Skate sharpening thread

RichMan

58 minutes ago, Puckstopper said:

I've never adjusted hollow due to radius, but I did get off the SAM radius and back onto a NoIcing triple radius as quickly as possible after trying SAM on a set of Tyden blades.  I had the same issue you did, just couldn't grab an edge confidently. 

Are you a toe or full blade pusher?

I had the same issue with the SAM, ended up writing them off due to the short front radius (10' IIRC) as I could not grab an edge off the toe to save my life. I never thought to try to push off the mid blade where the 50mm flat is

I'm in a 24/28' now that seems more of an all-weather blade setup

3 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

If you're having issues sliding around the crease, your pads may be getting stuck in the puddles around you.  Scraping up your crease is going to create more ice shavings which will melt down into water.

So yeah I think this is what happened, I did the goalie dance in the beginning to shave down the imperfections, but it seems like it made things worse and I had trouble in the first 10min. Things eventually got better a bit.

So next game basically, don't scrape the ice, swat out the water as much as possible, don't go down for shots during warmups in the crease, warm up going down near the boards.

2 hours ago, johncho said:

So yeah I think this is what happened, I did the goalie dance in the beginning to shave down the imperfections, but it seems like it made things worse and I had trouble in the first 10min. Things eventually got better a bit.

So next game basically, don't scrape the ice, swat out the water as much as possible, don't go down for shots during warmups in the crease, warm up going down near the boards.

Shovel the water to key shooting positions in the zone to impede puck handling and shooting

Big Eyes Reaction GIF by Bounce

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Are you a toe or full blade pusher?

I had the same issue with the SAM, ended up writing them off due to the short front radius (10' IIRC) as I could not grab an edge off the toe to save my life. I never thought to try to push off the mid blade where the 50mm flat is

I'm in a 24/28' now that seems more of an all-weather blade setup

Definitely more of a toe pusher.   I'm using their 15/20/28 combo and it is by far the best setup I've tried.   More agility than the dual radius but still plenty of power to get across. 

I'm really interested to try the new Konnekt skates and see if I can get more of the blade on the ice than I do now. 

17 hours ago, Chenner29 said:

Shovel the water to key shooting positions in the zone to impede puck handling and shooting

Big Eyes Reaction GIF by Bounce

I may or may not make a habit of finishing my water bottle a couple feet in front of my crease prior to shootouts.   Not my fault if I'm drinking it quickly and it gets everywhere...

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2022 at 11:22 AM, Puckstopper said:

I may or may not make a habit of finishing my water bottle a couple feet in front of my crease prior to shootouts.   Not my fault if I'm drinking it quickly and it gets everywhere...

I always shove all of my snow shavings into the back of the net.  Somehow they all end up in the slot right before shootouts.  Its the strangest thing.

2 hours ago, SaveByRichter35 said:

I always shove all of my snow shavings into the back of the net.  Somehow they all end up in the slot right before shootouts.  Its the strangest thing.

Easy answer, you're moving so fast in the crease it creates a suction effect and pulls all that snow into the slot

• Haha 1

• 10 months later...

@Puckstopper Are you still on the 15/20/28 profile?  Thoughts?

@Chenner29 Are you still on the 24/28 profile?  Thoughts?

I had been using the 20/32 for a while.  Switched to the SAM for the past 2 years.  It's been ok.  Just bought some NOS Tydans with a CAG 60/120 already on them.  Excited to try them out, but curious about others experiences.  

9 minutes ago, Hockey37 said:

I had been using the 20/32 for a while.  Switched to the SAM for the past 2 years.  It's been ok.  Just bought some NOS Tydans with a CAG 60/120 already on them.  Excited to try them out, but curious about others experiences.  

Yeah, I haven't thought about changing my profile in a while. 

Wishy washy on the SAM.  I had it put on my Konekts for the couple weeks I had them and it seemed to work really well with those skates.  Not so much on my one piece Trues.  Didn't like the short front profile as I'm a toe pusher. 

Good luck with the CAGs.  You'll have unreal stability and pushes but they will feel like skis.  Maybe get them cut a little shallower than you're used to.  SAM has a 50mm flat spot, that CAG has 120 so more than double lol

21 hours ago, Hockey37 said:

Still staying with it.   I'm not opposed to experimenting if anything interesting comes along, but I love the mobility of the 15/20/28.  I suspect I'd love it even more if I went from True to Konnekt, as I'd have an easier time engaging the heel. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I won't lie, I actually do not want to filter through every page to see if it was brought up or not. So sue me.

