Mental Health: take care of yourself (a cautionary tale)

bunnyman666

Hope you find solace soon. Have you considered a job/career change? I know you used to be in the composite/cycling field. I know it's a very competitive field and expensive and with the Chinese knock offs that are cheaper yet questionable in durability and safety...

Anyways, I'm sure you'll find the right solution for you :)

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, RichMan said:

Hope you find solace soon. Have you considered a job/career change? I know you used to be in the composite/cycling field. I know it's a very competitive field and expensive and with the Chinese knock offs that are cheaper yet questionable in durability and safety...

Anyways, I'm sure you'll find the right solution for you :)

Thanks for the kind words.

Cycling was an avocation. But it became super un-fun when you had to worry about the contract factory you had an agreement with stealing your work and selling a cut-rate version of your stuff. I mainly did R&D, and offered very few products. I would easily go back to R&D in a HEARTBEAT. 

I am in the HIGHLY competitive mortgage field. It’s a good thing they offer complimentary short-term disability insurance as I have needed to use it several times.

I will figure it out. I have told several that I need the tools to handle stress as I could switch from Voldemort to Darth Vader in the next job!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The constant concept in mental health is to stay in the present. Don’t dwell on the past, and don’t stew on the future. This also applies to goaltending, as you need not focus on the last save or the goal against and you certainly should NOT anticipate what could happen as it is unfolding right in front of you. Be in the moment, focus on the current play wherever it may be.  Who knows what will happen? Each time you play is a unique event, the way it unfolds is never the same way twice, even with the same players on the same teams in the same rink. The game will be over for a lot longer than it went on.  

I play the game like this. The only times in my sporting life that I ended up thinking too much of the past was when I was trying to make my mark in qualifying for a Powerman Duathlon. Despite being in the best shape of my life, I DNF’d and retired promptly when I realised that I went as far as I could go. That led to a funk, but the pressure was lifted. I could ride my bike and run for fun with no bearing on what could happen in the future. Life should be played more like a hockey game: being in the present is most important. This is the lesson I am trying to learn. Whilst the past can shape our present, the present is our opportunity to shape the future. Be here NOW. 

For anyone struggling: many of us are in the same boat. Take that first step and see a professional. 

Edited by bunnyman666

• 1 month later...