Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

3 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

One of us. One of us. One of us. Btw it’s easy to make a Mach out of a 2s blocker if you have a seam ripper. Highly recommend ditching the lower calf strap on the pads and running across the knee. 

Honestly, it's the catcher I'm disappointed I can't get to mimic the Mach. I tried one on in store and it's a close rival to the feel of a Warrior glove. 

Haven't had a strap across the knee since my V4, just before my RGT1 set. 

Why those two recommendations? 

33 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Honestly, it's the catcher I'm disappointed I can't get to mimic the Mach. I tried one on in store and it's a close rival to the feel of a Warrior glove. 

Haven't had a strap across the knee since my V4, just before my RGT1 set. 

Why those two recommendations? 

From my memory the 2s glove wasn’t bad by any means. Bauer gloves in general work better with hard shots than warrior from my experience. Plus it’s super easy to float the tee since the finger and palm perimeter laces are separate. 

The pads generally sit low on the skate so sometimes the calf strap just sits on top of the boot of the skate. If you don’t strap across the knee you may have tons of over rotation or miss the knee block completely off the back. 

• Like 1

Apologize for the following rant...

I got back on the ice last June after about 15 years off (played one season of club level hockey in college, then stopped playing ice altogether since I was 18 till 36).  I started at open hockeys at my local rinks, then reached out to the surrounding rinks to add my name to the list, hoping to land on a team.  I requested to be put into B level play, but only found a mid-C level team that was looking for a goalie.  I told them I was hoping to land in B, but they asked if I can do half the games, and have another goalie from another one of their teams' cover the over half.  I agreed, played very well, and won the championship.  At the same time, some of my teammates also had a B-level team, and they asked me to backup their goalie last season, which I did and played a handful of games with them, playing very well- they won the championship, too.  So this season, the league told us we either had to move up, or drop our two best players as they're "too good to be playing in C", according to the league.  We dropped those two guys, and are absolutely stinking it up this year.  A few of the games this season I've given up 5,6,7 goals, but the last two I've given up 3 and 2.  Our other goalie isn't faring much better, he's giving up around 8/game so far in the 3 that he's played.  I'm super competitive and have been getting frustrated- I'm shouting at guys on the ice (not directly, but just in general shouting for them to cover points, pick up a man, put it around the boards harder, etc).  

On the other end, I've played in 4 of the 6 games for the B-league team since their regular goalie hasn't been able to make too many games thus far this season.  I fit in with the competition so much better in B and jump on any chance I get to play with them- but, they have a regular goalie.  

There's also another rink I've been filling in at- the owner of the rink reached out late last year and added me to the list, and seems to text me at least 1-2 times a week to fill in.  About a month back, a B team needed a fill in and I showed up.  I played great, we won, and they took my number cause they needed me for the next game.  I've now played 4 games with them as their goalie had an injury and a family emergency.  I've overheard them saying things that indicate I'm better than their regular goalie- the team captain even outright said something like, "we'd take you in a heartbeat if we weren't loyal to our current goalie".  After the last game we had a couple nights ago, one guy said, "I'm lobbying to get you as our full time goalie".  One guy I hadn't played with yet asked if I was filling in or their new goalie, and they said "we have to have that conversation with the team", which sounds like they're seriously considering replacing their regular goalie with me.  

Anyway, it's been frustrating trying to land on a competitive beer league team.  I'm loving being back in net and playing 1, 2, 3 times a week.  Filling in is great as it gets me on the ice, but I just wanna find a team full time, which I get is hard when so many teams have been around for years and have the same crew.

/rant

Edited by jerd31
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

Apologize for the following rant...

I got back on the ice last June after about 15 years off (played one season of club level hockey in college, then stopped playing ice altogether since I was 18 till 36).  I started at open hockeys at my local rinks, then reached out to the surrounding rinks to add my name to the list, hoping to land on a team.  I requested to be put into B level play, but only found a mid-C level team that was looking for a goalie.  I told them I was hoping to land in B, but they asked if I can do half the games, and have another goalie from another one of their teams' cover the over half.  I agreed, played very well, and won the championship.  At the same time, some of my teammates also had a B-level team, and they asked me to backup their goalie last season, which I did and played a handful of games with them, playing very well- they won the championship, too.  So this season, the league told us we either had to move up, or drop our two best players as they're "too good to be playing in C", according to the league.  We dropped those two guys, and are absolutely stinking it up this year.  A few of the games this season I've given up 5,6,7 goals, but the last two I've given up 3 and 2.  Our other goalie isn't faring much better, he's giving up around 8/game so far in the 3 that he's played.  I'm super competitive and have been getting frustrated- I'm shouting at guys on the ice (not directly, but just in general shouting for them to cover points, pick up a man, put it around the boards harder, etc).  

