The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

1 hour ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Always a bummer when another goalie changes gear from a company not heavily represented in the NHL to one of the companies everyone uses. I’m not saying CCM, True or Bauer are bad. It’s just boring when everyone wears the same thing. 

I'm a little bored seeing True on every NHL goalie, specifically because I know they're damn frustrating to get as a regular consumer.

19 hours ago, WillyGrips13 said:

Always a bummer when another goalie changes gear from a company not heavily represented in the NHL to one of the companies everyone uses. I’m not saying CCM, True or Bauer are bad. It’s just boring when everyone wears the same thing. 

I'm waiting for another TT moment when a pro will skate on with a different logo-less brand that isn't part of the NHL agreement. Last season's blank True users don't count, we all knew it was gonna happen anyways.

1 hour ago, Mike24 said:

I miss the days when there was a lot more brands in the show. 

I agree it’s boring when everyone is in the same thing. 

There is currently five different brands being used in the show. 

True, CCM, Bauer, Brians, and Vaughn. 

Granted two of them are the same gear but with a different name on it. 

The limited manufacturers in the NHL isn't just limited to goalies.

Hell, I miss guys wearing old gear. Nothing in the league is older than a few months.

No old ass helmets, favorite gloves dyed to match. New gear is game ready (which is cool) - but makes it boring.

5 hours ago, MTH said:

The limited manufacturers in the NHL isn't just limited to goalies.

Hell, I miss guys wearing old gear. Nothing in the league is older than a few months.

No old ass helmets, favorite gloves dyed to match. New gear is game ready (which is cool) - but makes it boring.

Those old Sher-Wood shoulder pads Chelios and company used to wear right :D 

image.jpeg.f506af9ed8121de17c38cf2c9ef42758.jpeg

On 11/12/2021 at 12:16 PM, Chenner29 said:

Anyone know what he's reading?

The 12 Days of hockey?

12 rolls of tape, 11 laces waxing, 10 sticks a carbon, 9 different jerseys, 8 masks a season, 7 pairs of floaters, 6 goal pads, 5 catch gloves, 4 blocker gloves, 3 cup rings, 2 pairs a pants and one crusty cup in a locker stall.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

22 hours ago, MTH said:

More shades of blue than the Dallas Cowboys home uniforms.

Happy to read that I'm not the only one annoyed by this, I mean the Cowboys.

But saying this, The Habs have (at least) 3 different shades of blue for the jersey stripes, pants/helmets and CH logo.

• Like 3

+1 on this. And why are their pants blue-ish instead of silver? Forever irritates me when I catch them on TV. Ridiculous. Then again - NOT a Cowboys fan.

28 minutes ago, chakal said:

Happy to read that I'm not the only one annoyed by this, I mean the Cowboys.

But saying this, The Habs have (at least) 3 different shades of blue for the jersey stripes, pants/helmets and CH logo.

23 hours ago, MTH said:

More shades of blue than the Dallas Cowboys home uniforms.

Bob Esche at the Alumni game Monday. Slightly bummed not wearing Eagle stuff:

Philadelphia Flyers Alumni goaltender Robert Esche tends net during... News  Photo - Getty Images

Also Neil Little still wearing his Brian's Phantoms gear:

Photos of the Flyers Alumni game

I didn't know the goalies for the orange team. Here's an obstructed view of one of them (Mike McKenna) behind Big E and Brand Marsh:

20211115-AMX-SPORTS-FLYERS-ALUMNI-GAME-BRINGS-PLAYERS-1-PHI

The goalie in the background is Mike McKenna. His Bauer printed pads looks cool:

Flyers Alumni Orange and Black game, Team Holmgrens Joffrey Lupul scores on Team Tocchets goalie Mike McKenna during the first period at the Wells Fargo Center in Philadelphia, Monday, November 15 2021.

They look like video game goal pads.

• Like 3

On 11/7/2021 at 11:14 AM, coopaloop1234 said:

There is currently five different brands being used in the show. 

True, CCM, Bauer, Brians, and Vaughn. 

Granted two of them are the same gear but with a different name on it. 

The pad is the core. To the best of my knowledge, True started with fresh cores post CCM.

Are EFlex and 12 series cousins? Yeah, but they are not the "same".

CCM is probably going to Bauer-esq in the market with technology. I would expect True to follow the classic Lefevre path of subtle tweaks and avoiding messing up something that works well

On 11/6/2021 at 4:16 PM, cuprajake said:

Do true pay their goalies

Yes, they do. I don't know exactly who is paid and who is not. Freddie and Helle are definitely formal endorsers of the product and getting paid. I don't have good insight past that.

Someone like Price might have a smaller deal because he's not in the stick and not featured in ads / social. Don't worry about Carey though, he probably has a Warrior stick deal

Someone like Murray might get like a free set of golf clubs through True's golf connections. This sort of "hook up" sounds small, but it works. I have heard reps pass out $5,000 gift cards to Lulu, Nike, or whatever as a thanks to lower value guys switching brands.

• Like 2