Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

22 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Imagine the fear level of someone in your neighborhood taking a dump at that exact moment

Ha!  I did in fact think of that.  There was this horror movie called Ghoulies in the 80s that had a similar scene if I recall correctly.

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 1:39 PM, seagoal said:

Man, I'm working from home today.  Sitting up at the bar in our kitchen.  A utility truck of some kind showed up outside my house in the middle of the intersection near the roundabout and started drilling, it seemed, into the ground.  All of a sudden the toilet on our main floor started bubbling and making roaring noises and spewing up water like a geyser or a fountain in this erratic pattern.  The water level was not rising, it was just like air was being projected through the pipes out of the toilet and sending up giant bubbles and causing it to project water into the air.  So damn weird, anyone have any idea what the heck was going on?

Nothing happened to the toilet downstairs in our basement.

Sewers typically work using gravity. Like the saying says, crap flows downhill. So if there was work on a sewer main in the road, it could have caused some disruption in the main that went to your house.

The sewer lines in your house are typically empty and there are vents that stick up out of your roof. 

There are "traps" that are installed to prevent sewer air from escaping though your drains in the house. If there was some added air pressure to the sewer line, odds are it kicked up the water in your toilet trap. The way that the lines are ran in your home likely was the reason why the toilet in the main floor was the only one affected.

If they were working in the road, sometimes they have to clear blockages (terrible job to do). Most times they will jet the blockage out with high pressure water. Maybe when the blockage was freed, it caused the air 'hammer' effect. They even use vacuum trucks too - again would disrupt the air pressure in the lines.

Pure speculation.

Grease in the drains is real shitty problem along with the moist wipes that are supposedly "flushable". Philadelphia Water Department (where I work) incurs huge clogs full of them. Be mindful of not putting cooking grease down the drains and take it easy with flushing the wipes.

Edited by MTH
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, MTH said:

Grease in the drains is real shitty problem along with the moist wipes that are supposedly "flushable". Philadelphia Water Department (where I work) incurs huge clogs full of them.

Friends of mine that work in that sector have told me the same thing time and time again. "Flushable" just means that you can flush them from your toilet and then it becomes everybody else's problem, even the term bio-degradable on some of the better ones are misleading, like yeah technically everything is bio-degradable on an infinite time scale.

• Like 1

Any kind of grease or oil shouldn't be put down the drain. From bacon grease to tuna/sardine can oil. And that extra padding toilet paper is no good for the septic system especially if the toilet has no flushing pressure.

Not really adding anything not already covered, just wanted to throw in my 2 cents 

• Like 1

On 5/17/2022 at 7:39 PM, seagoal said:

Man, I'm working from home today.  Sitting up at the bar in our kitchen.  A utility truck of some kind showed up outside my house in the middle of the intersection near the roundabout and started drilling, it seemed, into the ground.  All of a sudden the toilet on our main floor started bubbling and making roaring noises and spewing up water like a geyser or a fountain in this erratic pattern.  The water level was not rising, it was just like air was being projected through the pipes out of the toilet and sending up giant bubbles and causing it to project water into the air.  So damn weird, anyone have any idea what the heck was going on?

Nothing happened to the toilet downstairs in our basement.

Stop eating Taco Bell

11 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

What does grease down the drain do to the system?  Asking for a friend...

Grease is a solid when cold. So when people cook and the hot grease from the pan is poured down the drain - it will cool in the pipe with cold water. It grabs other debris and makes a sticky ball of goop. 

Sewer lines aren't smooth inside. All the pipe joints and bends will cause areas where flow slows down. Add in hair, shampoo, soap and other goodies that make their way in and you get a problem brewing.

Keep repeating this process and the globs grow. Similar plaque in your arteries, when the grease globs break free, they will clog up at the next pinch point in the line.

Test is on Friday.

MTH, PE

5 hours ago, MTH said:

Grease is a solid when cold. So when people cook and the hot grease from the pan is poured down the drain - it will cool in the pipe with cold water. It grabs other debris and makes a sticky ball of goop. 

Sewer lines aren't smooth inside. All the pipe joints and bends will cause areas where flow slows down. Add in hair, shampoo, soap and other goodies that make their way in and you get a problem brewing.

Keep repeating this process and the globs grow. Similar plaque in your arteries, when the grease globs break free, they will clog up at the next pinch point in the line.

Test is on Friday.

MTH, PE

Makes sense.  I always wipe all the shit out of my pans before I wash them in the sink but obviously some stuff sticks until actually washed.  My wife on the other hand...don't get me started...

3 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

Makes sense.  I always wipe all the shit out of my pans before I wash them in the sink but obviously some stuff sticks until actually washed.  My wife on the other hand...don't get me started...

Interesting. I would have thought that Mrs. Richter would be the more accurate type, considering how many women hate the smell of their men's goalie gear when it has not been cleaned. But it might be different if both he and she play in goal. 

15 hours ago, ilyazhito said:

Interesting. I would have thought that Mrs. Richter would be the more accurate type, considering how many women hate the smell of their men's goalie gear when it has not been cleaned. But it might be different if both he and she play in goal. 

Oh, Stewardess? I speak jive - Airplane Jive | Meme Generator

What he said was...

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Man, I've been tempted to pull the trigger on some used Bauer Supreme gear. I want something stiffer than my GT2's. 

Unfortunately I just bought a second place and have a kid on the way, so the responsible thing to do is to not buy more goalie gear. 

But man am I ever tempted. 

Buy the Bauers and put the GT2’s on their face to serve as a bassinet for the baby.  The soft leg channel combined with the soothing aroma of his/her dad’s hockey stench will ease the baby to sleep.  

• Haha 1

Just now, jerd31 said:

Buy the Bauers and put the GT2’s on their face to serve as a bassinet for the baby.  The soft leg channel combined with the soothing aroma of his/her dad’s hockey stench will ease the baby to sleep.  

I'm liking the thought process here. 

Now you just need to come with a strategy to sort out the wife complaints that will inevitably arise. 

21 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Man, I've been tempted to pull the trigger on some used Bauer Supreme gear. I want something stiffer than my GT2's. 

Unfortunately I just bought a second place and have a kid on the way, so the responsible thing to do is to not buy more goalie gear. 

But man am I ever tempted. 

Posting this here is like an alcoholic walking into a bar and going "Hey guys, you know I really shouldn't drink today..." 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

“I got them for $50 babe”

So simple it should work. 

36 minutes ago, estogoalie said:

Posting this here is like an alcoholic walking into a bar and going "Hey guys, you know I really shouldn't drink today..." 

You're acting like I'm not looking to have my rubber arm twisted into making an impulse purchase. 

49 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I'm weak, oh so weak. 

Untitled.png.e481e3e2109daf2148b8e8881b22e69c.png

One of us. One of us. One of us. Btw it’s easy to make a Mach out of a 2s blocker if you have a seam ripper. Highly recommend ditching the lower calf strap on the pads and running across the knee.