Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

17 minutes ago, WillyGrips13 said:

I've tried to get several guys to look into these forums, starting with the GSBB. Especially those who were searching for  information about various equipment issues. It often seems like the idea of coming to these forums was a hassle to them. Their loss.

I honestly think the old-school bulletin board format of this and GSBB for some reason turns people away. The layout and usage is a bit archaic in regards to how the internet has evolved, however, I grew up on so many forums that utilized this style that using it is very intuitive.

You compare the ease of access, being able to read through conversations, and the ability to share stories/images on here, then you compare it to the absolute dog shit of a mess that is a Facebook group names GGSU.

Hell, even the hockey goalie subreddit isn't good either.

There's just nothing like this type of site. (thus my over participation)

• Like 4

2 hours ago, seagoal said:

Yep, that's right.  Quiet is the New Loud by KoC is my go-to album driving to hockey, especially if I'm amped up which means my heart rate and blood sugar are climbing. 

I'm on a 10,000 Maniacs kick right now though.

I've been rehashing some old 90's bands too lately (sadly hardly nobody makes decent music anymore). Was just deep-diving into Soul Asylum, was never really too into them before, but I managed to dig up and string together about 10 good tunes of theirs. For hockey, I only listen to Rhino Bucket or AC/DC. 

For the last 25 years, it's always this tune before playing. 

1 hour ago, estogoalie said:

That was my grandmothers favorite saying ("every cloud has a silver lining"). She was a WW2 refugee, left her home in Estonia in the middle of the night with my 4 year old father in one hand and a bag in the other. Never saw her home again. But she always looked on the bright side. 

It's so easy to look at all the things we don't have and complain and be depressed. But life's too short, you gotta look at what you do have and be grateful for that. There's always something good somewhere.

As hard as my life has been the last three years, I didn’t have to worry that the medication I could have been taking would have made me susceptible to Covid and that there are people FAR WORSE OFF than me. 

5 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I honestly think the old-school bulletin board format of this and GSBB for some reason turns people away. The layout and usage is a bit archaic in regards to how the internet has evolved, however, I grew up on so many forums that utilized this style that using it is very intuitive.

You compare the ease of access, being able to read through conversations, and the ability to share stories/images on here, then you compare it to the absolute dog shit of a mess that is a Facebook group names GGSU.

I think I first signed up at GSBB when I was 12 or 13, lived on there way too much. RIP

Edited by insertnamehere

8 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I agree, forums are great. 

21 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I honestly think the old-school

bulletin board format of this and GSBB for some reason turns people away. The layout and usage is a bit archaic in regards to how the internet has evolved, however, I grew up on so many forums that utilized this style that using it is very intuitive.

You compare the ease of access, being able to read through

conversations, and the ability to share stories/images on here, then you compare it to the absolute dog shit of a mess that is a Facebook group names GGSU.

All of this. I know I don't post/contribute a whole lot, but I'm on here every damn day reading through posts and taking in the information. The biggest thing that the GSBB did for me was to start tinkering with modding gear. I removed leather straps, made my own elastic boot strap,  learned how to re-lace my glove... 

I may not post much, but I definitely appreciate reading what you guys all share.

• Like 3

On 8/9/2021 at 9:16 PM, SaveByRichter35 said:

I am growing more more closer to calling it quits with my main team.  We played last night.  I did not wanna be there knowing the wife and kids were home having a movie night.  I played like I didn't wanna be there that's for sure lol

I'm catching up. But this is why I retired. Just wasn't the same playing anymore. I'd rather be home with my kids. Also the Sunday interference due to my lame-o game. My boys play stuff on Sundays plus I want to do some family stuff.

4:30 Men's league game on Sunday was like a prison sentence.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I may have figured out my how to make shoulder floaters as flat as possible. Yes, there will be a thread on it, soon. That is, if it works.

Garth Snow in a Garth Snow hat with Garth Snow jerseys doing Garth Snow  things at a Garth Snow party.: NewYorkIslanders

Garth Snow approves!