On the other end, I've played in 4 of the 6 games for the B-league team since their regular goalie hasn't been able to make too many games thus far this season.  I fit in with the competition so much better in B and jump on any chance I get to play with them- but, they have a regular goalie.  

There's also another rink I've been filling in at- the owner of the rink reached out late last year and added me to the list, and seems to text me at least 1-2 times a week to fill in.  About a month back, a B team needed a fill in and I showed up.  I played great, we won, and they took my number cause they needed me for the next game.  I've now played 4 games with them as their goalie had an injury and a family emergency.  I've overheard them saying things that indicate I'm better than their regular goalie- the team captain even outright said something like, "we'd take you in a heartbeat if we weren't loyal to our current goalie".  After the last game we had a couple nights ago, one guy said, "I'm lobbying to get you as our full time goalie".  One guy I hadn't played with yet asked if I was filling in or their new goalie, and they said "we have to have that conversation with the team", which sounds like they're seriously considering replacing their regular goalie with me.  

Anyway, it's been frustrating trying to land on a competitive beer league team.  I'm loving being back in net and playing 1, 2, 3 times a week.  Filling in is great as it gets me on the ice, but I just wanna find a team full time, which I get is hard when so many teams have been around for years and have the same crew.

/rant

Give it some time mon ami. 

I've found that there is a general growth to getting to higher divisions and getting a full time spot on teams. You start on lower teams, play with subs from higher up, they bring you in as a fill in, you play more, get a spot, and then the process continues. 

There is also the other way where your captain recognizes he has a good group of talent and lets go the weaker guys to bring in stronger guys to build around the existing team members and the team naturally climbs the ladder. 

One thing to keep in mind is that higher division teams don't see the same amount of goalie turnover as the lower ones. Goalies on those teams are not only more committed/competitive, but the teams they play for strive to keep strong goalies for a long time because of how pivotal our position is day-in and day-out. 

It sounds like you're well on your way to breaking in as the full time guy. Just keep playing and it'll come. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Give it some time mon ami. 

I've found that there is a general growth to getting to higher divisions and getting a full time spot on teams. You start on lower teams, play with subs from higher up, they bring you in as a fill in, you play more, get a spot, and then the process continues. 

There is also the other way where your captain recognizes he has a good group of talent and lets go the weaker guys to bring in stronger guys to build around the existing team members and the team naturally climbs the ladder. 

One thing to keep in mind is that higher division teams don't see the same amount of goalie turnover as the lower ones. Goalies on those teams are not only more committed/competitive, but the teams they play for strive to keep strong goalies for a long time because of how pivotal our position is day-in and day-out. 

It sounds like you're well on your way to breaking in as the full time guy. Just keep playing and it'll come. 

Appreciate it- yeah I know I need to be patient but I'm an impatient person haha.  Also I get that we're not in the NHL and teams aren't always gonna just drop folks because someone better comes along, especially if they've had a long-term goalie on their team that's a friend at this point.  I've ranted a few times to my fiance about it and she's super supportive but probably getting tired of me whining about not getting on a team full-time. 

7 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

Appreciate it- yeah I know I need to be patient but I'm an impatient person haha.  Also I get that we're not in the NHL and teams aren't always gonna just drop folks because someone better comes along, especially if they've had a long-term goalie on their team that's a friend at this point.  I've ranted a few times to my fiance about it and she's super supportive but probably getting tired of me whining about not getting on a team full-time. 

Yea, you've only been back a year haha. 

And you've nailed it. There's a team I've played for a few times that's on the younger side and that's at the next level up that I want to play. 

Myself and their goalie are similar in skill levels (he's still better), but I have almost zero chance of usurping him as these guys played on the same team growing up for years. It's a nature of the beast of beer leagues haha. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea, you've only been back a year haha. 

And you've nailed it. There's a team I've played for a few times that's on the younger side and that's at the next level up that I want to play. 

