Why do you feel every shot when you’re having a great game?!?

Where the heck is this going?!? Well, my vaunted 1X was actually the worst part of my game yesterday! Yes, the rink was pretty bloody hot! Pucks bounced so much, it felt like I was playing basketball!!! And when the puck didn’t bounce on the ice, it bounced from my chesty!  Weirdly enough, I actually enjoy bouncy hockey LOL 

The 1X is the most protective ready to play in unit ever. But with that, it never gets past a point of break in. Very bizarre and strange stuff. 

Plus, I felt shots. No stingers and nothing that I even had to shake off, but I would feel the shot and helplessly watch it fly in the strangest of manners. I had a few rebounds that resulted in goals I really wanted back, as with more traditional chesties, I could have caught the rebounds. 

I have had a Factory Mad modded Reebok P2 waiting in the wings for the last year and a half. I have played in it, but in essence, I kept reaching for the Vapor. 

I am going to try and stand pat with not changing the Vapor right now, but this is the second ice session that I felt shots and some of those weird bounces resulted in goals I *should* have prevented. In the end, that was on me. 

Any users of the 1X here? Any suggestions on absorbing shots better?

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, bildeer said:

I think it is just one of the many occupational hazards of this trade. One of the first shots I took to my 2400 Russian spec was a freak shot off the forearm that actually hurt. Haven't had it happen since.

I felt a shot Sunday in my P2. I poke checked a guy (which made him fly) and he aimed up high on purpose, hitting me in the floater. It wasn’t a true stinger as there was no bruising. I had a pretty crap game Sunday as I was just missing shots to the 5 hole. Kinda frustrating. I like feeling the puck if I can absorb it and prevent the rebound. A teeny bit of pain isn’t terrible as long as I don’t have to shake it off. 

If it's any conciliation, I'm using a fairly worn-in TGC spec RBK Premier and I do feel shots pretty much anywhere...and I'm playing so poorly right now compared to what I was before the pandemic that I'm really embarrassed about it. The team I got on is shit for defence in all ways imaginable and I have to step up my game to "super hero" mode if we want to win some before the real season starts in September. 

11 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

I felt a shot Sunday in my P2. I poke checked a guy (which made him fly) and he aimed up high on purpose, hitting me in the floater. It wasn’t a true stinger as there was no bruising. I had a pretty crap game Sunday as I was just missing shots to the 5 hole. Kinda frustrating. I like feeling the puck if I can absorb it and prevent the rebound. A teeny bit of pain isn’t terrible as long as I don’t have to shake it off. 

Yeah, that is how I feel about C/A's. As long as it doesn't really hurt, I'm good. Frequency of hard shots plays a big part in it. Over the years moving up in age groups and eventually college, I found that the shots haven't gotten any harder for the most part, but the frequency of those hard shots have gone up significantly.  I have a THS spec Vaughn Ve8 that  I used for about 8 months at that level before the shots to the arms got really annoying. 

These days, I don't even try to stop the puck, it just happens. Read the situation and react accordingly. Experience and recognizing patterns can make differences in skill less drastic. When I first started playing with the big boys (18-25 year old college guys who formerly played at the prep school and junior levels) The only thing that saved me was that I knew what they were going to do before they did it, and knew that the only thing that changed was the speed of the game. Do this and you will find that positioning yourself and reading the situation in front of you is the hardest part of this occupation, and that the save is the natural result of this process.

Edited by bildeer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, bildeer said:

Yeah, that is how I feel about C/A's. As long as it doesn't really hurt, I'm good. Frequency of hard shots plays a big part in it. Over the years moving up in age groups and eventually college, I found that the shots haven't gotten any harder for the most part, but the frequency of those hard shots have gone up significantly.  I have a THS spec Vaughn Ve8 that  I used for about 8 months at that level before the shots to the arms got really annoying. 

These days, I don't even try to stop the puck, it just happens. Read the situation and react accordingly. Experience and recognizing patterns can make differences in skill less drastic. When I first started playing with the big boys (18-25 year old college guys who formerly played at the prep school and junior levels) The only thing that saved me was that I knew what they were going to do before they did it, and knew that the only thing that changed was the speed of the game. Do this and you will find that positioning yourself and reading the situation in front of you is the hardest part of this occupation, and that the save is the natural result of this process.

My puck tracking skills are suspect LOL

You are 100% right about the speed of the game changing.

• Like 1