Brians Snr 5.0 Gnetik gear in the KHL - Barry Brust??

raucebyalien

At the start of last season I was watching a Slovan Bratislava (KHL) game and did a double take as their goalie at the time Barry Brust looked like he was wearing a set of stock vintage Gnetik 5.0's. Being the 2nd best pro league in the world, I automatically figured I was mistaken and he'd just got pads in a similar colourway, but a couple of things backed my suspicions; firstly the glove was almost immediately gone and replaced by a stock looking white Bauer, then after a week or so the entire set was gone and replaced by one of the stock bucky / cream retro Gnetik pro 2 sets.

Digging out a few pictures it looks like at least the gloves were actually the 5.0 stuff (5.0 series logo beneath the Gnetik logo, black and white 'designed in Canada' logo) and pads possibly as they have stock sizing on the side of the boot and appear to have the silver weave on the underside of the boot like the other Brians snr gear. First time I've seen a goalie at a high level use snr level gear - only other time I can recall seeing a pro goalie wearing snr gear was in the UK elite league around the time of the Rbk P1's, one of the more cash-strapped teams had their starter in the snr version of P1's (9k's?).

Anyways, I thought I'd post it up here in the Brians forum rather than the gear section as I figured someone is bound to know the story behind this - team cheaping out, equipment manager buying the wrong stuff etc!

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 01.12.22.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 01.16.25.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-01 at 01.35.37.png

Barry just joined Freiburg-Gotteron this year (Swiss team near me) when Reto Berra backed out and stayed in the NHL. From what I hear Barry is a bit of an oddball who marches to his own beat. So it wouldn't surprise me if he's wearing "SR" gear instead of "PRO" in the KHL. Probably grabbed some stuff off the shelf and was like "Yea sure, why not". In reality, so many goalies (pro and not) are real primadonnas with their gear, requiring certain color stitching, blahblahblah.... (lookin at you Sparks ;) )Wearing off-the-shelf stuff in the KHL...and Senior gear at that...would prove a great point... :) ...Barry is the anti-Sparks:headbang:

2 hours ago, estogoalie said:

From what I hear Barry is a bit of an oddball who marches to his own beat.

Haha that was one of my thoughts too! He's one of the last pro goalies with hefty dose of old school mixed in and definitely has his quirks - tapping his stick against his pads like crazy prior to face offs etc.

These days snr is so close pro stuff (glove aside) that I suppose the only big difference is the long term longevity.

3 hours ago, raucebyalien said:

Haha that was one of my thoughts too! He's one of the last pro goalies with hefty dose of old school mixed in and definitely has his quirks - tapping his stick against his pads like crazy prior to face offs etc.

These days snr is so close pro stuff (glove aside) that I suppose the only big difference is the long term longevity.

That's about it really. There are some minor performance/protection improvements, but the majority of the difference is the life expectancy out of the gear. 

Playing as often as pros do, that gear will break down a lot quicker than for most of us. But just for playing, I'm sure many of the senior lines are satisfactory enough for the short term.

Slovakia is not as Canada. I dont´t know how many pro shops with good selection there is in Bratislava. I would be worried if he used NetZero gear, 5.0 pads cost over 1000€ in Europe. Maybe he needed quickly some gear before his custom set arrived and like that vintage look. There was some delivery problems with Brian´s a year ago. Brian Zapolski had to use in KHL his previous season gear in the  pre-season and first games. 

Archived