Myself and their goalie are similar in skill levels (he's still better), but I have almost zero chance of usurping him as these guys played on the same team growing up for years. It's a nature of the beast of beer leagues haha. 

I'm 50 years old, english is my native language, and I've never used the word "usurping" in my life. I'm not even sure how to pronounce it, or what it means. But I'm gonna see about working it into my daily vocabulary. 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.... sorry if I ursurped anyone....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

I'm 50 years old, english is my native language, and I've never used the word "usurping" in my life. I'm not even sure how to pronounce it, or what it means. But I'm gonna see about working it into my daily vocabulary. 

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.... sorry if I ursurped anyone....

you-sir-ping

To take a position by force.

Every time I fill in I get the 'you should be our goalie' line... well, most times.

I always think how I'd feel if I was that goalie they normally had and some dude came in and had the team start saying that. Makes you wonder if you did become their goalie how fast they'd sell you out.

Most times teams will lose a few guys then merge up with another group and then you land the full time job. 

Filling in for low level games sucks. Terrible d. Wildly taken shots. No flow to the game. Harder I think to play in that environment.

30 minutes ago, MTH said:

Every time I fill in I get the 'you should be our goalie' line... well, most times.

I always think how I'd feel if I was that goalie they normally had and some dude came in and had the team start saying that. Makes you wonder if you did become their goalie how fast they'd sell you out.

Most times teams will lose a few guys then merge up with another group and then you land the full time job. 

Filling in for low level games sucks. Terrible d. Wildly taken shots. No flow to the game. Harder I think to play in that environment.

I'd given thought about that and yeah, it'd suck to be the other guy but who knows what dynamic the team has with their goalie.  I guess I'm the mistress goalie lol.  

I've become pretty selective with who I fill in for- if I see they're a low level team, I usually pass.  Not that I'm an A-level goalie, but playing down in C just gets me frustrated most times.  

45 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

I'd given thought about that and yeah, it'd suck to be the other guy but who knows what dynamic the team has with their goalie.  I guess I'm the mistress goalie lol.  

I've become pretty selective with who I fill in for- if I see they're a low level team, I usually pass.  Not that I'm an A-level goalie, but playing down in C just gets me frustrated most times.  

Interesting. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm a D level goalie, so would it be easier, in a way for me to play at C level, after I get a little more experience? 

7 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Last night, I faced more shots in the 3rd period alone than my team put up in the entire game.  7-0 loss.  I'm. Tired.

image.png.1b0f5a2d4d563af768d10bc45c4fd724.png

Same here. We lost 8-0 and got outshot 27-12 (officially). By my unofficial count, we were outshot 33-12. 

16 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Interesting. I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum. I'm a D level goalie, so would it be easier, in a way for me to play at C level, after I get a little more experience? 

Truly depends. The notion that it's harder to play in lower divisions needs to take into account the current level you're playing at. 

Say you're a newer goalie who generally has only played D. The jump up to C will bring on a few challenges for a goalie:

- Faster overall game speed
- Shots are more accurate/powerful and releases become tougher to read as shots are off sticks sooner
- Players overall are just better. Better passing, better play reads, stronger ability to score on goalies, etc.

Though, there are some definitive benefits too:

- Plays in front of you play out in a more expected fashion (honestly a massive benefit) 
- Defense is much stronger and do their assigned jobs 
- Easier to deflect shots out of harms way due to higher shot velocity
- Less time to overthink situations and get into a 'flow' state. 

There's going to be a transition period where you slowly get used to the increase in speed/skill in the level, but for many people, that transition is fun and challenging.

Now, say you're playing at C level consistently and you're doing well. When you play a game for a D level team, now you're facing the following challenges:

- Shots come at you a fraction of the speed and you can easily overplay it.
- Tougher to read shots as even the shooter doesn't have a clue where it's going. 
- No one has any clue what they're doing out there and it leads you to spending more mental capacity just trying to figure out what in god's name they're doing. 
- Defense is lousier and lacks common ability/sense to adhere to their responsibilities.
- Players get caught either watching the puck and not moving, or you get Timbits hockey where every damn player is in the corner for some reason. 
etc. 

It's reasons like above that you hear people say it's tougher to play down than to play up. 

Keep in mind, the next level up isn't always going to work well for people depending on their current skill level too. 

