Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

11 minutes ago, motowngoalie said:

A nice pile of gear at the Red Wings equipment sale on Saturday. Prices were a bit exorbitant though, $500 for a Calvin Pickard blocker? No thanks. No real strategy with it though, Bernier's True pads were only $700. 

IMG_20210724_093838683_HDR.jpg

Did you buy the Trues? That's a great deal if they're in good shape. 

1 hour ago, motowngoalie said:

A nice pile of gear at the Red Wings equipment sale on Saturday. Prices were a bit exorbitant though, $500 for a Calvin Pickard blocker? No thanks. No real strategy with it though, Bernier's True pads were only $700. 

IMG_20210724_093838683_HDR.jpg

Does their gear stink like our gear?

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

Is anyone personal friends with a zamboni driver who works on the Facilities team at a rink?

I'm close with Dallas Stars ebug and manager of my local rink, Kenny Carroll (the guy who wore Mckenney his whole career and had his number retired by the mudbugs) but I don't think that's what you're looking for. 

Ken Carroll (arquero) - 06/07 - Bossier Shreveport Mudbugs | eBay

11 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I'm close with Dallas Stars ebug and manager of my local rink, Kenny Carroll (the guy who wore Mckenney his whole career and had his number retired by the mudbugs) but I don't think that's what you're looking for. 

Ken Carroll (arquero) - 06/07 - Bossier Shreveport Mudbugs | eBay

Not exactly,  but I do approve the Mudbugs reference as a native of Louisiana. 

I'm trying to get a sense of what $$ Facilities Crew people make a year.  There are openings at the Kraken practice facility and I'm intrigued by the possibility.

Just now, seagoal said:

Not exactly,  but I do approve the Mudbugs reference as a native of Louisiana. 

I'm trying to get a sense of what $$ Facilities Crew people make a year.  There are openings at the Kraken practice facility and I'm intrigued by the possibility.

I don’t think they do badly, of course there are many certifications one needs to have under their belt to do it in an NHL rink. 

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

I don’t think they do badly, of course there are many certifications one needs to have under their belt to do it in an NHL rink. 

Yes. The job posting in the actual arena here is quite restrictive based on experience and certifications, but not the postings for the practice facility.

Experience there is "preferred but not required." 

For the arena crew those guys are being flown in, for sure.

Edited by seagoal

Just now, seagoal said:

Yes. The job posting in the actual arena here is quite restrictive based on experience and certifications, but not the postings for the practice facility.

Experience there is "preferred but not required." 

Practise facility would probably help get you certifications to get into a big league rink. I have known guys who would relocate to work in an NHL city. Relocation would imply definitely okay money. I am thinking that it’s okay but not great money in the case of a practise facility. Check it out. The worse that happens is you either hear the money and walk or they interview you and say no. 

2 minutes ago, bunnyman666 said:

Practise facility would probably help get you certifications to get into a big league rink. I have known guys who would relocate to work in an NHL city. Relocation would imply definitely okay money. I am thinking that it’s okay but not great money in the case of a practise facility. Check it out. The worse that happens is you either hear the money and walk or they interview you and say no. 

For an NHL practice facility and full-time, would you guess it's :

A) 20-30k

B) 30-40k

C) 40-50k

D) 50k+

I was betting on C+, come on, jeez.

In all seriousness, there are couple things going on with me right now.  One, I am bored and restless at my job and feel in a rut.  It's fine, I like it, I'm good at it, it's comfortable, pays well, great benefits.  I'm just bored.  Two, I'm in a a big time, insatiable, obsessive hockey phase right now.  I can't consume enough hockey content right now, I want to play every single day, I'm going to stick n pucks and just sliding around like a crazy guy, I'm tinkering with my gear a lot, there's only so much I can obsess over Philipp Grubauer online, AND they are building hockey Disney Land right down the street from my damn house.   So of course, my brain is like "you should work there."  I can't stop thinking about it, regardless of what a financial or romantic (as in, it's probably way cooler an idea than a reality) disaster that might be.

The manager of the practice facility would likely make more; that would probably be a salaried position in the range of 40K, with some kind of benefits package. Everyone else would be be hourly workers making around minimum wage ($13.50 in Washington state).

42 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I was betting on C+, come on, jeez.

In all seriousness, there are couple things going on with me right now.  One, I am bored and restless at my job and feel in a rut.  It's fine, I like it, I'm good at it, it's comfortable, pays well, great benefits.  I'm just bored.  Two, I'm in a a big time, insatiable, obsessive hockey phase right now.  I can't consume enough hockey content right now, I want to play every single day, I'm going to stick n pucks and just sliding around like a crazy guy, I'm tinkering with my gear a lot, there's only so much I can obsess over Philipp Grubauer online, AND they are building hockey Disney Land right down the street from my damn house.   So of course, my brain is like "you should work there."  I can't stop thinking about it, regardless of what a financial or romantic (as in, it's probably way cooler an idea than a reality) disaster that might be.

Have you considered...