We all know that you can get a 1/2 or a 5/8 or a 3/4, etc when you bring your skates in for sharpening. One thing I've noticed and I take some responsibility for it is that they don't ask if you have 4mm or 3mm blades. My skates are Vapor X700 but with a custom 4mm blade. 

I'm pretty confident that the hollows are not equal numbers from 4mm to 3mm, 1/2 can't necessarily be the same for both width...right?

1 hour ago, RichMan said:

I won't lie, I actually do not want to filter through every page to see if it was brought up or not. So sue me.

We all know that you can get a 1/2 or a 5/8 or a 3/4, etc when you bring your skates in for sharpening. One thing I've noticed and I take some responsibility for it is that they don't ask if you have 4mm or 3mm blades. My skates are Vapor X700 but with a custom 4mm blade. 

I'm pretty confident that the hollows are not equal numbers from 4mm to 3mm, 1/2 can't necessarily be the same for both width...right?

That is true. 1/2 on 4mm is equivalent to 3/8 on 3mm, or so I heard. 

The hollow is the same, but the 1mm of difference in the steel results in a difference in feel.   Generally speaking you want to start about 1/8" deeper when transitioning from 4mm to 3mm, and the reverse if going the other direction.  Even with that there's quite a bit of adjustment due to the difference in feel, but most goalies make the switch fully after a couple hours of ice time.

What most people DON'T do, that I'm a big advocate of, is backing the hollow back down after the initial switch.   Say you go from 5/8" on 4mm down to 1/2" on 3.   Try a 9/16" after getting comfortable on 1/2", leave it for a couple sharpenings, and then try 5/8".   Some people can go back to their old hollow that way and shuffle easier.   Others can't, but for the price of a couple sharpenings it's worth trying to dial in.

The final piece of the puzzle is the skates themselves.   You're in an X700 (flexible boot, so needs a deeper ROH) with 4mm steel (easy to grab and maintain an edge on, so you can shallow your ROH slightly).   If you were to go to a stiffer boot, you'd actually want to go shallower in ROH for your sharpening.   So, hypothetically speaking you buy True TF9's and decide to try the 3mm steel instead of sourcing 4mm.   For this example, I'm going to assume your preferred ROH is 1/2".   For the steel, I'd recommend trying 3/8".  However, making the jump from an X700 boot to a TF9, I'd probably be encouraging you to go between 5/8" and 3/4" for ROH.   Combine the two and I'd put you in either a 5/8" cut or a 7/16" cut if jumping to 5/8" made you nervous.   The boot is the bigger adjustment for sure.

Edited by Puckstopper
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Puckstopper said:

The hollow is the same, but the 1mm of difference in the steel results in a difference in feel.   Generally speaking you want to start about 1/8" deeper when transitioning from 4mm to 3mm, and the reverse if going the other direction.  Even with that there's quite a bit of adjustment due to the difference in feel, but most goalies make the switch fully after a couple hours of ice time.

What most people DON'T do, that I'm a big advocate of, is backing the hollow back down after the initial switch.   Say you go from 5/8" on 4mm down to 1/2" on 3.   Try a 9/16" after getting comfortable on 1/2", leave it for a couple sharpenings, and then try 5/8".   Some people can go back to their old hollow that way and shuffle easier.   Others can't, but for the price of a couple sharpenings it's worth trying to dial in.

The final piece of the puzzle is the skates themselves.   You're in an X700 (flexible boot, so needs a deeper ROH) with 4mm steel (easy to grab and maintain an edge on, so you can shallow your ROH slightly).   If you were to go to a stiffer boot, you'd actually want to go shallower in ROH for your sharpening.   So, hypothetically speaking you buy True TF9's and decide to try the 3mm steel instead of sourcing 4mm.   For this example, I'm going to assume your preferred ROH is 1/2".   For the steel, I'd recommend trying 3/8".  However, making the jump from an X700 boot to a TF9, I'd probably be encouraging you to go between 5/8" and 3/4" for ROH.   Combine the two and I'd put you in either a 5/8" cut or a 7/16" cut if jumping to 5/8" made you nervous.   The boot is the bigger adjustment for sure.

Bones.png