I play at a decent level (high-mid tier) and do well. I've played for a few teams in the next level up and I'm just not there yet to play consistently. I lack the conditioning to keep up at that level. The shots are a bit better and harder, sure, but it's the overall speed of the game and how quick I need to be just with skating ability to remain square and in position that kills me. 

If you feel you're ready, definitely try out some games at the next level to get a taste of what the game is like. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Truly depends. The notion that it's harder to play in lower divisions needs to take into account the current level you're playing at. 

Say you're a newer goalie who generally has only played D. The jump up to C will bring on a few challenges for a goalie:

- Shots are more accurate/powerful and releases become tougher to read as shots are off sticks sooner
- Players overall are just better. Better passing, better play reads, stronger ability to score on goalies, etc.

- Plays in front of you play out in a more expected fashion (honestly a massive benefit) 

There's going to be a transition period where you slowly get used to the increase in speed/skill in the level, but for many people, that transition is fun and challenging.

Now, say you're playing at C level consistently and you're doing well. When you play a game for a D level team, now you're facing the following challenges:

- Tougher to read shots as even the shooter doesn't have a clue where it's going. 
- No one has any clue what they're doing out there and it leads you to spending more mental capacity just trying to figure out what in god's name they're doing. 
- Defense is lousier and lacks common ability/sense to adhere to their responsibilities.
- Players get caught either watching the puck and not moving, or you get Timbits hockey where every damn player is in the corner for some reason. 
etc. 

It's reasons like above that you hear people say it's tougher to play down than to play up. 

Keep in mind, the next level up isn't always going to work well for people depending on their current skill level too. 

I play at a decent level (high-mid tier) and do well. I've played for a few teams in the next level up and I'm just not there yet to play consistently. I lack the conditioning to keep up at that level. The shots are a bit better and harder, sure, but it's the overall speed of the game and how quick I need to be just with skating ability to remain square and in position that kills me. 

If you feel you're ready, definitely try out some games at the next level to get a taste of what the game is like. 

That makes sense. I've subbed up and notice that the pace of play in C is faster than in D and the shots are more accurate, but my teammates are also better and won't make dumb plays. 

58 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

Same here. We lost 8-0 and got outshot 27-12 (officially). By my unofficial count, we were outshot 33-12. 

As tiring as these are, they are good for the soul and character development.  Great opportunities to learn to laugh (at yourself) and build resilience.

The worst night at hockey is better than most good nights not playing.

57 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

etc. 

24 minutes ago, ilyazhito said:

That makes sense. I've subbed up and notice that the pace of play in C is faster than in D and the shots are more accurate, but my teammates are also better and won't make dumb plays. 

I love this conversation topic and I was just having it with my buddy, recently. 

It's so easy to think that, say, a div 4 goalie should clean house and get shutouts in div 6.  Nope, not even close.  It's so tough playing down.

@coopaloop1234 totally nailed this above, such a good post.

Predictability in the hockey in front of us is so important to good goaltending.  Lower levels of play can be so random and erratic and chaotic and thus, less predictable.  I find it so difficult to dial in and stay sharp in div 6, as opposed to div 4, where I normally play and am very well tuned and calibrated.

I often think of the hockey in front of us goalies as a filter and us goalies have to fend off whatever makes it through the filter.  Well, the filter gets better the higher up you go, so we have to fend off less stuff the higher we play.  Sure, higher is faster and better skilled, but it's less random and less erratic and less chaotic. It's more controlled and more predictable so it makes that part of goaltending a bit easier...once you get calibrated to the speed of skating/shots.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, seagoal said:

I love this conversation topic and I was just having it with my buddy, recently. 

It's so easy to think that, say, a div 4 goalie should clean house and get shutouts in div 6.  Nope, not even close.  It's so tough playing down.

@coopaloop1234 totally nailed this above, such a good post.

Predictability in the hockey in front of us is so important to good goaltending.  Lower levels of play can be so random and erratic and chaotic and thus, less predictable.  I find it so difficult to dial in and stay sharp in div 6, as opposed to div 4, where I normally play and am very well tuned and calibrated.

I often think of the hockey in front of us goalies as a filter and us goalies have to fend off whatever makes it through the filter.  Well, the filter gets better the higher up you go, so we have to fend off less stuff the higher we play.  Sure, higher is faster and better skilled, but it's less random and less erratic and less chaotic. It's more controlled and more predictable so it makes that part of goaltending a bit easier...once you get calibrated to the speed of skating/shots.

