Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

12 minutes ago, seagoal said:

So I finally decided to upgrade my knee pads.  It was time.  The only place I could find them was The Goal Crease in Ontario.....no big deal.

Oops, they're stuck in Windsor and can't get into the US through Detroit.  Not a huge deal though,  it's just interesting timing to actually be waiting on something I bought in Canada.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60320874

In case you didn't know about our temper tantrum we're having up here.

3 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-60320874

In case you didn't know about our temper tantrum we're having up here.

Haha, yeah, I knew. I wouldn't have posted otherwise.  I do love a good principled tantrum now and then.......I just think it's funny there is 1 single, literal bridge, holding up my knee pads in a foreign country.

F'n modern world we live in ;)

9 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Haha, yeah, I knew. I wouldn't have posted otherwise.  I do love a good principled tantrum now and then.......I just think it's funny there is 1 single, literal bridge, holding up my knee pads in a foreign country.

Feels weird seeing someone refer to Canada as a foreign country. I mean, you're right. Just odd seeing it laid out.

Should've paid for air freight. ;)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Feels weird seeing someone refer to Canada as a foreign country. I mean, you're right. Just odd seeing it laid out.

Should've paid for air freight. ;)

Ha.  True x 2.  Although air freight on knee pads is almost as much as buying 2 sets of knee pads. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Stupid Chinada and their dumb restrictions.  Your motherland thinks nothing of Covid anymore.  Ya'll need to get the fuck with the times.  Her Majesty is disappointed in you dumb colonists. 

Hospitals are still slammed in many provinces, which is presumably why we still have somewhat strong public health orders. I'm as tired of restrictions as anyone, but still see the use. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Stupid Chinada and their dumb restrictions.  Your motherland thinks nothing of Covid anymore.  Ya'll need to get the fuck with the times.  Her Majesty is disappointed in you dumb colonists. 

Her Majesty is preoccupied with her Fucked Up son(s)🤫

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, seagoal said:

The Ambassador Bridge is a complete clusterf*ck at the best of times, I can't even imagine what it's like right now. There's another bridge under construction (aptly named after Gordie Howe) but yeah, it's gonna be awhile before it's ready. 

19 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Hey now, the word Colonists is a slur and I won't be the subject of such vile hate speech.

#cancelSBR

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, motowngoalie said:

The Ambassador Bridge is a complete clusterf*ck at the best of times, I can't even imagine what it's like right now. There's another bridge under construction (aptly named after Gordie Howe) but yeah, it's gonna be awhile before it's ready. 

It's the most famous bridge in America, if the media frenzy is any indication.  Been hearing a lot about the volume of commercial traffic that crosses it.  Pretty crazy.  My lonely knee pads are but a fraction :(

On 2/11/2022 at 1:13 PM, seagoal said:

Right? I had no idea that was a thing.  How does that even work?

There are a million different owners for bridges all over the continent. Each have their own unique way that they are managed. This bridge was built by an independent company in the day and financed privately and though tolling now. 

Later years the states and providences worked to establish authorities that are ruled by state/providence rules.

This was private and stayed that way. I know with the proposals to build the Gordie bridge, the owners of the Ambassador are looking to either pawn it off or other plans (demo or let fall apart?). It's in need for work but the owners know that another bridge will kill the income for the Ambassador. So why bother?

Another win for us in our 40+ game, this time 7-2.  I'm still playing well, but...I let in the stupidest goal.  A big oopsy but I got a good laugh at myself:

-very slow, easy shot on the ice coming to my right side, drop my right knee, stick in position in front of my knee, puck hits my stick and starts spinning like a record really fast, I go to cover it and wait for the whistle along with everyone else who all let up.....no whistle.   The puck was spinning so fast that when my glove touched it it shot out to my left like a projectile right to a guy on my left, tap in for a goal.

Haha.  So dumb, but funny. Gotta love the flukey awful goals now and then.

• Like 2

Thought this was a story my fellow beer leaguers could appreciate...

This week was delighted to find us in the 8PM timeslot (the earliest offered at this part of the season). Got to the rink, got dressed in the locker room that houses my equipment year round and strolled over to the south sheet of ice for what was supposed to be our early game. Was only then notified that a hole in the ice had surfaced on the high school game so they moved over to our sheet. Meanwhile - us low level beer leaguers ended up waiting 45 minutes while they resurfaced and waited for things to refreeze. Just thought some of you could appreciate being the lowest rung on the ladder. They didn't ask but if they did - I would have advocated that the young bucks who probably stay up late on the regular be the ones to wait out the refreeze as opposed to the old(er) guys who already warmed themselves up only to sit around for close to an hour. Couldn't even start drinking early - lest I have to tinkle midgame.

The struggle is real folks. 😆

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, chile57 said:

So @seagoal - did your new knee pads materialize now that the bridge gridlock has evaporated (close to a week or so after it began)?

Yes, they did. They were stuck in Windsor for a while but from what I can tell they ended up going up through Sarnia and over to Wyoming, Illinois instead of landing in Michigan. They showed up yesterday so I got to use them for the first time last night.

So. Damn. Comfortable.  Nothing like fresh new knee pads.  I felt taller in my butterfly and had the classic new knee pads strap burning behind my legs .

• Like 1

5 hours ago, seagoal said:

Yes, they did. They were stuck in Windsor for a while but from what I can tell they ended up going up through Sarnia and over to Wyoming, Illinois instead of landing in Michigan. They showed up yesterday so I got to use them for the first time last night.

So. Damn. Comfortable.  Nothing like fresh new knee pads.  I felt taller in my butterfly and had the classic new knee pads strap burning behind my legs .

Rx3 pro+?

I'll third your guys opinion - I couldn't get comfortable in any kind of knee pad until I tried the Warriors. I'm now on my 3rd set (with a 4th waiting in the wings). Easily the most comfortable knee pad that articulates sensically as far as I'm concerned (and I'm rrreally picky about knee pads).

11 hours ago, insertnamehere said:

I've got the same. Managed to get them for $74 USD on eBay, love em. 

6 hours ago, chile57 said:

I'll third your guys opinion - I couldn't get comfortable in any kind of knee pad until I tried the Warriors. I'm now on my 3rd set (with a 4th waiting in the wings). Easily the most comfortable knee pad that articulates sensically as far as I'm concerned (and I'm rrreally picky about knee pads).

They are great. I haven't tried a whole lot of knee pads over the years: a couple different Velocity ones and one pair of older CCM ones.  I either found those to be very uncomfortable to land on, not protective enough in the thigh, or both.  I take a lot of pucks to the knee/thigh area and the Warrior Pro+ ones are tanks. Plus, the long, segmented landing area is so comfortable and supportive.  Big fan of these.