Jump to content

Daily Chit-chat


seagoal
 Share

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, seagoal said:

Ha, I don't eat pizza crust so no dipping it for me.  As a type-1 diabetic, pizza (and beer, always with beer) in general is rough on my blood sugar and the crust, for me, is just more carbs that don't taste that good.  So I always avoid the crust.  

I'm weird, I know. 

So it's atleast two of us then.

Edited by ArdeFIN
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

So it's atleast two of us then.

Nice, good to know.  Thanks for sharing that.  Man, we should make a thread on here. I made one a long time ago on GSBB and a lot has changed for me, for the better, since then.

Are you using a continuous monitor?  I started mine about 3 or 4 years ago.  MASSIVE improvements overall and especially while playing hockey.  When playing, my teammates will yell my blood sugar # to me from the bench, where my iPod display is.  I recently got a little pouch with padding that I can clip to the top of the net where my water bottle is, but I haven't tried it yet. 

10 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Wow - so I know about Max Domi, and Bobby Clarke years earlier, but have there been any T1D goalies in the Big Show…?

Matt Dumba and Kaapo Kahkonen are t1d too. I think there are 4 in the NHL....no keepers. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Friday, and Habs-Jets game 2: pizza and beer FTW!

For those who may be interested, I’m also a hard NO on pineapple on pizza. Also a purist when it comes to sauce; no pesto, or BBQ, or bechamel nonsense. But bacon, pepperoni, olives, onions, mushrooms and green peppers? Hellz yeah!
 

image.jpg

image.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Go to GoalieMonkey and put 2 sticks in the shopping cart and see how much the shipping charges will be. Should be the same cost for you roughly. IIRC 2 sticks will probably cost around 20-30$ to ship.

Thanks.  Ship weight is 4 lbs for 2 sticks, just need to know the box dimensions.  My estimate was 20-40$, so good call. 

EDIT: 67x9x4.  Thank you GoalieMonkey instant chat.

 

Edited by seagoal
Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Thanks.  Ship weight is 4 lbs for 2 sticks, just need to know the box dimensions.  My estimate was 20-40$, so good call. 

EDIT: 67x9x4.  Thank you GoalieMonkey instant chat.

 

I've shipped sticks via USPS for about $30-40 for a pair.

Cut up some cardboard and fold it over the paddle and shaft, seal with tape.

You can also bubble wrap the blade and butt end for extra security, but probably not necessary

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

I've shipped sticks via USPS for about $30-40 for a pair.

Cut up some cardboard and fold it over the paddle and shaft, seal with tape.

You can also bubble wrap the blade and butt end for extra security, but probably not necessary

Thanks Chenner.  I got a UPS estimate of $40.08.  Spot on. I have a new box on the way to me so I'll just go ahead and use that and use the paper padding they send after taping the sticks together. 

By the way, I secured a new owner of those sticks, so feel free to close/delete that thread, please and thank you. 

They are going to a young goalie, I'm assuming a teenager, in North Dakota.  Hopefully, he'll remain a member on here and join our banter. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Friday, and Habs-Jets game 2: pizza and beer FTW!

For those who may be interested, I’m also a hard NO on pineapple on pizza. Also a purist when it comes to sauce; no pesto, or BBQ, or bechamel nonsense. But bacon, pepperoni, olives, onions, mushrooms and green peppers? Hellz yeah!
 

image.jpg

image.jpg

Think of pineapple pizza as just sweet pizza. Having parents from and tons of family in the Deep South has softened me so that sweeter is almost always better. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, seagoal said:

Any retail folks know off hand the shipping weight of a box with 2 goalie twigs and what the dimensions of a stick box are?  @ThatCarGuy @ULTIMA ?

