Daily Chit-chat

seagoal

My 2017 Wrangler blew the head gasket a few weeks ago. Sad to let my Jeep go after all the hours and love I had for it. New engines are a little over $5k and not easy to get right now. After 151k miles, the cost for a new installed engine (I don't feel like installing it) is more than I wanted to pay for a high mileage truck.

RIP

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, MTH said:

My 2017 Wrangler blew the head gasket a few weeks ago. Sad to let my Jeep go after all the hours and love I had for it. New engines are a little over $5k and not easy to get right now. After 151k miles, the cost for a new installed engine (I don't feel like installing it) is more than I wanted to pay for a high mileage truck.

RIP

You know, a 383 Stroker swaps are real popular.

• Like 1

One week I will have a league game where half the other team's shots are not breakaways or 2-on-1s, but it was not this week...or last week :)

You'd think that our side would have games like that, too, except all my team's forwards like to skate directly into a 1 v 3 every time they enter the offensive zone this season. Ah well, a man can dream!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

I was up in Toronto this past weekend. First time there since 2007. Holy hell the city is built up! Felt like I was in a futuristic city when I drove in on the highway. Every building was 40 stories tall and covered in green glass. WTF?

I managed to stop at Canadian Tire for the first time in my life. Not too shabby. Finally saw their infamous gear selection in person. They did have some Sher Wood 9950 sticks that were Canadian made. I would have grabbed two if I was still playing.

Tim Horton's in Canada is WAY better than their stores in the States. 

USA Hockey skill levels and Canadian hockey levels don't line up. My kid's team had a rough go at their tournament. Some big bastids in Bantam in Canada!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MTH said:

I was up in Toronto this past weekend. First time there since 2007. Holy hell the city is built up! Felt like I was in a futuristic city when I drove in on the highway. Every building was 40 stories tall and covered in green glass. WTF?

I managed to stop at Canadian Tire for the first time in my life. Not too shabby. Finally saw their infamous gear selection in person. They did have some Sher Wood 9950 sticks that were Canadian made. I would have grabbed two if I was still playing.

Tim Horton's in Canada is WAY better than their stores in the States. 

USA Hockey skill levels and Canadian hockey levels don't line up. My kid's team had a rough go at their tournament. Some big bastids in Bantam in Canada!

How fucking bad is Timmy's in the states? 

It's downright bad here too. 

Edited by coopaloop1234

Glad to hear that Toronto is progressing. Here in Chicago's Loop (downtown) things are still in the toilet since the pandemic and the unrest during the summer in 2021. Office buildings are at about 50% occupancy, public transportation use is at about 45% pre pandemic, and restaurants on the ground levels have fled with broken windows still boarded up. Homeless (or "unresidented") folks are sleeping in empty doorways to a larger degree than before the pandemic. Throw in a rash of carjackings/robberies and the Blackhawks being a mens league team, Chicago is thriving....yikes.

On 1/19/2023 at 6:00 PM, Fullright said:

Glad to hear that Toronto is progressing. Here in Chicago's Loop (downtown) things are still in the toilet since the pandemic and the unrest during the summer in 2021. Office buildings are at about 50% occupancy, public transportation use is at about 45% pre pandemic, and restaurants on the ground levels have fled with broken windows still boarded up. Homeless (or "unresidented") folks are sleeping in empty doorways to a larger degree than before the pandemic. Throw in a rash of carjackings/robberies and the Blackhawks being a mens league team, Chicago is thriving....yikes.

Sounds like it's becoming the real Gotham City as shown in the Dark Knight movies (that were awesome). Sorry the city is in bad shape. Seems like development comes in waves. Philly for a long time was sketchy in the downtown and all. Now there are tall buildings popping up like weeds all over the place. I work for the DOT and working on rebuilding I-95 through the city. We have public meetings where we discuss the work. They are overrun with new residents that bought a million dollar spot right next to the interstate. Now they come to the meeting and ask what we're doing about the noise and are amazed that it was so busy on I-95 through a major city. We also are working on the highway, forever, so they ask when we'll be done (NEVER!).

On 1/19/2023 at 1:11 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

How fucking bad is Timmy's in the states? 

It's downright bad here too. 

There aren't many. More in the northern states I guess. I've hit a few in upper PA, NY and in Maine. Dunkin Donuts has the country covered. So most go there like you guys do Tim Horton's. The Tims here are typically part of another store and not stand alone. Shitty gas station mega store. So they use the name and half ass make the crap. Why I was pleasantly surprised it was actually good and fresh. I hit a few between Niagra and St. Catharine's and they all were pretty good. I get it now. Also, there were about one per corner in that section of Ontario...

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Thought you were retired. 

Tim Brown doesn't want Tom Brady to join Raiders: He is starting to show  how old he is and his inability to move | Marca

Old friends needed a goalie for a beginner league. It's been rough to play again. I'll be 46 in two weeks (like Brady) and haven't been on a team since 2019.

