WillyGrips13's GoPro Adventure

WillyGrips13

This is from last Friday. It was unseasonably warm, near 60 degrees F and it was pouring rain outside the rink. There was fog and it was oppressive. I played in two hour long skates back to back. The second one was a little better in terms of comfort. The camera cut out a little early. Maybe due to the humidity.

In the second skate I got into it with one of the guys. He is a bit of a loud mouth and he started in on me in the lockerroom, so I gave it back to him, too. He started on my side and switched to the other side to go against me. He’s the one I rob late in the video. I let him have it after that. Although he did score at the end, however the camera was off by then, so it never happened.B|

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Short video this time. The other goalie no-showed. Instead of having the teams switch directions every so often, they had me switch periodically. I didn't feel like moving the camera, so the only footage you see here is me on the near side. Of course, I faced plenty of action on the far end, but I look like an ant on screen. I haven't figured out how to zoom in on the footage in GoPro Studio. Maybe I'd need to use iMovie instead. Of course, it wouldn't be worth it to see low quality long distance footage for long periods.

It was a nice night for weather.

2 hours ago, Fullright said:

Great job in both particularly in the fog films. Lol, on the glove during the fog. Nice grab! You moved pretty well both ways. Legs healed up?

Yes I think I’m healed [knock on wood]. Now it’s just managing all the aches and pains associated with playing goal at 40 years old and being the least flexible goalie ever. I played a long shinny-type skate as a skater last night, this Friday video for an hour and Thursday night I played goal on a friend’s backyard rink for a few hours. I’ve already been asked to play tonight and I’ve turned it down in part due to not wanting to wear myself down. I am on my feet all day at work, so that contributes to achiness. Here are a few pictures of the backyard rink. 

2286C52D-9726-4EC0-95A3-891C7021F9CA.jpeg

FB19CE3F-320F-4BD5-B47D-57A3F3AB3ADE.jpeg

Here's Friday's skate. Once again I was on the better team. I let the other goalie pick the side and he chose the end with more action. I was somewhat lazy and stayed on my feet a lot. The lack of dynamic attack allowed me to do that. I also tend to use the paddle down when I am being lazy. I finally taped up a new stick I got in the summer and used it for the second time here. Nice to be able to pass the puck firmly. The last 5-10 minutes of the skate is missing because either the battery died or the extreme cold made the GoPro fail. Speaking of cold, I wore a hockey sock on my helmet to help insulate my head. I ended up looking like Vermeer's famous Girl with the Pearl Earring painting from 1665.

kja-1326-500x500.jpg

Thanks.

I decided to try the side board angle again, but without the fisheye effect hoping I wouldn't appear so tiny on the screen. I still appear tiny, so I decided to edit the film in iMovie with allows cropping. Unfortunately, the application suggested I import the footage at a lower resolution. And when I tried to export the video at the highest resolution possible it cuts out the sound. So I exported at a lower resolution to include the sound. I may go back and edit the footage in GoPro Studio which wouldn't allow me to crop it, but at least it would be at a higher resolution. Also, I cropped each scene differently based on where the action occurred in the screen. It may be hard to watch because of that. Let me know how you think I should go with that. For reference, the last scene of me pushing the goal out of screen is uncropped.

Edit: I did indeed re-edit the footage at higher resolution using the GoPro Studio application. See following post.

This is a long one. Over an hour and a half skate and I had plenty of action. This was from Tuesday and it's a regular group of guys. It's at the regular indoor facility in the same town that has the outdoor rink that I post the weekly videos from. Some of the same guys play at both skates. The GoPro fell with twenty or so minutes to go. I asked the player who picked it up to put it on the top of the net. He actually put it so it was pointing perfectly into the crease. The end of the video has that vantage point. It was an interesting view to see my feet. It also showed how unnecessary some of the pad straps are. Also, do those John Brown pants make my butt look big?

There was one guy who I would later find out played at Hobart College(Division III NEHC) and is still in game shape. He scored most of the goals against me. I had trouble keeping up with him. I left in the video plays where he missed the net or hit the post because I'm counting them as saves :giggle:. He took his shirt off in the locker room and his muscles had muscles. He was stacked. I think you'll see pretty quickly which one he is.

Skilled player + time + space + deceptively quick release + shots well placed (with a backhander harder than most of the other skaters' shots) = Willy playing his ass off. Very well done. After that first shot off the inside of the post, your approach went up a few levels.