1. Working hockey retail to support your gear habit,
  2. Volunteering for the Kraken and seeing if you can exchange your time for discounted/free tickets, early access to gear sales, etc?  I know a few locals around me that do the same for the Ducks and Kings
  3. I was gonna troll you with a shirtless Grubauer pic but my 5 seconds of searching yielded 0 results so I'll quit here
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Have you considered...

1. Working hockey retail to support your gear habit,
  2. Volunteering for the Kraken and seeing if you can exchange your time for discounted/free tickets, early access to gear sales, etc?  I know a few locals around me that do the same for the Ducks and Kings
  3. I was gonna troll you with a shirtless Grubauer pic but my 5 seconds of searching yielded 0 results so I'll quit here

I appreciate the suggestions.  There are for sure some retail opportunities around here now and I considered it for a bit, even just PT. I think in the end retail is not really a good option for me at this point in my life.  I spent the majority of my teenage and adult life working face to face customer service and I've had my fill, for sure.

Volunteering is actually a really good idea and I hadn't considered that.  I'll have to look and see what they have to offer right now.  Things are quiet right now since the draft but in about a month or so it's going to ramp up full speed. Similar, I have thought a lot about coaching and I think that would be really good for me, really enjoyable, and definitely fulfill my drive to be near hockey more often.  I looked at USA Hockey coaching hockey requirements and and the Kraken Jr. hockey organization is going to be going full speed this fall/winter and onward. Lots of coaching opportunities for sure.

I just don't know about coaching as someone without a kid, myself, who plays.  I imagine most coaches are parents of players. I'd be of course most interested in working with goalies and I'm also not sure about that possibility.  I imagine 2 responses to a goalie coach: Really, why?  They need coaching?   -OR- THANK YOU yes, work with the goalies, GO!   I'll keep looking into this and volunteering in general, thanks for suggesting that.

Ha....the Grubauer thing was a slightly self-deprecating joke but I'm glad you went there, ha, nice work.  Seriously, I'm still so happy we got him.  As a goalie fan, that was about the best I could hope for in reality.  

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

I appreciate the suggestions.  There are for sure some retail opportunities around here now and I considered it for a bit, even just PT. I think in the end retail is not really a good option for me at this point in my life.  I spent the majority of my teenage and adult life working face to face customer service and I've had my fill, for sure.

Volunteering is actually a really good idea and I hadn't considered that.  I'll have to look and see what they have to offer right now.  Things are quiet right now since the draft but in about a month or so it's going to ramp up full speed. Similar, I have thought a lot about coaching and I think that would be really good for me, really enjoyable, and definitely fulfill my drive to be near hockey more often.  I looked at USA Hockey coaching hockey requirements and and the Kraken Jr. hockey organization is going to be going full speed this fall/winter and onward. Lots of coaching opportunities for sure.

I just don't know about coaching as someone without a kid, myself, who plays.  I imagine most coaches are parents of players. I'd be of course most interested in working with goalies and I'm also not sure about that possibility.  I imagine 2 responses to a goalie coach: Really, why?  They need coaching?   -OR- THANK YOU yes, work with the goalies, GO!   I'll keep looking into this and volunteering in general, thanks for suggesting that.

Ha....the Grubauer thing was a slightly self-deprecating joke but I'm glad you went there, ha, nice work.  Seriously, I'm still so happy we got him.  As a goalie fan, that was about the best I could hope for in reality.  

10-4 on that, agree retail is the worst.  I was picking up some random things from my local Monkey Sports the other day and a hockey dad was ripping into the CSRs because his son's 3 year old CCMs were fraying at the boot.  You could tell the kid abused the crap out of his gear based on the condition of the leg channel...

Coaching is going to need certification, I was thinking something more pedestrian like usher or concession stand.  Not sure what your professional background is in, but I'm sure you've got skills that are translatable to running and/or supporting a team.  On the other hand, goalie coaching sounds like it'd be a blast, there's a ton of great training resources and videos out there on social media.

I'm a goalie coach and I don't have a kid in any hockey program. The people I coach with don't have a kid in any program, except 1 out of 9 coaches. So that shouldn't be a limiting factor. If you have the know how, can communicate effectively with kids, then do it. In my experience, you'll always run into that one head coach who doesn't think that their goalie needs to be coached. Talk to the parents. No matter what the coach says, the parents have a say in their child's learning. So if they want you on the ice with their kid, there isn't shit the coach can do. But, on the other side, so so so many coaches are thankful to have someone out there to do what they can't/don't know how to do and this is what you'll run into far more often (again, speaking from my own  view).

I will say that as a volunteer myself for kid goalies and adults (players and goalies), I love it. I'm out there enjoying myself, having a good time, doing something that I truly love to do.

• Like 1

Seconded (or thirded)....you don't have to have a kid in the program to coach. In my kids program alot of the coaches were/are the dads because their isn't anybody else.

Regarding the practice rinks, the GM's/directors will be making your C/D+ options assuming they are coming in with the experience. The supporting roles (minions) will be your A/B at best. (Can't hurt to ask/apply anyways and find out)