My wife may want to divorce me too. Actually she told me I needed to play (translation - go get in shape fat boy)

Game 1 - I got beat for just one goal on a breakaway in the first minute. Gear was hurtin. My cup elastic was gone so I had to make it work. I fell twice catching edges. Forgot a water bottle and forgot to tape my sticks. Rink allowed all of a minute warm up - so I was in prime shape. Also was just getting through a cold so I couldn't really exert myself too long without coughing my head off.

Game 2 - last night - New CCM cup was nice. I played well for 2 periods. Got beat on a breakaway again right off the opening face off. Let in 5 goals with two on breakaways. One nice deflection out of the air. One I made a simple blocker save and rather than push it into the corner like I've done a million times, it fell to my feet and someone knocked it in. Last one I fumbled trying to get my pad down against the post for rvh.

Soreness sneaks in quickly late in the game. Legs get stiff and pushing off for slides is really hard. Brain says go but my legs are not listening anymore.

I debate retirement again the whole third period.

Does Life Alert make a unit for goalies?

The MST3K Project — Short: Last Clear Chance I was gonna begin...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MTH said:

Tim Brown doesn't want Tom Brady to join Raiders: He is starting to show  how old he is and his inability to move | Marca

Old friends needed a goalie for a beginner league. It's been rough to play again. I'll be 46 in two weeks (like Brady) and haven't been on a team since 2019.

My wife may want to divorce me too. Actually she told me I needed to play (translation - go get in shape fat boy)

Game 1 - I got beat for just one goal on a breakaway in the first minute. Gear was hurtin. My cup elastic was gone so I had to make it work. I fell twice catching edges. Forgot a water bottle and forgot to tape my sticks. Rink allowed all of a minute warm up - so I was in prime shape. Also was just getting through a cold so I couldn't really exert myself too long without coughing my head off.

Game 2 - last night - New CCM cup was nice. I played well for 2 periods. Got beat on a breakaway again right off the opening face off. Let in 5 goals with two on breakaways. One nice deflection out of the air. One I made a simple blocker save and rather than push it into the corner like I've done a million times, it fell to my feet and someone knocked it in. Last one I fumbled trying to get my pad down against the post for rvh.

Soreness sneaks in quickly late in the game. Legs get stiff and pushing off for slides is really hard. Brain says go but my legs are not listening anymore.

I debate retirement again the whole third period.

Does Life Alert make a unit for goalies?

The MST3K Project — Short: Last Clear Chance I was gonna begin...

Welcome back dude. Enjoy the feeling of being too old. You know you missed it. 

• Like 3

Saw some bits and pieces of it. The golf and water dunk things were strange but I suppose the purpose is to get more folks into the sport. Saw a headline somewhere that Hasek bitched about Ovi's little boy being on the ice. 

Havent seen a "good" all star game since 99 lite up Lindbergh w 4 goals. Felt sorry for Pelle then....I think it was his first all star game and he seemed to expect better D.

3 hours ago, Lucky Pucker said:

Are we NOT talking about the All Star weekend…? My kid insisted on seeing Suzuki - which I respect - but there was some nice goalie style. Thompson’s gear was a pretty sweet match for what was otherwise almost universally determined to be an absolute abortion of a jersey design…

EBEDD57E-0B74-43D4-A454-C0B8E0F08E33.jpeg

I found most of the gear to look incredibly boring, aside from Shesty’s Brian’s setup.  Hellebuyck’s was the worst- all white with a tiny sliver of baby blue and pink on the outer roll-ooo how exciting.  

Sarros and Skinner were in their regular CCM setups, so I’m assuming CCM couldn’t even be bothered to give their pros some sweet gear for the ASG.  

1CF493C6-F561-48E8-AD4A-A9DF87FD2FFD.thumb.jpeg.aeaff860769d39dcd5b8e1a2a8e615cf.jpeg

Edited by jerd31
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, jerd31 said:

I found most of the gear to look incredibly boring, aside from Shesty’s Brian’s setup.  Hellebuyck’s was the worst- all white with a tiny sliver of baby blue and pink on the outer roll-ooo how exciting.  

Sarros and Skinner were in their regular CCM setups, so I’m assuming CCM couldn’t even be bothered to give their pros some sweet gear for the ASG.  

1CF493C6-F561-48E8-AD4A-A9DF87FD2FFD.thumb.jpeg.aeaff860769d39dcd5b8e1a2a8e615cf.jpeg

FFS… can’t believe I forgot this set (def my fav form the weekend). Love Shesterkin, love Brian’s… total fail on my part 😞

I’m probably going to get kicked out of the Brian’s fan club for this

We watched a few minutes of it while standing in the lobby of the rink. Every parent gave their WTF speech when they came into the lobby. The boards are now a video screen. Was a circus when they scored every 10 seconds.

Get off my lawn!