Garth Snow in a Garth Snow hat with Garth Snow jerseys doing Garth Snow  things at a Garth Snow party.: NewYorkIslanders

Shoulder floaters? Oh yeah, I forgot.

Edited by MTH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 8/11/2021 at 9:39 PM, insertnamehere said:

I think I first signed up at GSBB when I was 12 or 13, lived on there way too much. RIP

RIP indeed.

I don't use MySpace, Facebook or any other social media. So GSBB was my daily fix of news and the like.

I was addicted to the comments on every news article for the Philly newspapers online. There are some funny and creative readers that would post. Amazing stuff! Sadly, they nixed the comments.

On 8/11/2021 at 1:05 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

Hehehe

GGSU is silly and IMO is becoming a "for profit" group with the camps.  There was some drama a couple years ago about the raffle and one of the mods pocketing money from it

r/hockeygoalies is a dumpster fire.  I swear every third thread in that Reddit sub is a question about what masks are good or how to relace a glove.  The rest is guys trying to carve out a social media following for themselves on Youtube, basically a goalie version of OnlyFans

5 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Hehehe

GGSU is silly and IMO is becoming a "for profit" group with the camps.  There was some drama a couple years ago about the raffle and one of the mods pocketing money from it

r/hockeygoalies is a dumpster fire.  I swear every third thread in that Reddit sub is a question about what masks are good or how to relace a glove.  The rest is guys trying to carve out a social media following for themselves on Youtube, basically a goalie version of OnlyFans

I remember hearing about some drama in GGSU when Garret Sparks was a mod. Can't remember the details, but I was definitely amused by it at the time.

And you nailed it about r/hockeygoalies. It's not a very good source of expertise and a a dumping ground for Hills' youtube channel.

4 hours ago, seagoal said:

A guy in my league/division won a free custom set from Brian's off of GGSU.  Really nice guy, very good goalie, and he got an awesome looking set.  I have zero experience with that site though because I am not on Facebook.

So basically, if I sell my soul to Facebook, I could get a free custom set from Brian’s…? 
No deal; a man has to have SOME limits. And I have been Facebook free forever. Don’t want to throw that away at this point.

2 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

So basically, if I sell my soul to Facebook, I could get a free custom set from Brian’s…? 
No deal; a man has to have SOME limits. And I have been Facebook free forever. Don’t want to throw that away at this point.

You and 36,000 other members.

So a 0.00003% chance.

Edited by coopaloop1234

On 8/12/2021 at 1:09 PM, holdUP said:

All of this. I know I don't post/contribute a whole lot, but I'm on here every damn day reading through posts and taking in the information. The biggest thing that the GSBB did for me was to start tinkering with modding gear. I removed leather straps, made my own elastic boot strap,  learned how to re-lace my glove... 

I may not post much, but I definitely appreciate reading what you guys all share.

I loved the old modding forum, even going back to it when the GSBB site wasn't as active anymore. Just scrolling through it was really fun.

There is a RIP GSBB Facebook group that gets bumped every now and again.  Whenever it does I post a link to this site so they have somewhere to go and we get someone new to join.  Win win for everyone.  

Just to catch up on conversation a few pages back...as a mod I feel obligated to look over literally every thread that gets bumped.  I always base my browsing from the "Unread Content" link.  Like others have said, if its a topic that doesn't interest me I may not actively engage in the conversation and actually read it but I skim through everything.  Topics  I have in which I have an interest I will read everything and contribute.  

I've taken lots of things away from these boards over the years.  Pro Laces and no heel strap among them as well.  Proper fitting masks and skates, custom options on various kinds of gear.  Shit, the reason I even found the GSBB in the first place was because I googled "How to tie toe ties" when I bought a new set of Bauer one95 pads that I bought upon getting out of the Marine Corps and jumping back into hockey.  Up until that point I had never used them.  Everything is history from there lol.

I agree that I feel boards are way easier to navigate.  Cesspools like GGSU might be easier to access but its impossible to find information.  There is so much crap on there.

• Like 1