer are between 120-130 degrees F.

Edited by MTH