The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

19 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Wild Speculation?!? Sign me up.

"I'm certain that @BadAngle41 is so stuck on a 580 break because of too many shots to the head".

I’d disagree but I can’t remember why. 

Coincidentally I did just have another VTX crack on the chin… so while it did handle some heavy shots very well… I won’t be getting another. Debating Axis or the latest 960. 

12 minutes ago, BadAngle41 said:

I’d disagree but I can’t remember why. 

Coincidentally I did just have another VTX crack on the chin… so while it did handle some heavy shots very well… I won’t be getting another. Debating Axis or the latest 960. 

Brutal. I'm surprised your melon can fit all of those to consider them. I'm in a VTX as well and my head did not fit a 960 or a coveted. The CCM's and Warriors would be alright, but nowhere near as comfortable as the NME/VTX series.

I'm thankful my VTX holding up very well.

But I also duck. :giggle:

Edited by coopaloop1234

15 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Brutal. I'm surprised your melon can fit all of those to consider them. I'm in a VTX as well and my head did not fit a 960 or a coveted. The CCM's and Warriors would be alright, but nowhere near as comfortable as the NME/VTX series.

I'm thankful my VTX holding up very well.

But I also duck. :giggle:

I loved the mask and my head would usually be a profile shape… but went a size down and picked up a VTX. 
First VTX cracked in the chin… was under warranty so I got a replacement… then the replacement just cracked the weekend before Christmas in nearly exact same spot. 

960 is a known for me… Axis would be my first CCM mask. No downside to a 960… just sold out everywhere at the moment. Axis padding interests me. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

I loved the mask and my head would usually be a profile shape… but went a size down and picked up a VTX. 
First VTX cracked in the chin… was under warranty so I got a replacement… then the replacement just cracked the weekend before Christmas in nearly exact same spot. 

960 is a known for me… Axis would be my first CCM mask. No downside to a 960… just sold out everywhere at the moment. Axis padding interests me. 

960 if you can get it, after a year it's holding up great, padding as well. 

On 12/21/2021 at 2:47 PM, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Sorry @seagoal

A7D87718-E4F7-4F57-9191-CD94E73D671B.jpeg
Brand loyalty seems to have gone out the window the past few seasons. Guys who have been with a company forever are switching left and right

I don't have any brand loyalty. My helmet is Itech,  my stick is a Sher-Wood, all my protective stuff is Vaughn (chest protector, neck guard, jock), pads and gloves are Lefebvre (Reebok and CCM), my pants are CCM, and Nash makes my dangler.

I've also seen NHLers use one company for pads, and a different one for sticks (e.g. a Bauer stick with CCM pads and gloves). If I was a minor leaguer, I'd use whatever stuff works best for me, regardless of brand, unless my league has a specific equipment deal for goalies. There probably are other companies that NHLers use specifically for masks (Coveted, Hackva, SportMask).

Edited by ilyazhito

13 hours ago, BadAngle41 said:

Just to make sure, the NME VTX and 960 (whatever extension) are the same construction, just fitting different shapes of head?

I cannot fit my head inside Profile and the NME fits my head shape perfectly.

Not much about gear sitings anymore in this conversation, sorry! 🤪

4 hours ago, ArdeFIN said:

Just to make sure, the NME VTX and 960 (whatever extension) are the same construction, just fitting different shapes of head?

I cannot fit my head inside Profile and the NME fits my head shape perfectly.

Not much about gear sitings anymore in this conversation, sorry! 🤪

Shell construction and padding are different between Profile and NME. Fit obviously is as well. NME line being a more generous fit and Profile being intended for more narrow faces. 

Halak appears to be wearing what look like really customized pads. Leather boot strap, GN3tik X-strap on calf, knee rolls added, probably his trademark super stiff core, can't tell what else.

Edit: Noticed they even have lacing in the face and he's wearing an RXS mask (maybe said earlier this year already).

Edited by keeperton

7 hours ago, Scythe said:

A little late I suppose but anybody have pics of the winter classic gear? 

No pix, but I saw Talbot’s gear on NHL Network this morning. Kinda cool. A bit of a departure from the “let’s spec retro brown and be done with it”. Someone has pix somewhere. I am on a social media black out period right now or I’d have pix up. 

Edit: best pic I saw…

A46B8E72-8F00-4033-A943-26F70784295C.jpeg

Edited by bunnyman666
  • Like 2

Felt bad for Talbot. Looked like Kaapo K did the I'll be brown and done with it 😄. Bennington would've looked good in brown gear. 

That was the 3rd coldest pro game of all major sports played at -8 according to thier findings.  The ice seemed like it was miserable to negotiate, looked like they were on a sheet of diamond. 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Scythe said:

Felt bad for Talbot. Looked like Kaapo K did the I'll be brown and done with it 😄. Bennington would've looked good in brown gear. 

That was the 3rd coldest pro game of all major sports played at -8 according to thier findings.  The ice seemed like it was miserable to negotiate, looked like they were on a sheet of diamond. 

It’s kind of a cool departure, as far as Talbot’s gear. Do I like it? No. I generally don’t like the faux retro themes in general, especially with a team that has literally been in the league for 20 something years. And I am not really a fan of pad graphics in general. 

If you think about it, it’s kind of embarrassing that a team from the State of Hockey got their bums handed to them in an outdoor game. I know, the team members are not native to the towns the teams are in. But still- St. Louis beating the Minnesota Wild in an outdoor game in their “own” rink?!?

Binnington used an insulated bottle with chicken broth; maybe that was the difference…

6 hours ago, bunnyman666 said:If you think about it, it’s kind of embarrassing that a team from the State of Hockey got their bums handed to them in an outdoor game. I know, the team members are not native to the towns the teams are in. But still- St. Louis beating the Minnesota Wild in an outdoor game in their “own” rink?!?

I’m in a split house, my wife being from Chicago and my former StL minor league connections make things interesting. I couldn’t help turning to her and gloating that the Blues now have 2 more outdoor wins than the Blackhawks last night. 
OT semi-relevant engagement photo:

9FE763C9-D510-4898-AF12-345716B46695.jpeg

• Like 3

Pity that the Wild goalie didn't get some Christmas sweater pattern gear.

Is that 'knit face'?

They had it all over the stadium. His snow white pads looked odd with the brown shells and the gloves that were green and red. Not to mention that the Wild used off white for everything... the bright white was a bad call for pads.

Blues thrive in Winter Classic | Pro Hockey News

Or even some pine tree pads.

Edited by MTH

13 hours ago, A.YOUNGoalie13 said:

Then why would detroit’s management let him order them

I mean, the GM/President/Team Execs don't place gear orders, the EQM does and probably didn't clear it with them for who knows what reason. So I'm guessing when they came in the execs said no. 

• Thanks 1