Funny enough, I generally face more shots in my higher divs, but there's less shot attempts. 

Lower divs have more guys trying to shoot (trying is the key word here) and their shots go into shin pads, into the corner, behind them, up in the air, tipped away, actually on you, or somehow behind you. 

I spend a large amount of energy reacting and trying to save non-existent shots that a 25 shot game in lower divisions is more exhausting than a 35 shot game at my current level. 

Also note that a lot of tiredness I feel is because I overplay shots too. Guy gets the puck on the point, has a clear lane to skate to the hash marks to shoot, I anticipate this, get to the top of my crease, get my legs loaded for a save, and the guy either misses the net completely or send it back to his other D-man (lol wut?) 

So I've exerted a lot of energy for what I'd normally read as a high danger shot, for essentially nothing because the player on the other end is that bad. 

Edited by coopaloop1234
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Funny enough, I generally face more shots in my higher divs, but there's less shot attempts. 

Lower divs have more guys trying to shoot (trying is the key word here) and their shots go into shin pads, into the corner, behind them, up in the air, tipped away, actually on you, or somehow behind you. 

I spend a large amount of energy reacting and trying to save non-existent shots that a 25 shot game in lower divisions is more exhausting than a 35 shot game at my current level. 

haha, yes.  There's more anticipation and wondering about what in the hell they are doing and whether or not their antics end up causing shots on goal. 

Side note: my favorite div 6 or div 5 thing is being able to play the puck way more, given more time and space and then watching them freak out because "the goalie is out of the net."  Cracks me up every time. 

Just now, seagoal said:

haha, yes.  There's more anticipation and wondering about what in the hell they are doing and whether or not their antics end up causing shots on goal. 

Side note: my favorite div 6 or div 5 thing is being able to play the puck way more, given more time and space and then watching them freak out because "the goalie is out of the net."  Cracks me up every time. 

Haha yes. They're also generally confused or unsure that they're actually allowed to stick check the goalie that if you hold it and don't immediately fire it off when they get close, they end up peeling away and giving you even more time and space. 

One thing I've noticed playing down is that I get screened SO MUCH MORE.  Like, whenever the opposition has control in our zone, I have two defenders and a winger or two in the slot for some reason.  And the wingers CONSTANTLY collapse into the slot/high slot and leave the points uncovered.  My one team has been doing that constantly this season and it's driving me mad.  The puck is in the corner or behind the net, my team goes for the clear up the boards, but the only person there is the other team's D at the point.  I lost my shit last game when this kept happening.

Edited by jerd31
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, jerd31 said:

One thing I've noticed playing down is that I get screened SO MUCH MORE.  Like, whenever the opposition has control in our zone, I have two defenders and a winger in the slot for some reason.  And the wingers CONSTANTLY collapse into the slot/high slot and leave the points uncovered.  My one team has been doing that constantly this season and it's driving me mad.  The puck is in the corner or behind the net, my team goes for the clear up the boards, but the only person there is the other team's D at the point.  I lost my shit last game when this kept happening.

Yeah, I feel way more crowded in lower divisions, too.  I often have to tell lower D to give me space and move away. I'll tap them in the hip with my stick or blocker.  There was one guy so close that when I dropped in a butterfly in the crease the thigh rise on my pads would land on top of his skates.  We had to have a chat, haha.

26 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, I feel way more crowded in lower divisions, too.  I often have to tell lower D to give me space and move away. I'll tap them in the hip with my stick or blocker.  There was one guy so close that when I dropped in a butterfly in the crease the thigh rise on my pads would land on top of his skates.  We had to have a chat, haha.

I've had guys move through my crease behind me to try and cover open guys and interfere with my backside recoveries. 

After having a chat, they told me that it's something they'd have to get used to as "They're not used to goalies being able to move after they drop down". 

• Haha 1

Short rant,

I'd love to support a smaller manufacturer with the next purchase for my fiance, but so far I have tried to reaching out to two companies, M4G and Jrz regarding pricing (that they don't add on their hompage) For intermediate pads, and sr. gloves with int. internals. And none of them have yet to reply. One was two weeks ago i contacted them, the other 4 weeks ago..... 

I wonder by now if you should go with another brand? Or if anybody else have any other recommendations?

She'd like a modern pad with a vintage look. Not so many preferences regarding the gloves.

Rant end. *sigh*