I’ll be honest I don’t know how you guys do hour and a half - 2hour skates. When I have a shinny the ice is garbage after 45 minutes and the pace slows down and defence completely disappears=not a great time to be a goalie, haha. I thought you played well @WillyGrips13 as the skate went on you kind of put together “a book” on the college guy and were shutting him down a lot more. He definitely has a quick hard accurate shot and it is a tough adjustment when the other shots you face aren’t at that caliber. 

Here's the regular Friday night group. My performance was uneven. I made some good saves, but all the goals were preventable with the worst one being the nightmare goal from the shot in the corner of the rink. Granted my team was pretty horrid in front of me at times, but I still could have played better. No matter, there was plenty of beer afterward plus I looked awesome in my Sharks Nabokov jersey.

@WillyGrips13 “Look good, feel good, play good” that’s what I say. I really enjoy your videos. Yours is the style of play I aspire to. You are really good at recovering fast, getting into position, quick on your feet, challenging the shooter when appropriate and you’re really economical with your movement. Active stick seems to really serve you well too. As an average sized-dude, I’m realizing the 100% blocking style isn’t going to work for me so watching your videos give me a lot of ideas I can (hopefully) emulate. Great job!

Thanks fellas. "Really economical with your movement" is due to laziness at times. I try to maximize my ability to not move when possible.

Here is last Friday's skate. Took a while to edit since I've been busy this past week. Not too much going on here, I was on the better team and the pace of play was kind of slow. Notice how I am super square to the shots coming from the corner of the rink. I didn't want to allow another goal like last week's shot from the corner. The only goal they scored, I shifted just as he shot which allowed the puck to pass me on the outside of the pant leg. It likely would have hit me in the middle of the pant leg had I remained where I was. Only two more weeks of this skate, weather permitting until they melt the ice for the season.

Nice job overall and that was a tremendous blocker save at 1:48! Sucks you didn't get the whitewash. No need to mention about staying set until the shot is released. :)

Technical question. Sometimes you stay on your feet, skate wedged against the post, and block the pass from below the goal line to the slot with the blade of your stick (old way). Other times, you go to your knees and block the pass with your paddle (new way). What do you see that makes you use one or the other? I generally default to the old way because I am just hard coded to do it, I don't want someone to fall on my arm, and, most importantly, being relatively small, when I am down, I've zero chance if the pass makes it out unless the shooter hits me with the shot. If the shooter shoots to the middle or long side of the net, it is in unless I get very lucky.

@Fullright, the blocker save at 1:48 actually went of the stick shaft just above the blocker, so there was an element of luck involved.

It’s a good question about whether I’m up or down when on the post. I’m not sure it’s an easy answer. I think I’m more likely to be down if the player with the puck is closer and may wrap the puck . Also if I’m down on one post and I need to move the other post, sliding while down can be more efficient if I would need to be down on that new post. Other times I’m down because I was already down due to a shot and the puck is now in the corner and I really don’t feel like getting up yet B|. Of course, taking quick looks at dangerous areas like the slot to see what the danger is will help with decisions of this nature. Keep in mind this particular skate is not of the highest level so I can get away with some shortcuts.

Here is this Friday's skate. Once again I was on the better team. I let the other goalie choose the side and I just go to the other end. Poor guy had no defense. He was playing like Jonathan Quick, was aggressive and flexible, but goals were flying in despite all his efforts. @Fullright I put in a lot of footage of me on the post and moving from post to post while down or up with some context to see when I use which method. BTW, this skate goes for roughly an hour of gameplay and I feel that's perfect for keeping the play resembling real hockey. I skate as an out player on Saturday nights in the rink by me and it's full shinny for almost two hours. Very little defense and goalies have very little chance to keep the goal totals down. Sometimes I score a goal almost apologetically due to how open I am and how vulnerable the goalie is.

This was the last skate at this rink for the season. They melt the ice this week. This skate was very offensive. I had six go by me, yet we scored that many and more. A lot of goals in an hour of gametime. I was ok. A few of the goals were excellently taken as the white team had two solid goalscorers. I could have done a little better, but my team defense was at times a mess paired with excellent attack resulting in goals. We had plenty of food and drink after the skate to close out the season. 

Archived