I've recently bought some sticks off SLS and both sellers just wrapped them in bubble wrap and slapped a fragile sticker on them.  Both shipping prices, according to SLS, were around $10-12 but neither were from the PNW so there will most likely be some difference.  One was from FL and the other was somewhere in the Midwest.  MI or OH or IL, I forgot.  I can go back and double check for sure if you like.  And yes I am definitely interested in one of those sticks.  I'll PM you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, seagoal said:

Any retail folks know off hand the shipping weight of a box with 2 goalie twigs and what the dimensions of a stick box are?  @ThatCarGuy @ULTIMA ?

I’ll leave this to the people who actually know what they’re talking about haha. I started working only about a month or so ago and just work the retail floor. All the shipping stuff happens in the warehouse. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was all set to watch the Islanders n B's last night.. made tacos before the game and had salsa n chips for while watching it... fell asleep before 8 and woke up at 10:38 ☹. 

Getting up at 3am for a 5am to 1:30pm work schedule tends to do these things.  

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Scythe said:

I was all set to watch the Islanders n B's last night.. made tacos before the game and had salsa n chips for while watching it... fell asleep before 8 and woke up at 10:38 ☹. 

Getting up at 3am for a 5am to 1:30pm work schedule tends to do these things.  

I’m only giving a laugh reaction because I’ve been there! We’ve been letting my 9 year old stay up for the Habs games. One of the weeknight games in round 1, he’s wide awake, while pops fell asleep in the third. And it was an exciting series! I’m not on quite as early as you (respect!) but I’m up at 5:00 for work. If there’s a game I want to watch all of, I even have to pick my beers strategically- cus if I grab a few of the 8-9% DIPAs, I’m going to fall asleep before the first period ends! LOL!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just came back from a run; man is it ever humid out there … gross. But I’ve been doing runs on Sundays, stationary 1-2 times a week, and HIIT for several weeks now. I want to be physically ready (if technically unable) when the time finally comes.

Soon, boys. Soon…

 

3B12AD43-9398-4D91-BC13-BD106AD30B74.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2021 at 8:25 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

Think of pineapple pizza as just sweet pizza. Having parents from and tons of family in the Deep South has softened me so that sweeter is almost always better. 

You might be onto something there, brother - my wife bought these the other day, and they could be the best chips I’ve ever had (and that’s saying something, as there was a time in my life when I’d be eating a bag of chips a day 😳):

 

image.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/4/2021 at 10:49 PM, seagoal said:

Nice, good to know.  Thanks for sharing that.  Man, we should make a thread on here. I made one a long time ago on GSBB and a lot has changed for me, for the better, since then.

Are you using a continuous monitor?  I started mine about 3 or 4 years ago.  MASSIVE improvements overall and especially while playing hockey.  When playing, my teammates will yell my blood sugar # to me from the bench, where my iPod display is.  I recently got a little pouch with padding that I can clip to the top of the net where my water bottle is, but I haven't tried it yet. 

Matt Dumba and Kaapo Kahkonen Kakko are t1d too. I think there are 4 in the NHL....no keepers. 

Yes Libre 1. I only use the original reader so far, but have been planning for mobile phone. Just waiting to have it happen 🙈

I've only had 2 or 3 times I've fallen low while playing and a few times risen high. Highs do make me feel dizzy and slow but no other problem, the lows are far worse for playing.

I would believe it would be difficult to make into NHL or even any highest level league being a goalie with t1d. Just is too unpredictable and there's no time to recover when problem would occur.

Had to fix Kahkonen -> Kakko. Kahkonen is a goalie. 🙂 But I didn't actually now about Kakko being t1d. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Yes Libre 1. I only use the original reader so far, but have been planning for mobile phone. Just waiting to have it happen 🙈

I've only had 2 or 3 times I've fallen low while playing and a few times risen high. Highs do make me feel dizzy and slow but no other problem, the lows are far worse for playing.

I would believe it would be difficult to make into NHL or even any highest level league being a goalie with t1d. Just is too unpredictable and there's no time to recover when problem would occur.

