Pekka Rinne Retires

seagoal

1 hour ago, ilyazhito said:

That's an interesting technique. Not one that goalie coaches recommend, but fun to watch for sure. 

I'm not sure about that.  It's fairly common now for goalies to project hands forward in all situations.  Rinne worked with Mitch Korn for a long time. 

39 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

I think he was mostly referring to trying to catch pucks when a simple belly save is a better/safer option.

Yeah, I got it.  That's a rather unusual example of the general idea of projecting hands forward and making contact with pucks sooner rather than later, if possible.  It's certainly not something I do, I would much rather take pucks to the belly. 

But I don't know, if the goal of either a glove save or a belly save is to "catch" a puck and produce no rebound, if a goalie is confident in their glove and practices that technique to the point of routinely making that save, I can't see it as a less safe option.  Not all belly saves end up "caught", sometimes they pop out.

Just now, seagoal said:

Yeah, I got it.  That's a rather unusual example of the general idea of projecting hands forward and making contact with pucks sooner rather than later, if possible.  It's certainly not something I do, I would much rather take pucks to the belly. 

But I don't know, if the goal of either a glove save or a belly save is to "catch" a puck and produce no rebound, if a goalie is confident in their glove and practices that technique to the point of routinely making that save, I can't see it as a less safe option.  Not all belly saves end up "caught", sometimes they pop out.

The margin for error for catching a puck that's heading center mass, vs trying to corral it with your body is quite a bit different.

If you're able to react to a puck that's heading straight at you enough to get your catcher in front of it, you've also got enough time to properly absorb any shot that hits you in the chest as well as put your catcher in front you ensure it doesn't bounce out.

There's a reason why even the pros aren't attempting it regularly. The risk/reward just isn't there.

Take the less risky maneuver that produces far more consistent results.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

The margin for error for catching a puck that's heading center mass, vs trying to corral it with your body is quite a bit different.

If you're able to react to a puck that's heading straight at you enough to get your catcher in front of it, you've also got enough time to properly absorb any shot that hits you in the chest as well as put your catcher in front you ensure it doesn't bounce out.

There's a reason why even the pros aren't attempting it regularly. The risk/reward just isn't there.

Take the less risky maneuver that produces far more consistent results.

Fair enough.  Makes sense to me.  I fall in line with most goalies here, too.  I guess the only real point I'm making is Rinne was a notable exception to this and was pretty good at it. 

P.S. Coop, that dark blue set is so drooly, haha

Edited by seagoal

2 minutes ago, seagoal said:

Fair enough.  Makes sense to me.  I fall in line with most goalies here, too.  I guess the only real point I'm making is Rinne was a notable exception to this and was pretty good at it. 

P.S. Coop, that dark blue set is so drooly, haha

There's always going to be stand outs at the pro level. Hell, look at how Lundqvist and Smith were able to play at such a high level while standing on the goal line.

And 100%. That's my favourite set of his. I think he was getting tired of getting outclassed by Soros in the style department.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, coopaloop1234 said:

There's always going to be stand outs at the pro level. Hell, look at how Lundqvist and Smith were able to play at such a high level while standing on the goal line.

And 100%. That's my favourite set of his. I think he was getting tired of getting outclassed by Soros in the style department.

Lundqvist stands out to me as quite strange in style and position.  Such an odd goalie to watch.  Pretty fun and entertaining, though.

Also, @Chenner29 is jumping in here with geometric charts and graphs with instagram links in like 10 seconds...... ;)

Edited by seagoal

By the way, there will be a lot of videos on youtube tonight covering the ceremony in Nashville.  I'm going to see Bruins at Kraken tonight and will be late to that party.  I grant any of you permission to post all Rinne videos that come out tonight into this thread :)