Warrior Curve / Pattern / Lie - Quick vs Bishop vs Mrazek

Zip

1 minute ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I've been using the Quick curve for ever. I'm never one for sailing the puck, but I'm very consistent with tape to tape passes along the ice inside my own zone.

Just picked up a Wedge curve, so once my current stick backs out, I'll be giving a different curve for the first time in 5 years.

Wedge is Mrazek.  That's what I have been using for a while until @seagoal hooked me up with a Bishop/twist.

Just now, SaveByRichter35 said:

Wedge is Mrazek.  That's what I have been using for a while until @seagoal hooked me up with a Bishop/twist.

Yea I know. I just hate typing out Mrazek.

I'm looking forward to it. We'll be able to see if my ability to sauce the biscuit is stick related or skill related. I have this good feeling that it's due to my own incompetence.

Though, if I just worked on my skills instead of always thinking it's gear related, I wouldn't be a goalie.

8 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Yea I know. I just hate typing out Mrazek.

I'm looking forward to it. We'll be able to see if my ability to sauce the biscuit is stick related or skill related. I have this good feeling that it's due to my own incompetence.

Though, if I just worked on my skills instead of always thinking it's gear related, I wouldn't be a goalie.

Oh its definitely not the gear.

6 minutes ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I don't recall anything ever going up and over me into the net if that's what you mean.

Yeah, basically anytime the puck gains elevation after contact.  It mostly happens if the stick is touching the ice too far in front of our skates, but I figured the more wedgey the curve of the stick the more likely it will be to ramp up.

Edited by seagoal

1 minute ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, basically anytime the picks gains elevation after contact.  It mostly happens if the stick is touching the ice too far in front of our skates, but I figured the more wedgey the curve of the stick the more likely it will be to ramp up.

I ramp it up to the glass/corners but never into the net.

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Yeah, basically anytime the puck gains elevation after contact.  It mostly happens if the stick is touching the ice too far in front of our skates, but I figured the more wedgey the curve of the stick the more likely it will be to ramp up.

Apologies if I'm reading this wrong, but we should not be directing pucks with the curved portion of the blade.

Proper technique is to have the puck hit the flat part where the paddle meets the blade.  You want to position the stick with a slight backward angle to encourage puck elevation.  We shouldn't be jabbing at the puck either, accept it, ramp it into the glass and reset.

A few reasons why -

• Maximizes energy transfer so you can cleanly direct it into/over the glass (blocker arm should be strong on the stick to minimize energy loss on impact)
  • Minimizes bad puck luck with an unlucky bounce off the blade or twisting the stick on a hard enough shot.  You have most torque/control/influence of your stick directly under your grip and less so as the point of impact moves further out towards the toe of the blade.
  • More consistency taking it off the flat part when compared to shots off the curve
  • Encourages good head/eye tracking so you are tracking down on the puck
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Apologies if I'm reading this wrong, but we should not be directing pucks with the curved portion of the blade.

Proper technique is to have the puck hit the flat part where the paddle meets the blade.  You want to position the stick with a slight backward angle to encourage puck elevation.  We shouldn't be jabbing at the puck either, accept it, ramp it into the glass and reset.

A few reasons why -

• Maximizes energy transfer so you can cleanly direct it into/over the glass (blocker arm should be strong on the stick to minimize energy loss on impact)
  • Minimizes bad puck luck with an unlucky bounce off the blade or twisting the stick on a hard enough shot.  You have most torque/control/influence of your stick directly under your grip and less so as the point of impact moves further out towards the toe of the blade.
  • More consistency taking it off the flat part when compared to shots off the curve
  • Encourages good head/eye tracking so you are tracking down on the puck

No worries.

I think you're talking about intentional redirections off to the sides. 

What I meant by a ramp-up was unintentional elevation gains after executing a save poorly.  Think a low shot, symmetrical butterfly with stick in front.....oops.  What should have been an easy stick save + cover ended up being a mistake because it ramped-up, potentially into a goal. 

Just now, seagoal said:

No worries.

I think you're talking about intentional redirections off to the sides. 

What I meant by a ramp-up was unintentional elevation gains after executing a save poorly.  Think a low shot, symmetrical butterfly with stick in front.....oops.  What should have been an easy stick save + cover ended up being a mistake because it ramped-up, potentially into a goal. 

Oh yes, ramp ups happen all the time with sloppy stick positioning with any stick IMO, and I can see how a wedge curve is particularly problematic

Body discipline has more to do with it than stick pattern. 

