Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

One of my best friends that I play hockey with is fairly new to goalie.  He's mostly a F and he is a damn good one, but he got himself on a team full-time as a goalie as well.  He had been using Vaughn V3 gear and a few other older pieces of gear, hand-me-downs, etc.  He's very short in height, but very athletic overall, fast and agile.  He's a good goalie in the division he is in.

Anyway....I have been a (bad) influence on him with my custom gear, haha.  He decided it was time to upgrade his gear and found himself drawn to Vaughn.  Win for me as his buddy, ha.  Anyway, once I got my red gear, I gave him my VE8 blue gloves to use until he upgraded with his own gear.  He finally decided to not only get new V9 gear but go custom.  It was fun to help him design and spec his gear to match his Dallas Stars themed team.  He got a few of the specs I get on my mitts and pads.  The one thing I forgot to go over with him in advance of ordering was toe-ties and he ended up with the stock Vaughn clip bungee toe ties, which are not great.  He had already been using a set of velcro bungee on his V3 pads which was good, but not Pro Laces. I forget what brand.

Anyway, as a congratulations on his first custom set of gear and as a gift of friendship I ordered him some custom Pro Laces in his team colors with his name and number on them, and of course, the Vaughn toe bridge needed for them since the stock V9 bridge will not work.  I'm pretty excited to get these to him.  He opted not to get his name embroidered on his Vaughn gear, despite my consult to do so.  So it will be nice (for me, ha) to get his name on at least one piece of his new gear. 

Also, I placed the order with Pro Laces and less than 24 hours later...it shipped.  Damn, that was fast. 

So now he's wanting Jason Livery's contact info for a new helmet...jeez.  He's like me Jr, haha.  Good fun though.  It's great having a goalie little bro.

Edited by seagoal
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, seagoal said:

One of my best friends that I play hockey with is fairly new to goalie.  He's mostly a F and he is a damn good one, but he got himself on a team full-time as a goalie as well.  He had been using Vaughn V3 gear and a few other older pieces of gear, hand-me-downs, etc.  He's very short in height, but very athletic overall, fast and agile.  He's a good goalie in the division he is in.

Anyway....I have been a (bad) influence on him with my custom gear, haha.  He decided it was time to upgrade his gear and found himself drawn to Vaughn.  Win for me as his buddy, ha.  Anyway, once I got my red gear, I gave him my VE8 blue gloves to use until he upgraded with his own gear.  He finally decided to not only get new V9 gear but go custom.  It was fun to help him design and spec his gear to match his Dallas Stars themed team.  He got a few of the specs I get on my mitts and pads.  The one thing I forgot to go over with him in advance of ordering was toe-ties and he ended up with the stock Vaughn clip bungee toe ties, which are not great.  He had already been using a set of velcro bungee on his V3 pads which was good, but not Pro Laces. I forget what brand.

Anyway, as a congratulations on his first custom set of gear and as a gift of friendship I ordered him some custom Pro Laces in his team colors with his name and number on them, and of course, the Vaughn toe bridge needed for them since the stock V9 bridge will not work.  I'm pretty excited to get these to him.  He opted not to get his name embroidered on his Vaughn gear, despite my consult to do so.  So it will be nice (for me, ha) to get his name on at least one piece of his new gear. 

Also, I placed the order with Pro Laces and less than 24 hours later...it shipped.  Damn, that was fast. 

So now he's wanting Jason Livery's contact info for a new helmet...jeez.  He's like me Jr, haha.  Good fun though.  It's great having a goalie little bro.

Where's my presents?

No I didn’t watch most of it, but it’s not about what old codgers want, it’s about the youth. Besides, who the F cares who wins a skills competition? Make it fun for the players. They still had the traditional fan-favorite events like fastest skater, hardest shot and accuracy shooting. I thought the guys outside on the strip shooting at the cards to score blackjack was cool. Brought out a bit of the player’s personalities (and God does the league need that, since these guys are usually so bland).
I was actually out at the rink playing at a stick and puck earlier and missed most of the events. Got home in time to see the magic routine to pick the schedule for tomorrow and the goofy breakaway competition. I didn’t care for much of that part, so I was in the other room emptying my bag for that portion. My GF loved it. Honestly, I don’t watch most all-star events in any sport nowadays. I think it’s more about me then them. I’m just not really interested in it anymore. It probably wasn’t that much better when I was younger, my interests have just changed. 

9 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

No I didn’t watch most of it, but it’s not about what old codgers want, it’s about the youth. Besides, who the F cares who wins a skills competition? Make it fun for the players. They still had the traditional fan-favorite events like fastest skater, hardest shot and accuracy shooting. I thought the guys outside on the strip shooting at the cards to score blackjack was cool. Brought out a bit of the player’s personalities (and God does the league need that, since these guys are usually so bland).
I was actually out at the rink playing at a stick and puck earlier and missed most of the events. Got home in time to see the magic routine to pick the schedule for tomorrow and the goofy breakaway competition. I didn’t care for much of that part, so I was in the other room emptying my bag for that portion. My GF loved it. Honestly, I don’t watch most all-star events in any sport nowadays. I think it’s more about me then them. I’m just not really interested in it anymore. It probably wasn’t that much better when I was younger, my interests have just changed. 

I don't usually watch it either but it was a slow night at work so I streamed it on the computer.  Most of it was fine.  The traditional events were good.  I also enjoyed the blackjack event and the fountain shooting event.  But the breakaway challenge, oof.  Just. Awful.  

