The official 2021-2022 "Gear sitings" thread

Steph Lawa

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Not really a huge or surprising update but vasilevskiy has switched to a Mach glove in the middle of playoffs

672084C2-AA86-421F-9059-4AC598C4B738.thumb.jpeg.329f54751c9821b9b23ba97653d820ce.jpeg

It’s a new glove for sure, he’s actually been using the Mach style glove with Hyperlite graphic since the end of April. His previous Mach glove did not have the new Bauer logo on the cuff though.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/18/2022 at 9:16 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

The only goalie I've cared about for the past month or so, Vasilevskiy has gone back to an NHL Spec CCM. Pretty sure this was a forced change going into playoffs because his last chest was confirmed to be oversized by Bauer.

tampa-bay-lightning-goaltender-andrei-vasilevskiy-during-warm-up-to-picture-id1241206286?s=2048x2048

I mean just look at last year's pic, there's some perspective magic going on, but looked def bloated from other pics

Although Louis Domingue says it's the tuck vs untuck look

Edited by johncho

18 minutes ago, johncho said:

I mean just look at last year's pic, there's some perspective magic going on, but looked def bloated from other pics

Untucking is a huge factor but it’s not going to be that drastic of a change. Especially in the shoulder area.

image.thumb.jpeg.9ed2f46928e8c28c2151785aed764425.jpeg

On 6/18/2022 at 6:16 PM, ThatCarGuy said:

The only goalie I've cared about for the past month or so, Vasilevskiy has gone back to an NHL Spec CCM. Pretty sure this was a forced change going into playoffs because his last chest was confirmed to be oversized by Bauer.

tampa-bay-lightning-goaltender-andrei-vasilevskiy-during-warm-up-to-picture-id1241206286?s=2048x2048

2 hours ago, johncho said:

Pretty sure Vasilevskiy switched back to a CCM Premier unit sometime last year. It's been a while since he was in a Bauer unit. 

6 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

I got it confirmed while I was on the phone with a rep

Whoa

So wait, not only did Tampa circumvent the cap by putting Kucherov on IR through most of the season, but Vasi was also wearing an illegal chesty?

How did his Bauer chest get through the KW inspection?  Or did it only come up because of the Price/Vasi pic above?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Chenner29 said:

Whoa

So wait, not only did Tampa circumvent the cap by putting Kucherov on IR through most of the season, but Vasi was also wearing an illegal chesty?

How did his Bauer chest get through the KW inspection?  Or did it only come up because of the Price/Vasi pic above?

Pretty sure there was suspicion all year that it was oversized. I never got a confirmed answer until presumably he was out of that chest. Images like this caused lots of doubt that the chest was legal. Part of the reason the arms look huge is because NHL arm restrictions mean the arms are actually deeper than they are wide so in theory if you wear the arm sideways you cover more  

image.thumb.jpeg.73fe458dbfb13e9f92241593fbef554c.jpeg
As @coopaloop1234 said, Vasi did switch at some point last season to the CCM. At least on the night of the Cup winning game he was wearing it

4F41AA33-0D1D-4339-88AA-940CEA996B82.webp

Edited by ThatCarGuy

3 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Pretty sure there was suspicion all year that it was oversized. I never got a confirmed answer until presumably he was out of that chest. Images like this caused lots of doubt that the chest was legal

As @coopaloop1234 said, Vasi did switch at some point last season to the CCM. At least on the night of the Cup winning game he was wearing it

4F41AA33-0D1D-4339-88AA-940CEA996B82.webp 209.71 kB · 1 download

He looks like me after I eat chipotle

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, ThatCarGuy said:

Pretty sure there was suspicion all year that it was oversized. I never got a confirmed answer until presumably he was out of that chest. Images like this caused lots of doubt that the chest was legal

4F41AA33-0D1D-4339-88AA-940CEA996B82.webp 209.71 kB · 1 download

Most people were up in arms once they saw the Price/Vasy handshake pics and that was when he was in a Premier unit and not Hyperlite. 

You can see a few pictures during the 2021 run where you can see the lower points that Premier units have protruding from his jersey. They have a pretty recognizable shape, even under a jersey.

Edited by coopaloop1234

41 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

Most people were up in arms once they saw the Price/Vasy handshake pics and that was when he was in a Premier unit and not Hyperlite. 

You can see a few pictures during the 2021 run where you can see the lower points that Premier units have protruding from his jersey. They have a pretty recognizable shape, even under a jersey.

I see what you did there

Did you see what you did there?

1 hour ago, Chenner29 said:

edited*** confirmed story, but was long before the new chest. 

There was a story, and I want to say it came from InGoal, but the story highlighted Victor Fasth and his Bauer 1S chest got pulled after it was previously accepted based on how he looked on tv. 

Fasth confirmed to InGoal Magazine late in the season that the NHL cut the shoulder pads on his chest-and-arm unit this season, but that didn’t happen until after he was already off to an 8-0-0 start to his NHL career. To be clear, Fasth wasn’t cheating. The NHL approved his gear, as it does with every piece of goalie equipment, and neither Fasth nor the Ducks made unapproved alterations. The shoulders simply looked bigger on him than expected. 

Edited by RedX
  • Confused 1

Sooo legal - but penalized for looks??? Shiiit. I should be racking up fines left and right. Was a wonder Hank wasn't run out of the league.

42 minutes ago, RedX said:

There was a story, and I want to say it came from InGoal, but the story highlighted Victor Fasth and his Bauer 1S chest got pulled after it was previously accepted based on how he looked on tv. 

Fasth confirmed to InGoal Magazine late in the season that the NHL cut the shoulder pads on his chest-and-arm unit this season, but that didn’t happen until after he was already off to an 8-0-0 start to his NHL career. To be clear, Fasth wasn’t cheating. The NHL approved his gear, as it does with every piece of goalie equipment, and neither Fasth nor the Ducks made unapproved alterations. The shoulders simply looked bigger on him than expected. 

1 hour ago, RedX said:

Kind of ridiculous, lol

"Here's some dimensions and rules which we feel will make it fair while still protecting the goalie"

"Nevermind, it looks too big on TV"

Lets not forget that HOW you wear the chest protector can give an optical advantage. Not saying someone cheated here but we aren't in the trenches hearing and seeing all that goes on.

If you take a current NHL approved unit, loosen the back straps a little, loosen the arm floaters elastics a little and if possible reposition the shoulder wings, you could end up looking like Giguere and still be within regulations. Just look at how sloppy Tokarsky looked in his set up. I thought he was simply overweight lolll. Look how massive Lehner is yet he's all legal and wears his snug to the body. 

• Like 1