Older butterfly save technique was to drop down with your shoulders in line with your hips and knees to eliminate vertical space.  This has the unintentional side effect of encouraging the goalie to play on their heels, which in turn encourages stick shots to ramp up.

The idea these days is to get some forward lean in the hips, gloves forward, eyes and shoulders down over the puck to eliminate ramp ups.  Profile from the side should look like a wave cresting over the puck

Trip report – I've ended doing a cheap experiment which was to get a couple of the new lower end V2E+ sticks, one with a Mrazek and one with a Bishop curve.

I've found that the Bishop (for me) is easier to play the puck with as I have a bit of a pull > push motion with the stick as I pull the pull the puck into the curve before shooting so the bit of extra curve of the toe seems to help with that compared to the more open face on the Mrazek.

Now to work out if I prefer the M1 or V2 line of sticks... 😂 😂

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 6:39 AM, Zip said:

Trip report – I've ended doing a cheap experiment which was to get a couple of the new lower end V2E+ sticks, one with a Mrazek and one with a Bishop curve.

I've found that the Bishop (for me) is easier to play the puck with as I have a bit of a pull > push motion with the stick as I pull the pull the puck into the curve before shooting so the bit of extra curve of the toe seems to help with that compared to the more open face on the Mrazek.

Now to work out if I prefer the M1 or V2 line of sticks... 😂 😂

I've still yet to try an M stick.

• 1 year later...
  • 11 months later...

Ok, coming back to this, the last few posts about the puck ramping up...

I'm currently using a JRZ PP31 and I do get quite a few ramps up into my glove in my butterfly. I've moved back down to a 25" from a 26" so it's not a length issue. I don't poke at the puck when shot, only intentional poke checks on passes or dekes or rebounds. I like the Quick blade because of the statements made of total blade/ice contact. Like @SaveByRichter35, I prefer a slight sauce or hard tape to tape pass. I can count more times I fanned on a puck compared to clearing pucks off the glass :P 

I think the issue is more on the toe twist of the blade. I'm no Turco or Brodeur and doubt I'll ever get there.

What of squared toe vs rounded one for close puck handling or deking (?spell) ?

5 hours ago, RichMan said:

Ok, coming back to this, the last few posts about the puck ramping up...

I'm currently using a JRZ PP31 and I do get quite a few ramps up into my glove in my butterfly. I've moved back down to a 25" from a 26" so it's not a length issue. I don't poke at the puck when shot, only intentional poke checks on passes or dekes or rebounds. I like the Quick blade because of the statements made of total blade/ice contact. Like @SaveByRichter35, I prefer a slight sauce or hard tape to tape pass. I can count more times I fanned on a puck compared to clearing pucks off the glass :P 

I think the issue is more on the toe twist of the blade. I'm no Turco or Brodeur and doubt I'll ever get there.

What of squared toe vs rounded one for close puck handling or deking (?spell) ?

The (W32) Mid curve works more effectively on a heel-to-toe loaded pass. Given this is how I was taught to pass as a kid and the curve I grew up primarily using, this was much more natural thought process for me. I probably use this curve better, but have been forcing myself to learn otherwise.

With the (W33) Twist curve, loading the stick with the puck roughly in the middle of the blade for a pass prior to loading the stick, regardless of kick point, has worked rather well in getting precise saucer passes in my experiences. I've come around to liking to use this curve and its rockered blade in net significantly more as it allows more room for nuance in having the blade on the ice and the minutia of adjusting one's wrist or arm for playing in-tight game situations. Additionally I've found the curve to make it easier to elevate the puck to get it off the glass or rim around the zone.

I've probably voiced my opinion on V versus M series sticks, but I'll do it again in a concise form: I prefer playing the puck with M series sticks, I prefer making saves with V series sticks. The ease of loading a lower quick point M series stick allows for snappier and swifter passes; the vibration dampening (VIBEX) in the V series sticks helps a lot with controlling rebounds for people that can crank a howitzer, provides better rigidity for in tight saves, and gives consistency when passing since it is a stiffer profile.

That said, I want to try an M series stick again. I only got to try a W32 with the M series stick, I'd love to try it with the W33.

Looking through the tread I saw Kolzig. I had a Kolzig stick was back and an Itech Johnzon that I liked. And the CCM Heaton sticks were awesome. Loved those. Never put out the cash for a G10. 

I'm curious about this, is there someone that decides whose name will be used on sticks? How does all that work?