Had to fix Kahkonen -> Kakko. Kahkonen is a goalie. 🙂 But I didn't actually now about Kakko being t1d. 

Good catch, sorry. I meant the kid on the Rangers who got picked #2.  So many Ps and Ks amongst the Finns...I mixed them up.  

My favorite Finns are in goal for Nashville :)

I've become sensitive to adrenalized states and with my continuous meter I can watch my blood sugar change in real time.  I always get a spike driving to the rink before playing, usually about 50-100 mg/dL.  I take a unit or 2 of insulin before hand I typically coast pretty level during games, occassionally going a bit high but rarely ever low.  I'm feeling optimal for hockey in the 85-110 range. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, seagoal said:

Good catch, sorry. I meant the kid on the Rangers who got picked #2.  So many Ps and Ks amongst the Finns...I mixed them up.  

My favorite Finns are in goal for Nashville :)

I've become sensitive to adrenalized states and with my continuous meter I can watch my blood sugar change in real time.  I always get a spike driving to the rink before playing, usually about 50-100 mg/dL.  I take a unit or 2 of insulin before hand I typically coast pretty level during games, occassionally going a bit high but rarely ever low.  I'm feeling optimal for hockey in the 85-110 range. 

Yeah we Finns are all Ps and Ks 😂

Peksi hasn't announced yet about his future. But I'd say his out of the big lights. Would be a good timing as Preds have good roster on goalies.

What metering system do you use? I've never heard of any such long distance device. Libre 1 is barely 10cm and NFC operated. Libre 2 is BT but range is still pretty short. Ofcourse you can add a device in between to send data futher away. But it get complicated at the same time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, ArdeFIN said:

Yeah we Finns are all Ps and Ks 😂

Peksi hasn't announced yet about his future. But I'd say his out of the big lights. Would be a good timing as Preds have good roster on goalies.

What metering system do you use? I've never heard of any such long distance device. Libre 1 is barely 10cm and NFC operated. Libre 2 is BT but range is still pretty short. Ofcourse you can add a device in between to send data futher away. But it get complicated at the same time.

I use the Medtronic Guardian Connect system which is the only one I have ever used.  The sensors last 7 days before needing replaced, it is Bluetooth connected, and it collects and plots a glucose reading every 5 minutes 24/7.  So that produces a lot of data and graphs that you can look at, like % of time in range for a day/week/month/3 months, % of time low, % of time high, etc.  I wear the sensor typcially right of my belly button or on my right tricep, which is a little better for being a hockey goalie.   I use an Android phone but I don't use it for this system because it is impossible to disable the Sleep function on my phone if it is unplugged and not charging, which does not work for playing hockey when I need it to be constantly displaying.  So, I use a cheap little iPod that I can disable the Sleep mode and have it always displaying. 

The Bluetooth range is stated as 10 feet.  For hockey , I position it on the bench as close to me as I can, typically on the shelf where the glass meets the boards. 1st and 3rd periods are fine, 2nd period it disconnects, but, this system is the only one that will populate collected readings back in time if disconnected so when I return to the bench after the 2nd period, it updates with the readings for the previous 20 minutes or so.  I have regular guys that I play with in league or my regular pick-up game who will skate over to me and tell me my current reading, which is great. 

Here's what it looks like You can see I have my daytime parameters set at 70-140 mg/dL and it will sound an alert if it goes outside that.  I disable alerts during hockey because it triggers a pop-up that needs to be swiped away and I don't want the disruption to the normal interface. 20210606_123546.thumb.jpg.f90bb510f5e531ff5a84f2897001b72f.jpg

I did get this pouch and added foam padding inside it with the intention of clipping it atop the net next to my water bottle in the corner, but I have yet to use it.  I'm not sure if the refs would even allow me to attach it to the net, I'd have to check with the GM.  I'm pretty sure I could get a medical exemption if that violates a rule, but not sure.  You can see the foams behind it, which would be underneath it if it were up on top the net.  The idea is that it would constantly be visible to me while playing and not involve my teammates at all plus, it would never disconnect.  We'll see if I start using it this upcoming summer season. 

