The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

Just now, The Teal Terror said:

I’m with you in that one @seagoal. Apart from leather straps, I agree on everything. 

I then enquire with my old dealer, some time back, to see what’s new and I couldn’t help but feel like an old man with all this new type of toe bridges, strapping, thigh/knee protection, different materials for the sliding area of the pads etc!

For sure.  Don't get me wrong...I'm pretty caught up and modern head to toe right now, even with that unpopular V word on my gear.  I use all those things you just listed. 

I even have a Verbero padded shirt coming to me as we speak.  How's that for cool kids points?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, seagoal said:

My response to those Bauer skates:

1) are those real?

2) no way in hell I would ever wear anything like that.

3)  I sound old

The ankle hinge dates back 50 years with Lange boots. Of course the straps across are an old idea. 

None of us have a pair in front of them (that I know about), but I can think of distinct advantages:

1) no more pulled eyelets from over-tightening in the heat form phase.

2) more mobility in the ankle without sacrificing stiffness in the boot

3) not having to punch for laces is a big time-saver for manufacturing.

The ankle hinge has appeared in Lange, Micron and Bauer boots over the last 50 years. There is a definite reason why it has appeared again: a distinct lack of ankle flexibility in the modern boot. It doesn’t look like we will have many leather boot choices in the future.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

The ankle hinge dates back 50 years with Lange boots. Of course the straps across are an old idea. 

None of us have a pair in front of them (that I know about), but I can think of distinct advantages:

The ankle hinge has appeared in Lange, Micron and Bauer boots over the last 50 years. There is a definite reason why it has appeared again: a distinct lack of ankle flexibility in the modern boot. It doesn’t look like we will have many leather boot choices in the future.

Do you think this could also lead the way for custom boot liners... similar to ski boots? Instead of custom molded boot & footbed manufacturers could have more of a stock boot size offering in which you put a custom liner to wrap around your entire foot taking into account comfort around the strapping points.

On 10/4/2021 at 10:57 PM, Chenner29 said:

Wonder what the little pouch on the back of the chesty is for

C for...cocaine?

The pouch is for his cigarettes.

Earl Weaver style.

The 1971 Orioles: Daily Report on Twitter: "Longtime #Orioles fans know Earl  Weaver was a compulsive and nervous smoker. Not everyone knows Earl had a  special pocket sewn inside of his jerseys

Yes, he kept a pack inside a pouch in his uniform.

21 hours ago, seagoal said:

...not for a single second ever in my life playing hockey did I ever think anything like "I wish these laces on my skates didn't exist" or " I wish lacing up my skates was quicker or easier." So there is the practical side to this where I'm like....."but, why?  Since when are laces on skates a problem needing improvement?"

If they had auto tightening skates...

Back To The Future Shoes GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

They'd have something.

• Haha 2

On 10/4/2021 at 10:57 PM, Chenner29 said:

image.thumb.png.84d0c5096aebe8b830eddf5d5846e7f6.png

Wonder what the little pouch on the back of the chesty is for

C for...cocaine?

On 10/5/2021 at 3:38 AM, Nohtaram said:

For mic up I guess.

Pretty sure its for heart rate monitor or similar device... or at least the transponder for it. Teams benchmark players during camp for max output etc. and this way during practice they can see who is actually working vs. leaving some in the tank.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:

The economy version. Remember these?

Option B Velcro Hockey Skate Straps - Lace Style – Max-Performance Sports &  More

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, seagoal said:

For sure.  Don't get me wrong...I'm pretty caught up and modern head to toe right now, even with that unpopular V word on my gear.  I use all those things you just listed. 

I even have a Verbero padded shirt coming to me as we speak.  How's that for cool kids points?

Oooh the V word! When Niemi was with the Sharks, I had some of his pro stock sticks. When he swapped to Vaughn, I was tempted to get some more, but alas had plenty of the Sher-Woods left over.

3 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Do you think this could also lead the way for custom boot liners... similar to ski boots? Instead of custom molded boot & footbed manufacturers could have more of a stock boot size offering in which you put a custom liner to wrap around your entire foot taking into account comfort around the strapping points.

Definitely. 

Custom liners would be cheaper to build, for certain!

On 8/18/2021 at 4:54 PM, coopaloop1234 said:

It's really too bad than Aron Dell isn't a bonafide starter in the NHL.

He's got some amazing style.

Untitled.png.35dfa2964aa0b8fa189c3c5daf3afd6f.png

And Dell has been placed on waivers. 

Pros: chances are he's picked up by another team and we can see another instance of his style. 

Con: we still rarely see him in a NHL game. Pretty sure he's on his last legs for cracking a roster. 

57 minutes ago, MTH said:

Someone needs to do camouflage. Any type will do.  Not the Stomp stuff. Actual military style. Even in other colors.

CCM actually makes those as a jersey!

It's funny that you mention it as I took these pics a couple weeks ago and sent them to a coworker who I know is into hunting. He's talked about wanting a camouflage set of Bauers.

Camo.thumb.png.ed96756e19c67ff8ac7e4b8bcc735675.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ZeroGravitas said:

CCM actually makes those as a jersey!

It's funny that you mention it as I took these pics a couple weeks ago and sent them to a coworker who I know is into hunting. He's talked about wanting a camouflage set of Bauers.

Camo.thumb.png.ed96756e19c67ff8ac7e4b8bcc735675.png

You’re not gonna include pictures of the jerseys?

Edited by ThatCarGuy