Didnt watch much. I had a skate Friday night, and saw the fastest skater and hardest shot before heading to rink. Kind of a yawn for the two events. Didnt help here that Wirtz had a disaster of a so-called town hall re the Blackhawks on Wednesday. So bad it overshadowed DeBrincat being the only Blackhawk in the Allstar Weekend and put the team back on the front pages for all the wrong reasons. Really hope for Fluery's sake, he gets out of here at the trade deadline. He's playing extremely well with zero in front of him. 

1 hour ago, Fullright said:

Didnt watch much. I had a skate Friday night, and saw the fastest skater and hardest shot before heading to rink. Kind of a yawn for the two events. Didnt help here that Wirtz had a disaster of a so-called town hall re the Blackhawks on Wednesday. So bad it overshadowed DeBrincat being the only Blackhawk in the Allstar Weekend and put the team back on the front pages for all the wrong reasons. Really hope for Fluery's sake, he gets out of here at the trade deadline. He's playing extremely well with zero in front of him. 

Oh he flipped his shit a couple nights ago.  Read an article he went into the hallway to the locker room after losing (or getting yanked?) and smashed his stick in frustration.  He's normally pretty chilled out, the environment must be getting to him

46 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Oh he flipped his shit a couple nights ago.  Read an article he went into the hallway to the locker room after losing (or getting yanked?) and smashed his stick in frustration.  He's normally pretty chilled out, the environment must be getting to him

He got pulled but I think it was King trying to protect him. The team is flatter than a tire with no air.

The team just sucks; at best, they are a beer league team aside from 2 or 3 guys. The other goalie, Lankenin, has a broken hand so MAF is playing every game. The two other guys in the minors arent very good. MAF, though, has been playing really well. His game hasnt dropped off a bit. If he gets out of here, and I hope for him it happens, they may as well bring up Commesso and see what he has. 

Toews is out with concussion - he's trying when healthy but he has tons of hard miles on him. Kane is so swarmed all he can do is pass to DeBrincat who is having a good season. Once you get past these 3 and MAF there isnt a whole lot on the ice and management is non existent. Attendance is way down and the season ticket holders are selling them at less than face. The Org-ni-zation needs a blow up and a restart. 

I didn't watch any of it except the introductions for the players for the game at 3 pm.

I'd say 3/4 of the players were 1st time all stars. My kids and I knew very few of them. No Crosby or Ovechkin? 

Also with 150 teams there are maybe one player per team making the all star thing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, MTH said:

I didn't watch any of it except the introductions for the players for the game at 3 pm.

I'd say 3/4 of the players were 1st time all stars. My kids and I knew very few of them. No Crosby or Ovechkin? 

Also with 150 teams there are maybe one player per team making the all star thing.

Ovi "failed a covid test" a day or two prior to the festivities.

16 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Ovi "failed a covid test" a day or two prior to the festivities.

Philly sports talk was discussing the all star games yesterday. More for the Pro Bowl and NBA game. They made a good point how being an 'all star' has little to no meaning to the current players. 

• NFL - post season. Injuries. Players make real money in regular season, why risk that?
  • NBA - every guy on the roster makes multi million a year. The stars are already pulling in $30M plus in salary. They don't need to be named an 'all star' to prove anything when you get that much money already. 
  • MLB - really the only decent game. Baseball is different. The all star game is not what it once was - but it's leaps and bounds better than the others.
  • NHL - Was a nice event. Sure, they don't play the same game as normal. But making it into a goofball 3 on 3 tournament is hokey as it gets. While the traditional 5 on 5 game became useless for the ASG, at least the stars all played. 

32 minutes ago, MTH said:

Philly sports talk was discussing the all star games yesterday. More for the Pro Bowl and NBA game. They made a good point how being an 'all star' has little to no meaning to the current players. 

• NFL - post season. Injuries. Players make real money in regular season, why risk that?
  • NBA - every guy on the roster makes multi million a year. The stars are already pulling in $30M plus in salary. They don't need to be named an 'all star' to prove anything when you get that much money already. 
  • MLB - really the only decent game. Baseball is different. The all star game is not what it once was - but it's leaps and bounds better than the others.
  • NHL - Was a nice event. Sure, they don't play the same game as normal. But making it into a goofball 3 on 3 tournament is hokey as it gets. While the traditional 5 on 5 game became useless for the ASG, at least the stars all played. 

Wifey taped the ASG for me, so I will watch out of obligation. 

• Like 1

When I was kid (mid 80's), my geeky neighbor wanted to play hockey with us. Wanted to be the goalie. Had no gear. Parents had no idea about it. So he made stuff to go along with his baseball glove and winter jacket.

He took a ski glove and a binder and used duct tape to make a blocker.

He wore glasses like Corey Haim in Lucas:

Corey Haim, Actor, Dies at 38 - The New York Times

But a Mylec mask wouldn't work. So he took a pair of his old glasses, removed the lenses and hot glued them to the mask. I kid you not.

Best (worst?) part was when the other kids saw him in net with his mask, they ripped slapshots at his mask to get the lenses to fall out. Which they did. Pretty good shots with a mylec hockey ball too.

So I finally decided to upgrade my knee pads.  It was time.  The only place I could find them was The Goal Crease in Ontario.....no big deal.

Oops, they're stuck in Windsor and can't get into the US through Detroit.  Not a huge deal though,  it's just interesting timing to actually be waiting on something I bought in Canada.