20210527_175139.thumb.jpg.6b5c8a9d476147c32bfad674a5b3facf.jpg

I was in the process of custom designing this pouch before I found one online that was pretty spot on and it came with carabiner clips already.  The only thing is the one I found is a little big. The one I was designing was snug to fit my device.

20210520_181412.thumb.jpg.396b60e7dc233aae2f02b994d1b6f2bf.jpg

Anyway, in general having this technology has been a game changer in life but especially for hockey.  No more wondering where my numbers are on-ice, what last night's game did to my numbers, what was my number for that one game I played really well or really poorly. Now, I can see all that in real time and it has drastically improved my game because now I have data to show where I need to be to play my best and I can make adjustments in real time when I'm playing.  

Pretty awesome stuff. 

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Just came back from a run; man is it ever humid out there … gross. But I’ve been doing runs on Sundays, stationary 1-2 times a week, and HIIT for several weeks now. I want to be physically ready (if technically unable) when the time finally comes.

Soon, boys. Soon…

 

3B12AD43-9398-4D91-BC13-BD106AD30B74.jpeg

I just made the connection that we are now the red/black/white brothers.  Well....we will be in like 4 days :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I just made the connection that we are now the red/black/white brothers.  Well....we will be in like 4 days :)

Oh shit - I didn’t realize either! Between the old colour scheme, and the Kraken stuff, I just never think of red/black/white with you!

For me, living in Ottawa, the “in stock” is often Sens colours; I bought off the shelf stock for the SR gloves, so was committed. Hence the custom Gnetik IVs in those colours. On the plus side for me, it’s also Team Canada’s colours, so if I ever manage to get a goalie cut Team Canada jersey, I’ll be all set! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Oh shit - I didn’t realize either! Between the old colour scheme, and the Kraken stuff, I just never think of red/black/white with you!

For me, living in Ottawa, the “in stock” is often Sens colours; I bought off the shelf stock for the SR gloves, so was committed. Hence the custom Gnetik IVs in those colours. On the plus side for me, it’s also Team Canada’s colours, so if I ever manage to get a goalie cut Team Canada jersey, I’ll be all set! 

My baby/navy blue set is very Kraken-friendly.  I might have to rock it for ebug tryouts.   That reminds me, that greenish blue they use doesn't really exist in the goalie gear world.  I wonder if in that case whatever manufacturer their goalies use can get custom material colors for this one team?  

I've always been pretty meh about red in goalie gear.  To this day, my eye goes to sport gold/black/white the most and that combo is probably my favorite overall.  But man, I am all about red now which means the Canes goalies' styles makes me real happy.

1983318924_Screenshot_20210606-135908_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.3bb49a60d7f58c4d9830ef1446a31f96.jpg

We recently needed a new PS4 controller after destroying ours playing too much Mortal Kombat 11 and here was the one I bought

20210606_140707.thumb.jpg.483325dc1a1540b606d9237862e53540.jpg

 

Edited by seagoal
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

You might be onto something there, brother - my wife bought these the other day, and they could be the best chips I’ve ever had (and that’s saying something, as there was a time in my life when I’d be eating a bag of chips a day 😳😞

 

image.jpg

I will get so much shit for this from any fellow Texans but in my personal opinion French’s makes the best barbecue sauce. Yes yes “good barbecue doesn’t need sauce” but it’s not like the sauce makes it any worse. Especially French’s.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, ThatCarGuy said:

I will get so much shit for this from any fellow Texans but in my personal opinion French’s makes the best barbecue sauce. Yes yes “good barbecue doesn’t need sauce” but it’s not like the sauce makes it any worse. Especially French’s.

Really? Cool - I’ll have to see if I can get me some. Their mustard is top notch, so I’m willing to believe it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...